Buying A New Car! 11" Challenger Srt8 Vs 11" Lancer Evo. X Gsr Opinions!

A13lackFish

Car Choices!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Car Should I Get?

• 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8
    • 2011 Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR

Hey Ladies and Gents. Basically based on my new big boy job, and a significant graduation gift from the Pops im in the market for a new (used) vehicle to replace my 96" Saab 900Se Turbo. The options are both 2011 models of the vehicles, one being the Dodge Challenger SRT8 and one the Misubishi Evolution X GSR.

Color Options:

Challenger:
White With Black Stripe Down Center. & Eventual Black Wheels
or
Blue With White Stripe Down Center. & Eventual Black Wheels Traced With Matching Blue Along The Edges of the Spokes

Evo:
White With Eventual Carbon Fiber Mirrors, And Hood. and White Wheels
or
Blue With Eventual Carbon Fiber Mirrors, And Hood. and Black Wheels

Any opinions & reasons why youd pick one over the other are greatly appreciated as this is a big decision for me!!

Ok, hard choice.
Both are insanely sick cars, but if I had to choose (providing both are stick shift) Id have to go with the SRT-8.
Especially if you are down with opening up the flow and throwing on an aftermarket exhaust, or just ripping out the mufflers. haha
I also dig your idea of the blue set up on the Challenger.

Gas mileage wont be as good as the evo, and I highly doubt the handling will be on par, but there is just something raw about a big engine, and RWD. And thats coming from someone whose daily driver has only been AWD.

Not to mention just based off pure looks. This is obviously heavily opinionated, but the Challenger just screams style with a beautiful throw back design, when a time of bad-assery was measured in cubic inches, where the only thing people really cared about was quarter miles; a raw time.
The Evo however, not trying to be judgmental to the people who buy it, kind of just looks like a "boy-racer" tuner car. For me, it doesnt evoke that giddy indescribable feeling that turns you on when looking at a car.

This doesnt mean I dont like the look of the Evo, hell, it looks furious; like it wants to devour your insides, but when it comes to looks, I gotta give it to the throw back classic design.

Like mentioned earlier in this post, this is going to be incredibly opinionated since, well, your asking for peoples opinion. Not really a clear cut answer. Just dont base your opinion off of those "0-60" times that people love throwing around. Test drive both, get a feel for both. On paper they are fairly similar, but in real life, I sure as hell dont know. ;) Never driven either.

I have driven neither on a day to day basis, but I have driven both a time or two.
Based on my experiences with them, I'd choose the Evo.

I truly hate to say it, being a die hard american made fan for so many years, but US manufacturing has gone down hill. Sitting inside a Challenger and touching the nobs, and shifter and all of that stuff.. they just feel so cheap and plastic-y

The Mitsubishi, on the other hand, feel like a car should feel, Especially for the kind of money you put into them.

That being said, Grock is right about the V8.. there is NOTHING comparable to those big ass engines in a RWD car. The Challenger will bring out the playfulness in you, which will be a blast, but it will also be dangerous. Being that it is RWD, it will be a LOT easier to lose control of. Yes, they have traction control, but I guarantee that won't stop you from doing some sick as doughnuts! lol

I've always been a fan of a great balance of both handling AND power, and I think the Evo captures that perfectly. Not only are they fast as fuck, but they handle like a DREAM.
I think in the long run, the Challenger would get you off in the short term, but in the long run, you'd be much happier with an Evo.

They are two different breeds of car... Do you want "American muscle" with tons of power and manliness with horrible gas mileage or a "tuner" with excellent handling and whatnot?

For me, after owning a Mustang and Focus (still have it now), I'd choose the Evo... Just seems more fun to me, and better mileage while you're at it. My Mustang had the get up and go, but my Focus wins when it comes to handling curves and shit. I know these are different cars than what you're looking at, but from my experience they make a good example of muscle vs. tuner. Unless you plan on racing, the power from the Challenger is not as important as the what the Evo can offer you. The Evo will be more fun to drive on the streets, I'd say.

So yeah, what are YOU looking for in a car?

Also, what are the price differences? Is that a factor for you as well?

And can I just say I'd LOVE to get an Evo? Haha. My car is almost paid off, though, so it would be wise for me to keep it...

Take them both to your mechanic and have him look at them to make sure everything is fine on them and tell you what he thinks is going to end up costing you the least over the next 10 years, because according to every financial adviser in the world, you're supposed to keep a car 10 years. Which kinda means keeping the one you have and putting the money away for say a house down the road, etc., for another four years. But if your ride is a problem and needs replacing, then I'd go with what the mechanic tells me first. Especially if you like them both.

'Rani

Test drive both, two different types of cars. Evo X has amazing handling and speed, the challenger is american muscle and mainly straight line power. Both looks good in my opinion. Take each car out for a test drive, if it were me I would take the Evo X, more all around car and you can drive it in the Winter.

Haha Gramps, yes real cars.

Rani, no matter which I do go with I plan to get a full inspection on it before I buy it, and either one I plan to keep for the next 10 years plus, well into the hundreds of thousands of miles.

Chris, I do agree, the handling will be more agile in the Evo, which I do of course enjoy. I do know they are both opposite breeds of cars in their entirety (hence why I've come to you all for some nice opinionated answers!) I'm currently on the fence at the moment as I've only driven both a hand full of times (none of which I got a full bodied trial in). Overall its going to be a tough choice to make, as if I go with the challenger I sacrifice maneuverability for raw power. Prices are currently for the models im looking to get in the 35-40k range (as the Dad is planning on matching however much I put in and then letting me pay him back interest free over the next couple years) so 40k is my limit as I still want to move out this year.

Nate I have to agree with you buddy, it does have a somewhat plastic-y interior. Both actually do as unfortunately that's how cars are made these days. At the same time though I am also checking out the 2012 SRT8 392 which has a nicer interior. Either way I do plan to swap out nearly all the interior panels with a nice beige or black leather eventually, and get the paneling on the dash of either car redone. The stick shift knob can always be changed out obviously in a flash, and the center console (radio etc) I already plan to install a new aftermarket system into either way (as i do alot of car electronics on my own). Danger wise neither will be out of my limit as I obviously plan to learn the proper shifting technique before I begin pushing the vehicle to the floorboards. But I must say either way that outside of the pure raw force the challenger offers and the unique styling I know I would likely enjoy the Evo in the very long term.

Grock, either way I plan to revamp the exhaust system and likely supercharge the vehicle (unless i get the srt8 392 which I believe comes stock SCharged) The gas mileage is of course a huge hit as the challenger with a floorboard push gets like 12 MPG which is terrible and on average around 16-18. I do agree though there is a certain "toy" feel to the evo which the slightly more manly Challenger doesnt give off.

Either way its going to be a tough decision but I just found out I will be matched for whatever money I put in so the moment I hit an extra 15k (so like 3-4 months) im getting it.

Keep those opinions rolling!!! :)

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1330649819' post='541126']
Oh, you mean these are "real" cars! I thought you talking about models less than a foot long. :lol:
[/quote]That's what I was thinking! Why not just get both....an 11" model car can't be THAT expensive!

I'm actually looking at a '12 Toyota 86/Scion FR-S.......mmmmmmm, Trueno. Edited by Arcane

Scion FR-S aka GT86

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-scion-fr-s-first-drive-review

Subaru BRZ

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-brz-sports-car-first-drive-review

The BRZ is the Subaru version of the Scion FR-S

Nope and Nope for both, as much as I like Subies I would take the Evo X anyday as it has better everything atm.

Unfortunately I dont like Scions. Pity since they are super affordable.

At this moment though I am now officially leaning towards the SRT8 392 Challenger, better gas mileage (18-23) 470BHP, and (thank god) much tighter handling and suspension. Hmm decisions decisions.

Yeah the new SRT-8 is pretty unbelievable. I hate pulling up the 0-60 times, buts its quite shocking that its numbers are on par with the Evo, especially since the SRT is RWD. Also like you said, they have revamped the suspension compared to the older models. Gotta be sooo much fun to drive.

Over the recent couple years, American companies have had no choice but to step their game up exponentially. I am a pretty die hard Euro fan, but domestic have been damn impressive recently.

Definitely post pictures when you get either! :D

Oh and out of curiosity, what makes you exclude Ford?

2012 GT500 is mind blowing and upper $40's. Albeit slightly out of budget, that thing would be ridiculous.

A Motorcycle I already own (Suzuki 900RF)

As for the GT500, I mainly am avoiding it due to alot of reviews saying its "jumpy" aka it tried to hard to be a mix of both which unfortunately just makes the ride constantly uncomfortable. Pity as I do agree it looks gorgeous, but I think ill be happy with either of the aforementioned two.

And believe me, Ill post quite a few on every social site im on the moment I get it haha.

Dodge has had a seemingly endless string of recalls on their stuff. I [u]really[/u] don't like the tremec 6060 gearbox. Seems to find it's way into everything made in the USA with 400+SHP. Every last one of them sucks 1/2, and the faster you try to change gears, the worse it is. Before you buy one, wait for a cool day, and try a few semi-zelous 1/2 changes with 4K+ on the engine. Try a few 3/2 downshifts at speed, Bet it grinds, or at least fights back. Once they warm up they get better, but skipping second with a new car is enough to send me the other way. If I want to drive something I have to double clutch I have a bunch of vintage military iron to play with.

Same gearbox is in vette, gt500, viper, camaro, some trucks... it's garbage. Hate to see anyone spend their bucks on something that is going to be less than they expected.

Lancer may be a better bet.

i like the evo idea but, i wuld get the Subaru STI becuase the new evos the car does most the handling and the car drives it self becuase of the new computer, and the subarus you have more control

Pavo thats unfortunately flat wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love the STI but the Evo X on every scale (speed, maneuverability, and overall control) is better. Wish it wasnt as I do prefer the look of the new STI over the new Evo X but facts are facts. Both are sexy but one is better than the other.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1330755814' post='541248']
Dodge has had a seemingly endless string of recalls on their stuff. I [u]really[/u] don't like the tremec 6060 gearbox. Seems to find it's way into everything made in the USA with 400+SHP. Every last one of them sucks 1/2, and the faster you try to change gears, the worse it is. Before you buy one, wait for a cool day, and try a few semi-zelous 1/2 changes with 4K+ on the engine. Try a few 3/2 downshifts at speed, Bet it grinds, or at least fights back. Once they warm up they get better, but skipping second with a new car is enough to send me the other way. If I want to drive something I have to double clutch I have a bunch of vintage military iron to play with.

Same gearbox is in vette, gt500, viper, camaro, some trucks... it's garbage. Hate to see anyone spend their bucks on something that is going to be less than they expected.

Lancer may be a better bet.
[/quote]

Extremely helpful, I will have to check that out on the next warm day. Between this, a few friends, and my own researching more into it the Evo X is looking to be the better option. Now to decide whether or not to get the GSR or the MR (slightly faster, stiffer suspension, but MPG is hurt tremendously).... hmmmmm