Inverted Bowl Project

topgunpix

I was interested in the inverted "flip" shisha bowl that I saw on several hookah boards and from video reviews on you tube.

Just by looking at the picture, then by watching the many reviews online, I noted several design issues with what I thought was basically a neat idea.
1- The entire unit was made of metal, allowing heat from the coals to be transmitted to the inhaled smoke.
2- The unit seemed a little flimsy.
3- You could not use your favorite bowls.

Using copper tubing, I build a prototype unit to solve these issues, and improve on the original idea:
1- Fully symmetrical design
2- Insulated coal basket, heat is not drawn away metal sink.
3- Allow the use of any regular bowl

I did learn this (inverted) approach does seem to offer a few advantages over the standard coals-on-top configuration:
- The heat is very adjustable, almost instantly, by raising or lowering the coal basket.
- The coals require almost zero fiddling with, once they are burning.
- The smoke is consistent, for a longer time, with almost no manual adjustment.
- The draw is much easier.
- There was almost zero ash spillage onto the tray, in fact the whole operation was much cleaner.
- My bowl lasted much longer.

The shisha is packed into a standard glass bowl, which is then inverted and pushed onto the down-pointing tube. The coals are in a brass basket, attached to a wooden peg, which is hinged to one copper upright by a leather strap. The coal basket can swing out for adding new coals, with out changing the distance between the coals and tobacco. It also adjusts in height, to regulate heat.

Total parts costs under $20, but there was a lot of soldering, and I spent another $35 in tools.

The issue I did find, is that it's very top-heavy, so I think a complete Hookah design is called for.
I think the pictures are self-explanatory. Comments on prototype #1 are welcome.

Dripping? I noticed none. I think the heat and the hot foil boils off the water pretty quickly, making the liquid portion of shisha thick and sticky. I guess gravity naturally allowed any moisture from the colder portions of shisha to seep down to the heat....I good side-effect of the whole approach.

haha This is interesting. I was wondering, a lot of people say the coals wont get oxygen passing though so they wont heat up when you inhale. Im not saying you need to do this, this is just an idea i just had. Why not put the coals on(instead of that metal bowl you have there) a metal screen with another removable bowl underneath so when they ash you can pull the bowl from under and empty it.It will also allow air to pass under and through better. Just an idea

[quote name='dizzbizz' timestamp='1329961947' post='540028']
haha This is interesting. I was wondering, a lot of people say the coals wont get oxygen passing though so they wont heat up when you inhale. Im not saying you need to do this, this is just an idea i just had.
[/quote]

I know it's hard to see in the photo above, but my coal basket is perforated....just like you suggested. The coals, once lit, seem to burn well. Thanks!

So, I found an excellent heavy glass jar at "Tuesday Morning" and rigged up the cork, pipes and a cheap hose. I used 1/4 copper pipe, with a 1/2 to 1/4 adapter for both the hose attachment and the downdraft pipe into the water. You can't see it here, but I drilled holes in the very bottom of the pipe to act as a build-in bubble diffuser.

The base is so heavy, that tipping is not a danger. Since the coals burn without any intervention, no ash plate is needed (but would help to catch the little ash that does fall from vibrations or moving.)

Also, I found that I need to add a second ring down the pipe, to fit inside the neck of this bottle; to make certain the shisha bowl stays vertical. As it is, the rubber stopper is too short to ensure stability.
It also leaks a tiny bit of smoke, I guess the jar is not perfectly round.

I can see, for the next generation of this design, using 1/4 pipe and forming it into a spiral on each of the uprights, to provide additional cooling.....and then redesigning the shisha bowl to use a double-walled metal bowl that would be both lighter and retain heat.

It would be extremely easy to add a multi-hose adapter, maybe even a ring, to allow 3-4-5 or more hoses, if desired. Once you start working in copper the possibilities are wide open.

I have to say, that inverted approach is very hands-off, compared to normal, and requires little attention while smoking. the coal basket, in fact, could be designed to serve as an integral wind screen, very easily.

your idea is cool but looks scary as shit i think the flip bowl thats out now has just taken over the market with that idea they got it down, but good luck cant wait to see ur improvements

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='dizzbizz' timestamp='1329961947' post='540028']
a lot of people say the coals wont get oxygen passing though so they wont heat up when you inhale[/quote]
The premise of the upside-down design is to keep your bowl hot when you're not pulling through it. You still have to pull hot air into the bowl to steam the shisha. This hot air comes from a very close proximity around the coals, so you still have to get the bowl to touch or almost touch the coals. A perk of this design is if it gets harsh, you just lower the coals and let more cold air get to it. You can't raise & lower the coals on a normal design.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1330498872' post='540924']
your idea is cool but looks scary as shit i think the flip bowl thats out now has just taken over the market with that idea they got it down, but good luck cant wait to see ur improvements
[/quote]
That's what he said the inspiration was from.