Steampunk Design...

bradleyabbot82

[color=#333333]The Gauge on Top is a basic Vacuum Gauge that will give a rough measurement of the amount of vacuum produced when inhaling from the pipe... The rest of the pipe is aluminum, brass, and copper... I've built and own a few similar pipes, but nothing with this "steampunk" design, the coal position is "upside down" from normal... The tobacco is ABOVE the coal here... I think that the natural "heat rises" element here will allow the coal to keep the tobacco at an even temperature during the session, and will make it easier to heat it to combustion during inhalation without burning it unnecessarily, while the open-air aspect will prevent over-heating... The upper "materials" section is held in place by two thumb-screws for easy removal to replace tobacco and charcoal and to adjust it for desired temperature. The "down tubes" are actually solid bar that will add substantial weight and give the unit strength... the smoke travels through the stainless steel hoses attached from the "vortex" chamber... Yet another unique design element, this chamber is a diaphragm "sandwich" of machined aluminum which will produce some "swirl" of the air as it passes from the 4 copper tubes through the chamber into the 2 larger stainless hoses. This will further cool the air (which all hookah smokers know is the key to a smooth hit)... The vortex-"sandwich"-unit could even be placed into the freezer before smoking to super-cool the air passing through it. the hose port is located on the top of the rolled aluminum cylinder which houses the liquid filter/cooler. Opposite the hose port is a ball-bearing carb to vent the base.[/color]

[color=#333333]I'd like to sell this unit to hookah bars and shops, as a unique, upper-end pipe - and I'm looking for input on design (as you can see, thus far it is just the basics of the pipe - I'll be adding custom touches to each one such as gears, valves, etc... to give each one a more individual aesthetic)...[/color]

[color=#333333]Anyone have suggestions or thoughts?[/color]

[color=#333333]Bradley[/color][attachment=5718:frame-3run_0000-reduced.jpg]

See now thats how the flip should have looked. your downstem pipes need to be higher. Also make it one downstem not 2 doing 2 makes the pull a but harder. Edited by S3cretz

If you're referring to the two large brass rods, those are SOLID, not downstems. The downstem is actually the stainless high pressure braided lines that come from the bottom of the vortex chamber to the BOTTOM of the water (the inside mount on the water vase has 2 90degree bends which lift the submerged downstem piping out of, then back into the water on each side inside the water vase... This results in more efficient cooling of the downstem apperature).

I'm building it out as we speak, the images are my design that I put together over the weekend (I'm a product designer)...

Anyone else have any thoughts?

The graduation of the pipes is 4x 1/4, to 2x 1/2 (for a total of 1" total ID for moving the air through the bowl), but the hose connector (and the hose you choose to use for smoking) can be graduated to provide just the right amount of backpressure...

Bradley

4 X 1/4 to 2X X 1/2 is not a consistent flow area and does not equal 1" id pipe.

Not sure if that matters to you or the performance of the pipe, but better to hear it here than from a potential customer.

That is a great looking design. Edited by Skoozle

I feel that the braided downstems would be too low in the base, IDK though, it may work well.
And another constuctive citicism is that the "vortex chamber" may impede flow, causing a lot of unwanted and unnecesary backpressure.

Don't get me wrong, i think the thing looks awesome! And having a working pressure gauge on it is pretty sweet. I'm just a few things I think may end up causing harm to the workability of the final product. :)

Holy shit.

Uhh, design award of the year goes to Mr. Abbot? :D

That seriously has fucked my mind, dude. You are a genius, and I would love to own one of these badboys if you ever perfect it and decide to sell them.

i would totally own one also if it comes out if u make it, i was looking at it yesterday when u posted the images and i loved it, it looks clean and sleak and just well together

• 6 months later...
Love the Hookah design man. I am working on a small personal Hookah project myself and I was wondering if you could provide me with the max/average vacuum that your hookah reads on a drag. I can't seem to find this info anywhere and I dont want to bother with getting a vaccum gauge.

A ballpark figure would be awesome, thanks!