What Side Of The Foil Do You Use?

What side of the foil do you use?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What side of the Foil do you use?

• Shinny side up?
    • Shinny side down?
    • Doesn't matter?

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1328210419' post='537589']
How does a shiny surface matter? The heat the coal emits isnt transfered via light but through the contact between coal and foil. The only way that argument made sense would be if you were heating the bowl with lazors or something, otherwise the difference is at most like a couple %, maybe not even that. I think its just personal preference and what youre used to doing... it shouldnt make any actual difference tho
[/quote]

exactly

It still amazes me that some people thinks it's 2 micro thick peice foil and not their packing job that makes a difference.

Person A: This bowl isn't smoking well.

Person B: Oops it was shiny side up.

Person A: Maybe you should pay attention when you pack your tobacco?

Person B Thinks: That means it my fault and not the foil's....preposterous!
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1328210419' post='537589']
How does a shiny surface matter? The heat the coal emits isnt transfered via light but through the contact between coal and foil. The only way that argument made sense would be if you were heating the bowl with lazors or something, otherwise the difference is at most like a couple %, maybe not even that. I think its just personal preference and what youre used to doing... it shouldnt make any actual difference tho
[/quote]

Rep for lazers. Pew pew pew.

I use lasers. More efficient, go green.
But when I'm not I use whatever side of the foil I end up putting on the bowl.

I'll do a test one tomorrow when I get some smoke. Same packing. Same shisha. Same holes. Same everything, except for foil and I'll see if I see any significant difference

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1328218060' post='537608']
[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1328139741' post='537485']
I use the outside.
[/quote]I've always used the inside. Maybe I should switch.
[/quote]
I tried using the inside once before but when I delaminated the foil to access the inside, the inside became the outside.

Can you post a video of how to get to the inside while keeping it inside?

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]"The fact that one side of aluminum foil is shiny is an artifact of the production process.

Aluminum foil is produced by passing ingots (bars) of aluminum through metal rollers. Successive passes through the rollers with the rollers being brought closer to each other makes thinner and thinner sheets.

However, to make the aluminum foil used in the kitchen, the foil gets so thin, the rollers so close to each other, that passing it through the rollers can cause tearing (the foil can sometimes stick to the rollers or it may crimp up or buckle and so on). To avoid this, two layers of foil are passed through the rollers. The double thickness prevents all the issues that cause tearing to happen while still getting to press the foil into a desired thickness for each sheet.

Since the rollers are very smooth and hard, the side of the foil that is facing the rollers gets smooth and shiny. The side that is facing another foil (the middle area) gets a matte finish.

[b]There is actually little difference to the matte and shiny finish. Without instruments, the difference heat reflection or heat containment of the shiny side would not be observed.[/b] "[/color][/font]

I guess that their is a difference between the sides, but so small that person can't tell...unless you use instruments when u smoke

exactly, you would need some precise measuring equipment to notice the difference and even then it would be too little to matter, unless if youre waaaay too serious about your heat management :D

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1328222791' post='537634']
I use the outside.
[/quote]
I tried using the inside once before but when I delaminated the foil to access the inside, the inside became the outside.

[/quote]
Nah, that's secret squirrel knowledge. But, here's a tip...get yourself some butter, 30lb test line, a stopwatch and a orangutan who can sign at least 26 words.

Good luck!

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1328222791' post='537634']
I use the outside.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbcAK9kGqes[/media]

Thanks, Katie but unfortunately, as part of my "agreement" I'm not allowed to:

"possess, use or otherwise be in contact with lasers, laser beams, or laser producing devices."

I've just about got Jay's method figured out, though. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1328452787' post='537905']
I use it shiny side down, only because I don't want the mothership to confuse my hookah session for "It's time to invade" signal.
[/quote]

This explains so much... missing time... and the need to sit on an inflated donut....

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1328794952' post='538369']
Stuie's phone number is written on intergalactic bathroom walls.
[/quote]

Piss off the wrong alien and you become a galactic whore!
  • Upvote 1

I know I know this has been a huge talk about so to say on the side of the foil. But if you just try each side for your-self, I doubt you'd need to ask anybody this continuous on going question ever again!
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='navy876' timestamp='1328987218' post='538709']
I know I know this has been a huge talk about so to say on the side of the foil.[u][b] But if you just try each side for your-self, I doubt you'd need to ask anybody this continuous on going question ever again![/b][/u]
[/quote]

Words of wisdom.