Elmas At 5Star

[quote name='littlec' timestamp='1331746235' post='542522']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1331740544' post='542505']
[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1331738470' post='542502']
[quote name='twoapplesplease' timestamp='1331727314' post='542494']
Yeah..papatya is a bit much

however if one day I buy a new hookah it will be this one
[url="http://nargilestore.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=85335"]http://nargilestore....productId=85335[/url]
[/quote]

those are nice as well, The tray looks cool on those, but i think it costs 200-240+shipping usd is my rough guess. Cant imagine how much the papatya would go for
[/quote]

5Star has the Papatya up. It's $499, which is too high, IMO. Had Mahir not gotten the 628 and 618 models first, 5Star would have priced theirs a LOT higher I bet. I think the only reason the Papatya is so high is because Mahir doesn't have it listed on his site, so 5Star feels they can charge more for it since they're the only ones who have it. Again, just my opinion, may be totally off-base...

Justin, that is probably the most gorgeous Elmas model I've seen yet. Would be extremely awesome if it had the lotus tray on it, like the Papatya has. What's the model number for that pipe, and how much would it cost shipped to the US? Not that I'm going to get it; just curious.

EDIT: Sorry Lunch, I thought you meant how much the Papatya would be at 5Star. Now I realize you meant from that site Justin linked to. I think... haha.
[/quote]

Yeah no that's not true, Mahir quoted me a little over $500, something like $525 maybe a bit more. This was a like a month ago.

5star pricing scheme is along the same lines as Mahir's.
[/quote]

Nope, I didn't quote that for a Papatya....that was for the Osmanli which is the 701, Elmas's most expensive pipe they have to offer.

I am not commenting on the $499 pricepoint at aid vendor. But what I will say is, those of you who did ask me a price quote for the Papatya know what I quoted and you could share with the world the shipped pricing I gave you.

The currency throws me off with the commas. Im assuming those are decemal spots. If so you round up lets say:437,50tl to 438
conversion charts put that around 438.0 TRY = 245.039077579 USD of course i can be doing this all wrong.

btw on that german nargile site is says "+KDV" does anyone know what that stands for?

edit: These hookahs all seem very heavy and shipping across the globe is probably just as much as a pipe itself Edited by king_lunchb0x

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1331756084' post='542541']
The currency throws me off with the commas. Im assuming those are decemal spots. If so you round up lets say:437,50tl to 438
conversion charts put that around 438.0 TRY = 245.039077579 USD of course i can be doing this all wrong.

btw on that german nargile site is says "+KDV" does anyone know what that stands for?

edit: These hookahs all seem very heavy and shipping across the globe is probably just as much as a pipe itself
[/quote]

438 is 245 USD, you did it right. KDV, which actually should be on the Turkish site (Nargilestore), is VAT, which you can think of as sales tax, although it's a bit different. For orders outside Turkey, you do NOT pay KDV.

And yes, shipping is a lot to the States, about 1/3 less to Europe.

Mahir quoted me a [u][b]very[/b][/u] fair price on the Papatya. I'm tempted to go ahead and say yes, but my girlfriend's car has a broken motor mount and non-functioning ac compressor. Gotta please the lady before buying the toys. The weather is warming up and I know she's not wanting to drive without air conditioning. I'll probably know after this weekend.

Hi folks, relatively new poster here. I recently started collecting pipes. I contacted Elmas directly about a month ago to ask about pricing for the Papatya shipped to the US, and was quoted 400 + 100 shipping to Portland OR, so 500 total. I was quoted significantly more from the German site, approx 630 shipped. So the 499 pricing on 5star (with free shipping) is right in line with what I was quoted straight from the manufacturer, and it is being shipped from the US, without having to deal with customs, language barriers (although Google Translate makes this easier), Western Union, etc. I'm sure Alex is making a bit of profit on these having likely negotitated volume pricing and combined shipped discounts, which is understandable. I just wanted to share the figures I was given to show that his pricing seems appropriate.

I decided to pass on the Elmas and instead purchased a brass El Nefes Sultan from Julyano (Hookahjulio on his youtube videos). I liked the idea of a modernized wide-gauge Turkish pipe with a purge valve (although common chamber and not as effective as a traditional purge, it's better than nothing), as well as the detailed lotus tray, without the silly captain's wheel on the Papatya. Came to 100+75 shipped from Hungary and includes a red Turkish glass vase and washable hose, it just cleared NYC customs and should be here in a few days. I'll post detailed photos and a review when I get it. Just bought an Elmas hose to go with it from 5star, should help give it a slightly more restrictive pull and look nicer. Edited by mcclureit

So I noticed something interesting, but maybe this is just an Elmas thing done by the bunch.

The 639 Hassouni reviewed had a curved hose port. The brass 639 on 5star has a straight one

On Nazar, the 618 has a straight port, but on 5star its curved.

Is this something they change by batch??

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1331776402' post='542593']
So I noticed something interesting, but maybe this is just an Elmas thing done by the bunch.

The 639 Hassouni reviewed had a curved hose port. The brass 639 on 5star has a straight one

[/quote]

very good observation, must vary what ever the hell elmas picks up is what goes on..the 639 nickel model has the curved like hassouni's...

I only smoke Nakhla out of my Elmas bowls. So I cant say I have that problem because there are no juices to run down.

[quote name='mcclureit' timestamp='1331770958' post='542578']
Hi folks, relatively new poster here. I recently started collecting pipes. I contacted Elmas directly about a month ago to ask about pricing for the Papatya shipped to the US, and was quoted 400 + 100 shipping to Portland OR, so 500 total. I was quoted significantly more from the German site, approx 630 shipped. So the 499 pricing on 5star (with free shipping) is right in line with what I was quoted straight from the manufacturer, and it is being shipped from the US, without having to deal with customs, language barriers (although Google Translate makes this easier), Western Union, etc. I'm sure Alex is making a bit of profit on these having likely negotitated volume pricing and combined shipped discounts, which is understandable. I just wanted to share the figures I was given to show that his pricing seems appropriate.

I decided to pass on the Elmas and instead purchased a brass El Nefes Sultan from Julyano (Hookahjulio on his youtube videos). I liked the idea of a modernized wide-gauge Turkish pipe with a purge valve (although common chamber and not as effective as a traditional purge, it's better than nothing), as well as the detailed lotus tray, without the silly captain's wheel on the Papatya. Came to 100+75 shipped from Hungary and includes a red Turkish glass vase and washable hose, it just cleared NYC customs and should be here in a few days. I'll post detailed photos and a review when I get it. Just bought an Elmas hose to go with it from 5star, should help give it a slightly more restrictive pull and look nicer.
[/quote]

What site did you go about ordering this from?

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1331751102' post='542533']
Hmm. I was thinking the 638 was more around $300-400 had Mahir imported it. Guess I remembered wrong. $500-525 is much too expensive no matter what, IMO. These are hookahs, people! Haha.
[/quote]

All I can say is: it isn't a hookah, not in the same way that a Mya or a KM is a hookah. Imagine if this stuff was made in a first-world country with this level of craftsmanship. The time and effort put in, as well as the skill involved, has got to be huge. I love my Mya Vento, but it's a utilitarian device. I happen to think it's still very attractive, but that doesn't make it any less of a utilitarian, mass-produced thing. An enormous, complex, highly-etched, handmade brass hookah is a work of art, and I think you have to think of it in those terms when you consider its cost. It may fundamentally function no better than a KM, but its function is beside the point. Edited by Christopher Mason Taylor

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331777942' post='542603']
Hmm. I was thinking the 638 was more around $300-400 had Mahir imported it. Guess I remembered wrong. $500-525 is much too expensive no matter what, IMO. These are hookahs, people! Haha.
[/quote]

All I can say is: it isn't a hookah, not in the same way that a Mya or a KM is a hookah. Imagine if this stuff was made in a first-world country with this level of craftsmanship. The time and effort put in, as well as the skill involved, has got to be huge. I love my Mya Vento, but it's a utilitarian device. I happen to think it's still very attractive, but that doesn't make it any less of a utilitarian, mass-produced thing. An enormous, complex, highly-etched, handmade brass hookah is a work of art, and I think you have to think of it in those terms when you consider its cost. It may fundamentally function no better than a KM, but its function is beside the point.
[/quote]

I think what Chris was trying to say is that almost any Elmas will smoke like any other Elmas. Comparing an Elmas to a KM or a MYA, the Elmas will perform different and IMO, much better.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1331778354' post='542605']
[/quote]

All I can say is: it isn't a hookah, not in the same way that a Mya or a KM is a hookah. Imagine if this stuff was made in a first-world country with this level of craftsmanship. The time and effort put in, as well as the skill involved, has got to be huge. I love my Mya Vento, but it's a utilitarian device. I happen to think it's still very attractive, but that doesn't make it any less of a utilitarian, mass-produced thing. An enormous, complex, highly-etched, handmade brass hookah is a work of art, and I think you have to think of it in those terms when you consider its cost. It may fundamentally function no better than a KM, but its function is beside the point.
[/quote]

I think what Chris was trying to say is that almost any Elmas will smoke like any other Elmas. Comparing an Elmas to a KM or a MYA, the Elmas will perform different and IMO, much better.
[/quote]

That's fine. I was just saying in addition to being a (in the opinion of many, truly excellent) hookah, it's an art object. Pricing comparisons between art objects is much murkier than on purely utilitarian devices. And I suspect a great part of the Papatya's added expense comes from the added labor, creative work & craftsmanship that went into it.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1331777917' post='542601']
[quote name='mcclureit' timestamp='1331770958' post='542578']

I decided to pass on the Elmas and instead purchased a brass El Nefes Sultan from Julyano (Hookahjulio on his youtube videos). I liked the idea of a modernized wide-gauge Turkish pipe with a purge valve (although common chamber and not as effective as a traditional purge, it's better than nothing), as well as the detailed lotus tray, without the silly captain's wheel on the Papatya. Came to 100+75 shipped from Hungary and includes a red Turkish glass vase and washable hose, it just cleared NYC customs and should be here in a few days. I'll post detailed photos and a review when I get it. Just bought an Elmas hose to go with it from 5star, should help give it a slightly more restrictive pull and look nicer.
[/quote]

What site did you go about ordering this from?
[/quote]

http://www.vizipipavasarlas.hu/el-nefes-sultan-vizipipa-70-cm2.html

The site wouldn't let me list USA as a country to ship to, so I used google translate on the page to change it to english, emailed the contact information in English and Hungarian (again, google translate, although julyano writes decent English), and asked for a shipping quote. He was very responsive, takes MF so no western union fees to deal with, and had great communication, even sent me pictures of the different bases to choose from and sent me a picture of exactly what I was getting before he shipped.

I might have to pick this up because the lotus tray is so beautiful and much more affordable than the top end Elmas model's with the lotus..but I cant say I am a huge fan of the open KM style draws anymore. Do a review when you receive it!

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1331779931' post='542615']
I might have to pick this up because the lotus tray is so beautiful and much more affordable than the top end Elmas model's with the lotus..but I cant say I am a huge fan of the open KM style draws anymore. Do a review when you receive it!
[/quote]

Get a narrower hose?

[quote name='mcclureit' timestamp='1331779741' post='542614']

[url="http://www.vizipipavasarlas.hu/el-nefes-sultan-vizipipa-70-cm2.html"]http://www.vizipipav...ipa-70-cm2.html[/url]

The site wouldn't let me list USA as a country to ship to, so I used google translate on the page to change it to english, emailed the contact information in English and Hungarian (again, google translate, although julyano writes decent English), and asked for a shipping quote. He was very responsive, takes MF so no western union fees to deal with, and had great communication, even sent me pictures of the different bases to choose from and sent me a picture of exactly what I was getting before he shipped.
[/quote]

That pipe is stunning.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1331776402' post='542593']

[/quote]

Hmm, good eye. I hadn't noticed this. My 618 has the straight one, and I must say, it's really nice. Keeps the hose tip firmly in place, no risk of it falling out. Now I'm not sure about the curved style, but I'd imagine it's more susceptible to falling out- simple law of gravity. That simple law of gravity proves itself on heavier hoseport end hoses on my KM OG Trimetal, which has quite a curved hose port. Because of it, I only use my Razan on my KM, which lacks a heavy hoseport handle, thus no weight and no risk of falling out. All a matter of which gaskets you use as well, of course. The KM Beast hose I had (which had an extremely heavy hoseport handle) I couldn't use a gasket with- just had to stick it straight in and hope for the best (it did well, but always scared me a bit).

Overall, I'd choose straight port over curved port. ;)

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331777514' post='542599']
Have any of you Elmas users noticed that the male-tipped bowls tend to exacerbate the problem of juices flowing down the stem? It seems like it would be really bad about that.
[/quote]

Nope, I have not. That's with using Tangiers in mine (the Elmas clay bowl) as well one time. Obviously juices were there with the Tangiers, but no more than it would have been had I been using a female Egyptian clay bowl. Nakhla there were no juices down the stem, same as Float said, because Nakhla is too dry, thus no juices to worry about really. I don't really consider juices running down the stem a worry in the first place though- it all gets cleaned up when I'm done smoking anyway.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just could never justify spending that much for a hookah, piece of art or not (and I agree with you that the Elmas ARE pieces of art). That was my only point. :)

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331777514' post='542599']
Have any of you Elmas users noticed that the male-tipped bowls tend to exacerbate the problem of juices flowing down the stem? It seems like it would be really bad about that.
[/quote]

This is what makes a male bowl so much better - the juices run into your water, and not on gumming up on your tray. Makes cleanup MUCH easier, and who knows, may add flavor?

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1331780144' post='542616'] [quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1331779931' post='542615'] I might have to pick this up because the lotus tray is so beautiful and much more affordable than the top end Elmas model's with the lotus..but I cant say I am a huge fan of the open KM style draws anymore. Do a review when you receive it! [/quote] Get a narrower hose? [/quote]

I just feel like its a combination of everything that makes the Turkish pipes so good, a mix of the more restricted draw pared with the restriction and materials that the Turkish hoses use.

On a different tangent, I happened to notice that 5star is selling just the Elmas hoses for less than Mahir is.

• 4 weeks later...
5star has a new Elmas for sale and it's only $120, so that's cheaper that what's out there for anyone wanting to get into Elmas.

[url="http://5starhookah.com/Civelek-Brass-632-ELMBM.htm"]http://5starhookah.com/Civelek-Brass-632-ELMBM.htm[/url]