Does Nakhla Mizo Need To Be Acclimatised?

I have just bought some Nak Mizo Apricot, Gum, White Grape and Watermelon and TBH it smokes like shit, except the grape, the flavours are foul and I mean almost unsmokeable. It's the first time I've used Mizo is there anything I should be doing?

As Mush said, it wouldn't hurt. I actually do like to acclimate a few Nakhla flavors. If you acclimate Chocomint, it tones down the mint and brings out the chocolate more. Double Apple, it tones down the anise. Mizo Peach, tones down the "florally" part. Those are just a few. I'm sure there's more that would benefit from acclimation.

Now how are you packing it? I know people say you can pack Nak any way you want and it'll smoke good, but I get full flavor only when I pack it pretty tight. I'm on my phone right now, so searching for it would be difficult, but Mattarios2 has a Nakhla tutorial for packing in a phunnel. Search Nakhla Tutorial and put the author as Mattarios2 in the advanced search. That packing method has given me the best results, but I also like Nak out of a small clay Egyptian bowl just as much, packed about the same density... Just gotta make sure you have good airflow.

Hope this helps man, and good luck!

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1330180762' post='540429']
As Mush said, it wouldn't hurt. I actually do like to acclimate a few Nakhla flavors. If you acclimate Chocomint, it tones down the mint and brings out the chocolate more. Double Apple, it tones down the anise. Mizo Peach, tones down the "florally" part. Those are just a few. I'm sure there's more that would benefit from acclimation.

[/quote]

how long do you acclimtate the Peach to remove m ost of the "floral" taste?

Whoops, I meant to put that... I just stir it all up good and let it sit out thirty minutes to an hour before I smoke. The longer the more it tones down whatever is you want toned down.

That said, I don't really bother too much with acclimating Nakhla.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1330188244' post='540441']
I've never needed to acclimate any Nakhla, but I thought Mizo was washed?
[/quote]
Keyword : WAS

Nak got lazy and stopped washing mizo a while ago. Still good though. However I cannot 100% confirm this. But there are nicotine notes in there for shure.

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1330207469' post='540465']
[/quote]

Nak got lazy and stopped washing mizo a while ago. Still good though. However I cannot 100% confirm this. But there are nicotine notes in there for shure.
[/quote]

It was El Basha that used to be washed.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1330208624' post='540470']
[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1330207469' post='540465']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It was El Basha that used to be washed.
[/quote]
Ah there you go thats it. I knew that nakhla stopped washing something. Just to clarify I can still get Basha but I assure you its not washed.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1330164483' post='540419']
Mizo doesn't need to be acclimated as far as I know. Can you describe your setup? Hookah, coals, bowl, hose?
[/quote]

I have some no name hookah that I picked up in Egypt a few years ago but it smokes like a champion. I have actually put off buying a new one because this thing is great, anyway I digress. I have double foil on a tightly packed vortex using 3 pieces of extruded natural coals, unfortunately Australia is the country time forgot so we can't get coconaras or any coconut coal down hear, anyway I digress gain. That setup is my standard I've used it for years with AF, El Hennaway, AL Mazag, Afzal and regular Nak. But I definately need to acclimatise chocomint as earlier mentioned otherwise the mint kills the chocolate.

I'll check out the tutorial by Mattarios2 as well. Anyway thanks for all the advice I'll try a bowl later today and report back.

[quote name='wogsncash' timestamp='1330210087' post='540475']
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1330164483' post='540419']
Mizo doesn't need to be acclimated as far as I know. Can you describe your setup? Hookah, coals, bowl, hose?
[/quote]

I have some no name hookah that I picked up in Egypt a few years ago but it smokes like a champion. I have actually put off buying a new one because this thing is great, anyway I digress. I have double foil on a tightly packed vortex using 3 pieces of extruded natural coals, unfortunately Australia is the country time forgot so we can't get coconaras or any coconut coal down hear, anyway I digress gain. That setup is my standard I've used it for years with AF, El Hennaway, AL Mazag, Afzal and regular Nak. But I definately need to acclimatise chocomint as earlier mentioned otherwise the mint kills the chocolate.

I'll check out the tutorial by Mattarios2 as well. Anyway thanks for all the advice I'll try a bowl later today and report back.
[/quote]
I thought Australia banned hookah sales because they considered them drug paraphernalia. Or at least personal importing of them.....or maybe it was new Zealand??

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1330180762' post='540429']
As Mush said, it wouldn't hurt. I actually do like to acclimate a few Nakhla flavors. If you acclimate Chocomint, it tones down the mint and brings out the chocolate more. Double Apple,[b] it tones down the anise[/b]. Mizo Peach, tones down the "florally" part. Those are just a few. I'm sure there's more that would benefit from acclimation.

Now how are you packing it? I know people say you can pack Nak any way you want and it'll smoke good, but I get full flavor only when I pack it pretty tight. I'm on my phone right now, so searching for it would be difficult, but Mattarios2 has a Nakhla tutorial for packing in a phunnel. Search Nakhla Tutorial and put the author as Mattarios2 in the advanced search. That packing method has given me the best results, but I also like Nak out of a small clay Egyptian bowl just as much, packed about the same density... Just gotta make sure you have good airflow.

Hope this helps man, and good luck!
[/quote]

[img]http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/26/128878220967390727.jpg[/img]

I find the following

BENEFITS FROM ACCLIMATION:

MIZO

Grape (I don't like this flavor in mizo form but it helps remove an odd flavor that some say tastes like ketchup)
Peach (weakens the floral notes)
Guava (gets rid of the bitterness you can get when overheated)
Watermelon (tones down the sweetness)
Apricot (Weakens floral notes)
Raspberry (makes it not so damn sweet and more natural tasting)

All of the above only need to sit out for about an hour. No nakhla flavor HAS to acclimate, it just makes it taste more accurate. Most of the time I find others who find certain nakhla flavors taste funny, need to acclimate for a bit.

The rest of the nakhla flavors are great right out of the box, maybe cherry and apple could use some acclimation too but I don't smoke those in Mizo, only OG so I wouldn't know.

I thought Australia banned hookah sales because they considered them drug paraphernalia. Or at least personal importing of them.....or maybe it was new Zealand??

You can buy them in some states and you can import them. The main issue is the cost of shisha we pay an insane $400/kg tax on tobacco, Australia is an idiotic nanny state on some issues.

But the acclimation worked a treat, many thanks to you all for your help.

[quote name='mattarios2' timestamp='1330403393' post='540771']
haha, I will try, just remember, all the wisdom I have is from this very forum!

I won't forget that!
[/quote]

I used your guide and I have never gotten my funnel bowl to work so well with either Nak or AF. I actually stopped using my funnel altogether because it was never good enough. So many thanks mattarios my life is now more smoky and flavourful.