California Prop. 8 Ruled Unconstitutional

Rani

Agreed, that prop 8 was a misscarriage of about everything from common sense to simple liberty. It was, IMNHO proof that we don't want big $ in any aspect of political elections. I really don't think the majority of the people want to ban gay marriage, just that the $$ were put more behind that issue than the supporters could muster.

I guess my scarcasim didn't come through right - Thankfully we don't have a true democracy... can you just immagine the fiasco we would have if every 2 years special intrests were tossing the legal spaghetti against the wall and seeing if it stuck? We would be in a never ending whirlpool of eternal bullshite - even worse than we have now.

In the end, I am really thinking the USSC won't take the case at this point. I would bet that the decision would come down to a tie with Kennedy deciding the case. Historically he seems to land pretty firmly on the conservative side of social matters. I don't think the court would get the 4 votes to hear it. I could be way off, wouldn't be the first time.

My opinion on any social issues is solely that the gov't does not have a right to interfear, regulate, criminalize, mollest, harass, tax, condone/not condone, fund/not fund, encourage/discourage, degrade, demoralize, or generaly feck with what people decide to do with their own lives, as long as their actions don't cause undue hardship to anyone other than themselves.

Rani, if we eliminate political propaganda that doesn't involve bullshit, or twisting partial truths, there wouldn't be any political adverts at all! Hmmm - not a bad idea - People are supposed to be smart enough to filter the lies from the truth. (good luck on that one).
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
Stoked to see this happen. I'm a straight man and I play flag football in an lgbtqa league so I'm happy a lot of my team and league mates will be able to make things official.

In other news I took my shirt off at a gay nightclub and danced for 2 hours last week. Now I see why a lot of gay men are in great shape. What a work out!
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1328805996' post='538396']
[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1328797812' post='538372']
[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1328742338' post='538287'] We have no Constitution left. :( Politicians of [i]every[/i] stripe have slowy, but surely, destroyed it. [/quote]
Spoken as only someone who has watched it happen can. Nothing personal but most of you have NO idea what the longer term effect has been of government on our civil rights and the constitution. I'm not as old as gramps but i have seen it slowing creeping in myself and its scary. I think this thread should perhaps stick to yay or nay for her topic or people should move on without comment.
[/quote]

Mmmm, I don't know about the yay or nay part Mush. I actually like conversations that move and evolve. It brings a different dynamic if everyone is willing to exchange thoughts, and often you start thinking of an issue in a different way because of that dynamic. I for one am interested in how everything from government, to religion, to personal hang-ups impact the issue. So if I have any say-so at all, I'm not offended if we twist the thread here and there, so long as none of us, including me, completely[size=5] jack it off into left field.[/size]

'Rani
[/quote]

Funny you should say that ;)

My BF and I have :wub:

But I was very happy with that decision myself. Curious to see how long it takes for Florida to make a big push. One thing is for sure, it [i]ain't[/i] happening as long as Rick Scott is in for office (thank god there is no way in hell he will be reelected a second term). Maybe when things settle down in my life, I'll organize the push myself.

Here in Jacksonville, City Council is about to decide on our Anti-Discrimination laws. Going to a meeting for it tomorrow at 2.

On another note... Did you notice pastor Terry Jones hanging an effigy of President Obama on his property? This is a sad read.

[url="http://digitaljournal.com/article/326330"]http://digitaljournal.com/article/326330[/url]

[quote name='seefoodlover' timestamp='1340090331' post='549553']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1328805996' post='538396']
[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1328797812' post='538372']
[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1328742338' post='538287'] We have no Constitution left. :( Politicians of [i]every[/i] stripe have slowy, but surely, destroyed it. [/quote]
Spoken as only someone who has watched it happen can. Nothing personal but most of you have NO idea what the longer term effect has been of government on our civil rights and the constitution. I'm not as old as gramps but i have seen it slowing creeping in myself and its scary. I think this thread should perhaps stick to yay or nay for her topic or people should move on without comment.
[/quote]

Mmmm, I don't know about the yay or nay part Mush. I actually like conversations that move and evolve. It brings a different dynamic if everyone is willing to exchange thoughts, and often you start thinking of an issue in a different way because of that dynamic. I for one am interested in how everything from government, to religion, to personal hang-ups impact the issue. So if I have any say-so at all, I'm not offended if we twist the thread here and there, so long as none of us, including me, completely[size=5] jack it off into left field.[/size]

'Rani
[/quote]

Funny you should say that ;)

My BF and I have :wub:

But I was very happy with that decision myself. Curious to see how long it takes for Florida to make a big push. One thing is for sure, it [i]ain't[/i] happening as long as Rick Scott is in for office (thank god there is no way in hell he will be reelected a second term). Maybe when things settle down in my life, I'll organize the push myself.

Here in Jacksonville, City Council is about to decide on our Anti-Discrimination laws. Going to a meeting for it tomorrow at 2.

On another note... Did you notice pastor Terry Jones hanging an effigy of President Obama on his property? This is a sad read.

[url="http://digitaljournal.com/article/326330"]http://digitaljourna.../article/326330[/url]
[/quote]

Man, I have GOT to start a campaign to get women to stop sleeping with Republicans!

Here's the funny thing about the extreme right wing as opposed to the (even extreme) left. (I'm talking generalities at this point in history Scotsman, so just hush!) The left generally believes you have the right to your beliefs. So long as you don't intrude on their freedom to be a little radical, no problem. The right on the other hand, seems to insist that compassion getting in the way of Wall Street and it's goals is an affront to Christ, who by the way is probably firmly on the left with all that "love thy fellow man" stuff. As a result, the left generally isn't terribly loud. Most quietly go about their business giving to charity, and doing whatever they do. The right on the other hand seems to have a friggin' soapbox attached to their ass and they just WILL NOT put them down.

It was the far right who boasted when a black man won the election they would do everything in their power to make him a one term president and get that n*gger out of office. Unbelievable. Whether Obama has been ineffective or not doesn't change the fact that they were out to get him before he even took the oath. The same far right has brought God into the argument about gay rights, never once considering that God might actually be smart enough to have a place for homosexuality in His/Her grand design. Automatic birth control response to overpopulation maybe?

I have zero desire to presume to know the mind of God. When I treat someone kindly, it's not even about them. It's about the state I choose to place MY conscience and soul in. And all those "liberals" throughout history, like Jesus Christ, and Buddha, and Gandhi, and Mother Teresa, and Martin Luther King, Jr. are who spiritually I would choose to be aligned with. Maybe they really aren't as loud as the extreme right, but who knows? Judging from how that historical impact thing work, the "meekly liberally" just might be inheiriting the earth. We certainly won't be blowing it up. Unlike the right.

'Rani

Listen, Bill Maher did the best, and put it simply like this. "It's not the the food that's bad, they just don't like the server" (obama = server). Since Obama has been in office, he has kind of been rather [i]republicanish.[/i] The NRA freaked and spread fearmail and propaganda saying Obama WILL take away our guns. When in fact, as it turns out, more Pro-Gun laws have been passed under the Obama administration more than any other. As a result, the firearms industry has boomed in this country. When Obama first took office, stores couldn't keep ammo on the shelves. As for Universal Healthcare, he would pretty much address and meet almost all concessions that Republicans wanted to see in the bill, and he did so. In the 90's Bush came up with a health mandate, that Republicans supported, because it was a good idea... until Obama decided to take off with the idea, too. I'm a little drunk writing this, so I'm doing my best to keep my thoughts together.

There are countless other things that Obama has done that is not really Liberal like of him. In fact, I know many Democratic friends, and even my Aunt on Capitol hill says a lot of her Liberal Colleagues are upset with him because he isn't doing enough, being more of a Republican than a Democrat, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Those seem to be dirty words in this country now. Rebublican and Democrat.

More on this later when I am sober. :drinks: