It Cost What To Fill My Truck?

TheScotsman

there was a story on pbs about cars of the past getting 50+miles per gallon, i think in the 50's 60's, or 70's a mechanic built something that you add to a carburetor engine.they drained the tank out measured in exactly 1 gallon of gas and took it for a drive, i think they went like 105 miles before it ran out of gas. The story was though that Major oil paid the man 5 million to never make one again, they got all right and patents to it. And he was just turned into a memory
found some links.

his name was tom ogle
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Tom_Ogle%27s_Vapor_Fuel_System

Crazy though. one website says GM had a very simliar machine on patent in 1972 but never built one. Edited by king_lunchb0x

The thing that worries me about hydrogen used as a fuel is that the exhaust is basically water vapor, a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2.

If we can live with that, then we may be able to run off methane. It's cheaper right now than it's been in decades, and we have plenty of it.

Electric would be the best, but you still have to make the electricity from coal, hydro, nuclear, or something.

As has been mentioned, if you think it's bad here, take a peek across the pond or further. I was just in Poland where it was 5.50-6 zloty (~$3) [b]per liter[/b]! I just got back to California over the weekend and came home to $4/gallon prices, about a 40 cent jump up from when I left. Maybe it's just being back in nicer weather, but I still felt relief considering what other people in far less fortunate countries are paying. Still, damn you Iran!

Actually, the value of gold stays relatively unchanged.
When I was a teenager gold was $35 an ounce.
Look at it this way:
Then an ounce of gold could buy 35 dollar bills.
Today that same ounce of gold will buy nearly 1800 dollar bills.
It's the dollar [u]losing[/u] value, not the gold increasing in value.

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1329948488' post='540009'] Actually, the value of gold stays relatively unchanged. When I was a teenager gold was $35 an ounce. Look at it this way: Then an ounce of gold could buy 35 dollar bills. Today that same ounce of gold will buy nearly 1800 dollar bills. It's the dollar [u]losing[/u] value, not the gold increasing in value. [/quote]

Of course, and that's what I was trying to get people to go see. however iirc the value of gold is on the raise after you adjust for inflation, the high demands for tech gadgets has had a significant impact on that for sure.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1329548696' post='539409']
Really? Because I don't remember gas ever being that cheap. Then again I live in California, so I don't complain.
[/quote]LOL

$1.90? I remember when gas was HIGH at $.98.

I filled up my 1970 LTD in 1972 one time for .249/gallon. There used to be "gas wars" where stations would compete with each other. Ah, those were the days! Oh, and they gave away gifts with an 8 gallon purchase. Imagine somebody pumping your gas for you, checking the tire pressure, and washing the windshield . . .

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1330047624' post='540284']
It's really difficult to carry a sheet of plywood in a Miata.
Not to mention that if I put all my tools in a Miata, it wouldn't be able to move. :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah.. you've got me there

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1329599005' post='539486']
[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1329586388' post='539454']
[quote name='cotsi95' timestamp='1329549309' post='539411']
I know gas in 1950 was $.20 a gallon. It's only been 60 years...where is all this money going!!!!
[/quote]

[b]cheese was 45 cents/lb now about 400. give it the benefit of the doubt, 10x increase
eggs were 80 cents/doz and they are, well, about a 1.60 here, just double in 58 years
average new car was 1510.00 now 28,400. (let's go 30K for simplicity) About 19X increase
average house, 8450 then, and here, in this county, is 89.6k now, a 10.6x increase.[/b]
Hamburger, 30 cents/lb then, 3.00 now, another 10x increase.
frozen turkey. 49 cents/lb then, 1.80 now 3.6 x increase.

Using your logic, and the national 1950 average of .18 cents, and the average of the increases above one would expect to see gas at around 1.40.
[/quote]

1. I don't know what kind of fucking cheese you are buying. But using the most expensive cheese for an example, is simply stupid.
2. Price has doubled in 58 years? And that is bad or something?
3. Average car is not 28k, average family car is around 12-15k.

Look what money was worth back in the 50's. Now look at how much $10 in the 50's is worth now. It's not like everything has stayed the same and the prices have just shot up.
[/quote]

1)399/lb for 6# munster blocks at costco about a week ago. 429 for "farmer" cheese from local co-op You were not reading logically, since 1950 price was in CENTS (as in pennies.. the little copper waffers) I kept the current value in those same pennies. That should have been all but obvious by the aplication of common sense, and the lack of a decmil point.

there is no 15K car that I would ever consider owning. There is a difference between a car and a cheapo-hooptie-bucket. I got my figures from USA today, Edmunds, and Motortrend, and averaged the 3. Low was USA today at 27,530 (not pennies, dollars) and high was 29,050 at Edmunds. Show me one 15K new car that you don't have to wear a bag over your head so no one recognizes you driving it. Only decent one I can come up with is the focus, strangely good little car.

Lowest priced MSRP in USA in nissan versa (if I remember right) at 11,700 + finance, and tax. Not exactly a "family" car unless you are a family of pocket gophers. Ford Fiesta, and Kia Rio are about the lowest end of the 4-dr spectrum that I can think of, and they MSRP around 1300000 (pennies). Any of the above, add finance (most cases) taxes, and license, and they are all in the 15K range, but that is the LOW end of the spectrum, and in no way indicitive of the average new car price in the USA. However, your 15K would make the present cost statistically even worse.

My point was to put a comparative value on goods between then and now, not fiat currency that is worth zero actual hard value beyond that assigned to it under the authority of a bankrupt nation's ability to guarantee it's value. Not that prices didn't go up, or that prices changing wasn't expected, but to provide a benchmark average increase of a basket of common goods typically purchased. I omitted technology, because it's inclusion would unfairly skew the results making the present fuel prices seem even worse, I omitted bullion for the same reason, but it's opposite effect on the figures.

My original point was not intended to be of any political value, just bitching like a little girl about the $$$ necissary to move my fat arse around the roadways... but if it's gotta turn to another bout of bush-derangement syndrome, I must point out that if scarsity of oil, as a resource is the cause, then the fault lies rather heavily, with any agency/administration that has restricted, limited, failed to issue, or otherwise stood in the way of the means of obtaining and transporting that resource. Oh, wait... I seem to recall the energy secratary saying we needed a price structure equal to Europe... and a pres that said under his admin energy prices would skyrocket. Now he doesn't want to own the effects of his decisions. Oh, please, he wanted high fuel prices, now that they are here, and the public is pissed, he want's to go run away, and try to blame everyone else.

I wish America had [u][b]better methods[/b][/u] and more reliable methods of public transportation - i.e California. (I am not counting New york or Chicagos transportation) so we don't have to heavily rely on personal vechiles to get about with daily commutes and errands. Especially true since Gasoline in my area is about 4.35$ to 4.39$ dollars per gallon of regular - unleaded fuel and this rise in price is a definate ding to ones wallet ; even if reliant on parents, goverment funds for being poor-er, or just being a struggling student.

The only new cars that get 35+mpg and are 20k$ or under are the tiniest little shits. like thescotsman says they are not family size cars. I mean right now i would mind owning a little car like the nissan versa (which older models looked like Homers shoe from the simpsons) but I dont have to tow or haul anything and I have no family yet. Honestly i would take any car...if its reliable and gets 30+mpg. It really really sucks to not have a car and a town w/o great public transportation. Even then, it being the cheapest new one out there...its still our of my budget. You can just forget about a new truck.
/rant

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1329776426' post='539726']
The thing that worries me about hydrogen used as a fuel is that the exhaust is basically water vapor, a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2.

If we can live with that, then we may be able to run off methane. It's cheaper right now than it's been in decades, and we have plenty of it.

Electric would be the best, but you still have to make the electricity from coal, hydro, nuclear, or something.
[/quote]

See the thing is, it's made of water that has been split. You run a current through water, with some sort of electrolyte in it to speed up the process. The H2O makes H2 and O2. You burn it, it makes H2O. So, you have water vapor, which then forms droplets, and the precipitates. You know, rain. If water vapor is a greenhouse gas, then you better figure a way to cover the oceans. Because millions and millions of gallons are in state-changing flux every second of every day.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1331003135' post='541502']
The only new cars that get 35+mpg and are 20k$ or under are the tiniest little shits. like thescotsman says they are not family size cars. I mean right now i would mind owning a little car like the nissan versa (which older models looked like Homers shoe from the simpsons) but I dont have to tow or haul anything and I have no family yet. Honestly i would take any car...if its reliable and gets 30+mpg. It really really sucks to not have a car and a town w/o great public transportation. Even then, it being the cheapest new one out there...its still our of my budget. You can just forget about a new truck.
/rant
[/quote]

You don't need to have a large car like a truck or an SUV to tote a family around at all unless your planning on having scores of children. Also most car companies that made cars that did get good gasoline either got bought out by competitors like Ford or GMC so they could control the market - "CANT HAVE THEM PEOPLE BUYING GEO METROS >:U THEY AINT OUR CARS" or went under. And now cars that DO get decent milage or pretty good milage like the Toyota Prius (space egg) are relatively expensive because it is trendy to be eco friendly.

• 5 weeks later...
Ugh the gas topic. I'm glad i own a motorcycle, costs me anywhere from 10-12 dollars to fill up from completely bone dry empty to very top full, and that's using premium. :D

Scotsman - you mentioned a multifuel. Deuce? I have an M109A3 with a MF diesel. I haven't set up my fuel processing kit yet, but soon. Any tips on gathering/processing WMO et cetera?

Thanks!

Z

UMO is easy to get, usually shops are more than happy to get rid of it. I have a cheapo deck wash pump (graco brand) to draw it out of their storage tanks. I put a dual remote filter adapter (from summit) and a pair of regular PH5 type filters on the discharge from my pump. Straight UMO is a little nasty. The primary filter will get fouled surprisingly fast unless you run it through some additional filtration. To filter it I use a hanging filter sock. The long sock stretches like nuts, it needs a screen support sack (I made mine out of stainless steel window screen from home cheapo. (not the fiberglass stuff) I filter progressively from 100, 20 then 1 micron. Be sure to get the long bags for 1 micron, it takes forever to get through then, and the short bags need too much attention. I keep a spare set of 100, 20, 1 bags, and the bucket filter (200micron) in the underway support box. a spare set of fuel filters is a good idea. (I get my filter bags from Utah Biodiesel Supply) Big old mess, but free fuel is worth the BS.

I have one truck with the arctic (fuel burning) cab heater, I put a fresh ldt-465-1d in it, and it's never been run on anything but 100% wmo. In the winter I do 5-1 mix of gasoline to thin it out, or it won't work in the cab heater. The m35 chassis has a fuel pressure sensor between the lift pump in the tank, and the injector pump. If the pressure in that line is low, it won't turn the starter... pure wmo is too thick when it's neg-20f to pump enough to close the line pressure switch.

I have used up to a 20% mix of well-filtered WVO with no tank-heating and not had a problem (but it smells like french fries, and makes me hungry) I usually add a pint of naptha every few tanks just to dry the system. UMO is typically full of moisture. Naptha helps eliminate some of the problems with the water. (If yo look at the MSDS for seafoam fuel treatment, it's mostly naptha with some light oil, and isopropyl)

You know how to do a check for a hydraulic lock on startup, right? Not that it's any more likely on WMO, just a precaution.

I can remember $.14 a Gal, But I have always been a gearhead. My dad used to own a 64 Chevy II. Back then you pulled up to the pump, after running over an air hose that sounded a bell. Dad would say fill'er up. The attendant would start the pump, open the hood from the outside, check the oil. close the hood. wash your windows, check your wiper blades. Check the tire preasure. And give you change back from a $5.00. In the 70s a friend of mine own a 69 Roadrunner with a 440 6 pack. He was complaining when Premium hit $.45 a Gal, lol.
Those were the days.
edm