The Family

gramps

Dont you need near perfect heat management for that? After a certain bowl has been going for some hours. & you add new coals to the second rotation, its good to quickly purge right before taking a pull. Not a full long purge but a purge that lasts no more then a second.

It doesn't have to be perfect. You can always take the coals off and let the bowl cool down a bit, or use a windcover to increase the heat. I tend to split my coconaras in half and use 2 or 3 halves.

I use a Vortex bowl with 3 coconaras and top it with a Wind Cover. I put my Cover on right when I begin smoking just to start it off quickly. & after about 30 minutes or so, I put it back on again.
When do you put yours on?

I put the coals on and it really doesn't take very long for the smoke to start, just a few minutes. I put the windcover on when the coals are dying down, about half of the size they started. Sometimes I'll start one more coal before I actually need it and just push the smaller ones together. I just let the smoke tell me what to do; I don't think any two sessions are exactly the same.

I have had overheating occur and when that happens I just take all the coals off and let the bowl cool off. Rare, but it can happen.

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1331437671' post='542153']
I put the coals on and it really doesn't take very long for the smoke to start, just a few minutes. I put the windcover on when the coals are dying down, about half of the size they started. Sometimes I'll start one more coal before I actually need it and just push the smaller ones together. I just let the smoke tell me what to do; I don't think any two sessions are exactly the same.

I have had overheating occur and when that happens I just take all the coals off and let the bowl cool off. Rare, but it can happen.
[/quote]May I ask what bowl and Tobacco you regularly smoke?

I use the unglazed clay bowl that came with the Elmas, and, using an adapter, a small phunnel bowl. I smoke Nakhla most of the time, though I have a couple of Social Smoke flavors I enjoy. Nakhla is fairly heat-tolerant and makes heat management a tad easier.

Here are my bowls. There's one more not in the shot, another Elmas clay bowl that was being used at the time.
The Elmas bowl is upside down because it's unstable right side up. :D

[img]http://gmwaid.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-25FDscw/0/L/DSC08606-L.jpg[/img]

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1331455716' post='542175']
Here are my bowls. There's one more not in the shot, another Elmas clay bowl that was being used at the time.
The Elmas bowl is upside down because it's unstable right side up. :D

[img]http://gmwaid.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/i-25FDscw/0/L/DSC08606-L.jpg[/img]
[/quote]Nice collection you have going on there buddy. I've been wanting to get a Tangiers Phunnel Bowl. But I just dont feel like paying the 20$ for it.

Unless one breaks, that's all there's going to be in the collection.

Hookahjohn has the small Tangiers phunnel for 16.99, so if you order some other stuff with it to justify the shipping cost, it's not so bad.

I hear ya. But from my understanding the Tangiers Phunnel Bowl smokes best with Tangiers Tobacco. Me personally, I dont want to use Tangiers because of the "Babysitting" it requires.

[quote name='navy876' timestamp='1331486358' post='542211']
I hear ya. But from my understanding the Tangiers Phunnel Bowl smokes best with Tangiers Tobacco. Me personally, I dont want to use Tangiers because of the "Babysitting" it requires.
[/quote]

The attention required by tangiers is one of the most exaggerated points brought up on the forum.

I've smoked Tangiers out of several bowls and the phunnel bowl works best. Of course the phunnel bowl is great for most anything because of its design. I tend towards smaller bowls that hold less because I always smoke by myself. And I don't always fill a bowl up.

The shallow 2-tone bowl you see over on the far left is an Alien Mini. It's also good for Tangiers and even packed tight it holds a small amount of tobacco.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1331495733' post='542218']
[quote name='navy876' timestamp='1331486358' post='542211']
[/quote]

The attention required by tangiers is one of the most exaggerated points brought up on the forum.
[/quote]Joytron please explain. Because on Chris's Sucsess with Tangiers Guide, he states some *Extra attention needed for Tangiers.

Depending on where you live Tangiers may require some acclimatization to reach its full potential. There has been talk here about a new way that takes less time, but I haven't had a chance to test it.

Humidity varies from place to place and even from season to season. My only experience with Tangiers so fas was that I could smoke it right out of the package.