Patience.

navy876

What is Patience. How do you gain Patience. Can you lose Patience. Can you pursue it. I've often heard elderly people say "Patience is they key to life", "Good things come to those who wait."
But for me. Im not a very Patient person at all. I told my grandmother that People who are patient, are only because they've had no choice- but-to suffer. (suffer generally speaking).
How do you look at Patience?
Listen to this Song and look at the Lyrics.
LISTEN TO THE WHOLE THING, DONT LET DAMIANS VERSE NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ZfWzFQj8Q&feature=related

Rabbi Shammai was an engineer, known for the strictness of his views. The Talmud tells that a gentile came to Shammai saying that he would convert to Judaism if Shammai could teach him the whole Torah in the time that he could stand on one foot. Shammai drove him away with a builder's measuring stick! Hillel, on the other hand, converted the gentile by telling him, "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary. Go and study it."

Easy to grasp, but really tough to put into practice.

Give me patience and give it to me NOW!! :lol:

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1330291768' post='540556']
Rabbi Shammai was an engineer, known for the strictness of his views. The Talmud tells that a gentile came to Shammai saying that he would convert to Judaism if Shammai could teach him the whole Torah in the time that he could stand on one foot. Shammai drove him away with a builder's measuring stick! Hillel, on the other hand, converted the gentile by telling him, "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary. Go and study it."

Easy to grasp, but really tough to put into practice.

Give me patience and give it to me NOW!! :lol:
[/quote]I really love that answer. Is that a true event? But I dont understand what that has to do with patience.

The gentile was an impatient man. Hillel gave him the short answer that would get him started, but he'd still have to learn the patience it would take to put it into practice over the years of his life.

It's an old Jewish traditional story. May be true or not. Rabbis tell stories to teach a lesson. Edited by gramps

There is much for us to learn and many sources world-wide to learn from. You should try Ocean, a free library of the world's religious literature. Over 1000 books from 10 religions, free to download and read. It's available from [url="http://bahai-education.org/"]http://bahai-education.org/[/url]

[quote name='navy876' timestamp='1330319642' post='540605']
It wont contradict religion in anyway right? Or try to convert?
[/quote]

Is that not the basis of religion? You should hopefully be open minded to the fact there may be another religion that is better suited to your views, and if there is not at least it may strengthen your current outlook.

Indeed. I'm a Christian, but I want to know as much as I can about other religions and what they teach. I can learn from a Buddhist or a Muslim. Every religion has something different to offer and there's a lot of wisdom contained in their scripture. I'm not looking to convert to another religion, and I'm definitely not looking to convert them to mine. I just like looking at life and seeing it from different perspectives.

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1330334963' post='540618']
Indeed. I'm a Christian, but I want to know as much as I can about other religions and what they teach. I can learn from a Buddhist or a Muslim. Every religion has something different to offer and there's a lot of wisdom contained in their scripture. I'm not looking to convert to another religion, and I'm definitely not looking to convert them to mine. I just like looking at life and seeing it from different perspectives.
[/quote]I to am a Christian pentecostal. But as a Pentecostal, I need to try and get others to convert as-well. But I will definitely be looking into that link you've posted. I hope I can gain something.

[quote name='navy876' timestamp='1330357303' post='540635']
[/quote]I to am a Christian pentecostal. But as a Pentecostal, I need to try and get others to convert as-well. But I will definitely be looking into that link you've posted. I hope I can gain something.
[/quote]

I, among many people, find it unbelievably offensive when people try to convert others. I find it arrogant and presumptuous to presume to have the "only" pathway to God, as though God were so limited. And we have a lot of alternative leaning people here, so might I politely suggest you refrain from any conversion tactics in open threads. Make yourself available to anyone who wishes to talk to you in private message, but you will offend many, starting with myself if you go down that road in open threads. Discussion is always welcome, but the intent to convert? Not so much.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1330359435' post='540637']
[/quote]

I, among many people, find it unbelievably offensive when people try to convert others. I find it arrogant and presumptuous to presume to have the "only" pathway to God, as though God were so limited. And we have a lot of alternative leaning people here, so might I politely suggest you refrain from any conversion tactics in open threads. Make yourself available to anyone who wishes to talk to you in private message, but you will offend many, starting with myself if you go down that road in open threads. Discussion is always welcome, but the intent to convert? Not so much.

'Rani
[/quote]

Have I perchance told you about our lord savior the FSM?

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]I dont appericiate you telling me what to do, Im a grown man. I get on HF to talk about Hookah,music,Shishas,ect. Not once have I spoke about my Religion or trying to convert others. The only time I did bring my beliefs on here was when I agreed to what Gramps said. So if I haven't broken any rules or yet offended anybody. Dont try to warn me on my future actions, because I haven't even done them. I'd accept your words, if I have been breaking rules or offending others now, or in past threads.

OH and BTW. Please dont bother replying, because if you read I started this thread aiming towards conversation about "Patience" Nobody asked what offends people or you. If you'd like to talk about what offends you, I encourage you to go start a thread with that topic.
The closest thing to people talking about what you feel is in this thread right here, enjoy.
http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/31967-why-are-people-so-sensitive/page__st__20

[quote name='navy876' timestamp='1330374914' post='540685']
[/quote]I to am a Christian pentecostal. [color=#ff0000][b]But as a Pentecostal, I need to try and get others to convert as-well.[/b][/color] But I will definitely be looking into that link you've posted. I hope I can gain something.
[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]I dont appericiate you telling me what to do, Im a grown man. I get on HF to talk about Hookah,music,Shishas,ect. Not once have I spoke about my Religion or trying to convert others. The only time I did bring my beliefs on here was when I agreed to what Gramps said. So if I haven't broken any rules or yet offended anybody. Dont try to warn me on my future actions, because I haven't even done them. I'd accept your words, if I have been breaking rules or offending others now, or in past threads.
[/quote]

I suggest you read your own words, highlighted above before you jump down my throat. I made a polite suggestion. You did not show any patience however, did you? Interestingly enough.

'Rani

[quote name='navy876' timestamp='1330375351' post='540688']
Did I try to convert anybody?
Yeahh didnt think so. Good-fight.
Dont tell me what to do.
You can hop off now.
[/quote]

1) You've been here a month and you're yelling at me over a polite suggestion?
2) It was worded as a polite suggestion, I never once said you must or must not do this or that. I don't even tell my own son, older than you by the way, what to do.
3) Hop off? Hmmm, I would (again politely) suggest re-reading the rules about rudeness because I have not at any time been rude to you.
4) This may very likely attract the attention of the mods and/or administrators and that rarely ends well for everyone.
5) Patience is very much like being a duck. Letting it all flow over you, no matter how madly you have to paddle below the surface.

'Rani

Well think about it like this. Your preaching about being polite and what not. Yet I JUST SAID. That MY beliefs I must go out my way and try to convert others. With that said, why would you come and try to be telling me what not to do when it involves my BELIEFS. & on top of that you say it was just a suggestion. LOL thats not lame. Go and tell a Muslim you dont think he should avoid eating pork, because YOU SUGGEST it tastes good. Yet he Believes otherwise. See how that Muslim will react.
Now I say you dont have to feel offended because you dont have to be reading my posts.. yeah maybe you could add to my threads because you have every right to. But like I said, I haven't even tried to convert anybody.
As for MODS okay let'em come in? What im being rude? Okay I see people with sigs filled with perversion & violence. But thats not rude?
You cant be polite, when somebody states actions influenced by there Religion. & you try and go out your "Polite way" to say its wrong, or offensive. See how somebody to your face would react.
Im glad you never tell your son what to do... but I never asked.. again This thread was on Patience. >.>

For anybody enjoying the drama because I know how some of you are, lol.... we're having a lovely conversation in PM and apologies are accepted and offered all around, so in the immortal words of Stuie.......

...... Move along... Nothing more to see here......

Well, except back to the conversation about patience. I'd be just as interested to hear what other people think of it. Everyone who knew me used to say "Patience may be a virtue but it's not one of Rani's." Lately though, maybe it's age, or the meditation kicking in, I feel like the turmoil that is impatience just flows over me. Never takes hold. A whole lot better than I used to be when I was wound up all the time.

'Rani

Wow! A microcosm of what happens in the big world out there. Is it any wonder why so many wars have been fought over religion?

That's why I don't actively try to convert anybody. Too much hate, misunderstanding, and over-sensitivity to deal with. I prefer to let the way I live be my witness, to live such that others will want to know what I believe. Then maybe they'll want to come inside the event horizon and see what I have seen. Until then, let them live the way they see fit.

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1330386484' post='540728']
Wow! A microcosm of what happens in the big world out there. Is it any wonder why so many wars have been fought over religion?

That's why I don't actively try to convert anybody. Too much hate, misunderstanding, and over-sensitivity to deal with. I prefer to let the way I live be my witness, to live such that others will want to know what I believe. Then maybe they'll want to come inside the event horizon and see what I have seen. Until then, let them live the way they see fit.
[/quote]

Perhaps, but unlike the great outer world he and I are at least talking about it and trying to find common ground. And he has been very generous in spirit with his apology. It seems a rare trait in someone young these days. It should be cherished.

Who knows? Maybe we will humbly be a good example to somebody somewhere.

'Rani