Smoking at home without parents noticing?

I am 18 and still live at home with my parents. I love hookahs and sometime this week I am definitely going to buy my own.What I was going to do was buy one of those mini pumpkin hookas so I could hide and transport it easily without anybody noticing. My only concern would be the lingering scent of the smoke. I am sure my parents are familiar with hookas, and they will notice the smell right away. My question is, if I were to smoke in the afternoons around 5:00 in a secluded room with all the windows open and the ceiling fan turned on, would the scent be completely gone by around 8 or 9 if I left the windows open?

Yeah, it should be. I dont notice any left over smell after usually an hour or so.Also, consider the Mya QT for your hookah. Good price, great hookah.

If they are familiar with hookahs, they are going to notice. You might start burning incense for a while before buying your hookah, get them used to THAT smell, might not notice the hookah then.Could smoke outside...then there are no worries...

[quote name='hoookah']I am 18 and still live at home with my parents. I love hookahs and sometime this week I am definitely going to buy my own.  What I was going to do was buy one of those mini pumpkin hookas so I could hide and transport it easily without anybody noticing.  My only concern would be the lingering scent of the smoke. I am sure my parents are familiar with hookas, and they will notice the smell right away.  My question is, if I were to smoke in the afternoons around 5:00 in a secluded room with all the windows open and the ceiling fan turned on, would the scent be completely gone by around 8 or 9 if I left the windows open?[/quote] close to the same problem for me. My sister smokes with me, and my mom dont care, but my grandfathers dad died of lung cancer, so hes very anti smoking. he doesnt know we do it. but we were able to site in my sisters room and smoke it with him home. Never noticed a thing :D And all windows shut.

[quote name='mushrat']If they are familiar with hookahs, they are going to notice. You might start burning incense for a while before buying your hookah, get them used to THAT smell, might not notice the hookah then.  Could smoke outside...then there are no worries...[/quote] That's gonna be the best idea... however, my dad notices the smell whether I smoke outside or not and he complains like crazy even though he's a heavy cig smoker. He can tell from the next floor if I even bring the hookah out of the closet, much less smoke it. I can't tell worth a dam if there's any smoke after an hour but he smells it if he comes home 3 days after I've smoked so it's up in the air whether or not they'll be able to tell.

Hey everyone. I'm 17 soon to be 18 and have my own hookah and smoke it at home. I keep it under my bed and wait until my parents go to bed or aren't home and then smoke it in my room. I always have the window open, fan going, and most importantly, I put a damp towel under the crack in my door. This usually works great and the smell is gone within an hour or so but some brands seem to be worse than others. I would definatly go with a damp towel and u should be good but then again my parents don't know hookah smell I don't think but they have never commented on any smells so idk. My parents would definatly disagree with my smoking it because I'm a serious athlete and have asthma so they would probably flip but doing it the way I said they haven't had a clue yet and its been a couple months. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out for you!

my parents (dad RIP) always thought i was crazy for smoking hookah but they dont care anymore besides im 23 its not like my mom could punish me for it or anything lol

if its your parents house and your parents dont want you smoking in it... dont smoke inside. im 19 (20 in a month) and my parents are ok with me smoking hookah but dont want it smoked in the house because the smell lingers for days. you may think its gone in hours but youve just gotten used to it. instead why not smoke outside? the smell dissapates in the wind and you dont need to worry about the parents catching weird smells. it may be true that one smoke session will clear out. but after awhile the whole place takes on that aroma.i hate being the old grumpy guy but i kinda wish this was an 18 and up forum only. all yall youngins arent even legal to smoke yet and as such we shouldnt really be encouraging it. go talk to your parents about smoking shisha and respect their rules, especially when it comes to affecting what they own. thats just being a responsible mature person.

[quote name='sanguinesolitud'] i hate being the old grumpy guy but i kinda wish this was an 18 and up forum only. all yall youngins arent even legal to smoke yet and as such we shouldnt really be encouraging it. go talk to your parents about smoking shisha and respect their rules, especially when it comes to affecting what they own. thats just being a responsible mature person.[/quote] The OP is 18, so thats not a big deal. But I agree. While living with the parentals, have to respect their rules. You could always educate them on what a hookah is, and that despite what it looks like, it is infact just a tobcaco pipe and thats what you plan on smoking in it.My parents don't like the idea of me smoking hookah in the house when at home because they don't want me stinking up the joint, or me potentially burning a hole in the carpet so I just set up shop in the garage (which happens to be my dad's work station equiped with a big tv/surround system ).So yeah, if you really want to keep hookah a secret from them, I recomend smoking outside once they go to bed. No sense in risking it in your room.

I suggest the Hookah Information Guide for helping to educate parents. Find it at [url="http://www.hookahwiki.com/images/6/6a/Hookah_info_sheet.pdf"]http://www.hookahwiki.com/images/6/6a/Hookah_info_sheet.pdfAlso, join the newsletter at [url="http://www.hookahwiki.com/newsletter.php"]http://www.hookahwiki.com/newsletter.php[/url].[/url] so you know when we update it.

[quote name='sanguinesolitud']if its your parents house and your parents dont want you smoking in it... dont smoke inside. im 19 (20 in a month) and my parents are ok with me smoking hookah but dont want it smoked in the house because the smell lingers for days. you may think its gone in hours but youve just gotten used to it. instead why not smoke outside? the smell dissapates in the wind and you dont need to worry about the parents catching weird smells. it may be true that one smoke session will clear out. but after awhile the whole place takes on that aroma.  i hate being the old grumpy guy but i kinda wish this was an 18 and up forum only. all yall youngins arent even legal to smoke yet and as such we shouldnt really be encouraging it. go talk to your parents about smoking shisha and respect their rules, especially when it comes to affecting what they own. thats just being a responsible mature person.[/quote] give the kiddies a break we used to be 17 once..... 18 is just a BS number people make in order to define whose old enough to do stupid stuff! but yeah respect your parents.... i live away from home and i smoke my hookah 2 or 3 times a week and my parents come to visit and they dont notice a thing... my parents are indian so they are well aware of the smell of hookah! and the wet towel thing works really well we did it in rez all the time!

First of all thanks GQ for saying the truth bout age and i think its funny how the dude complaining isnt even two years older than me. Mr. mature haha. Anyways now that I got that out, back to the issue at hand. The damp towel really does work. I agree that outside is the best but sometimes its risky bringing it in and out. Id say just try different things and most importantly, dont be careless.

a friend came over while we were writing summer reading journals. (i'm 17, 18 in november. and he's 18...get over the age thing) and my mom doesnt care that i smoke in the apartment because she doesnt want the neighbors getting weirded out/calling cops if i do it on the balcony. anyway, this was while she was at work, and a few hours later she didnt ask if i had smoked...and she knows what it smells like because i only have 3 brands :(. i also asked another friend that came over, and they didnt smell anything either... and i didnt have a window/door open at all. so...nakhla is good for something!!

[quote name='Tballa']First of all thanks GQ for saying the truth bout age and i think its funny how the dude complaining isnt even two years older than me. Mr. mature haha. Anyways now that I got that out, back to the issue at hand. The damp towel really does work. I agree that outside is the best but sometimes its risky bringing it in and out. Id say just try different things and most importantly, dont be careless.[/quote] no problem man... age is over rated..... if YOU think you are mature enough to smoke hookah then dont act stupid when you are faced with the consequences of doing it... and i think that applies to everything.now if you don't want to get caught doing it... we learned alot of basic stuff in rez.A. Heat detectors, put a condom over them and you are good to go, just be sure to take if off after!B. wet towel under the doorC. dont tell the whole fcuking world what you are doingD. febreeze is your best friend!E. have an escape route! ie. have a place ready to throw the coal.... a bowl sitting outside by the window with water in it will do.F. Purell hand sanitizerG. MILK..... whether you were drinking with your friends or smoking, a little milk gets rid of every smellhope this helps some of you under agers.... I am not condoning anything but if you feel as if you are ready to handle whatever it is people are condemning you for.. whether it be authorities or parents just be prepared to deal with the consequences and be sure you are ready to handle them if they do arise!other than that have fun and be free :PCheers!

I assume "rez" means residence. As an RA in college, I am warning you that the wet towel thing doesn't work, and it helps an RA build a case against you if you are smoking in a dorm room.There are two types of detectors, heat, and smoke. Smoke looks for particulate in the air that it is monitoring, and heat measures temperature. Thats all without getting too technical.

if your really hyper paranoid about it, probably not the best idea, but while were on topic another little way to disguise the smoke scent is to take a 20oz soda bottle, cut of the bottom, and stuff some of those scented fabric softener sheets into in and then when you exhale do it through the neck of the bottle and it filters out the aroma and replaces it with "mountain breeze" or whatever else the damned things are scented with.

[quote name='nuschultz']I assume "rez" means residence.  As an RA in college, I am warning you that the wet towel thing doesn't work, and it helps an RA build a case against you if you are smoking in a dorm room.  There are two types of detectors, heat, and smoke.  Smoke looks for particulate in the air that it is monitoring, and heat measures temperature.  Thats all without getting too technical.[/quote] we didnt have to worry about that, RA's aren't legally permitted to enter our rooms without at least 24 hours notice.... may be different in the states, we just had to make sure the detector wasnt set off.... and if it were the room couldnt smell of smoke! needless to say nothing ever happenned!

Really? I thought a wet towel worked wonders.We are actually stupid enough to test both in college!and we def. could tell a difference.Also i think "spoofs" ur fabric softner idea would kinda defeat the purpose of hiding foreign scents.I mean, yah no more fruity smell but now i have this strong fabric softner smell.But spoofs for anything else...thats green...weve had a scare cause a gaurd called in a report of funny smelling smoke. hahahaha. i guess she could smell the mix and knew right away it wasnt right.Plus the taste in the mouth makes u want to punch urself

From the people I've talked to who actually use the fabric softner cloth when smoking, they only used it when smoking either ciggs or weed in their dorm rooms. Using that method for hookah would be pointless to me. I enjoy the super thick clouds of smoke too much, so to hide them would be a waste. I'd rather just smoke outside :)