(Large Pics) Can Someone Appraise/give Me An Estimate Of What This Antique Hookah Is Worth?

Hey guys, sorry is this is the wrong thread/section. If it is, someone can kindly remove it!

As the title says, is there anyway one of you can tell me what this is worth based on its appearance/age?

I will include the pictures below:

The original asking price was over $200.00, but I thought that just because something is almost 100 years old, does NOT mean it is valuable... maybe sentimental value, but not economic value..

Thanks for all of your help and support!!

I was told it was from the 1910s...

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/11v018y.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/24w5542.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/er9ydy.jpg[/img]

Hahaha. Upside down hookah for the win. And I agree with Mike, it seems to be an Egyptian, you can get a brand new one for less. There is water droplets in that vase, you think they tried to smoke it like that?

I would also say probably Egyptian..did you just grab these pictures from somewhere or is it in your possession?

[quote name='Kathrynx' timestamp='1325961017' post='534927']
Hahaha. Upside down hookah for the win. And I agree with Mike, it seems to be an Egyptian, you can get a brand new one for less. There is water droplets in that vase, [b]you think they tried to smoke it like that?[/b]
[/quote]

Haha lets hope not.

And yeah I would agree with Iain. You probably won't get much for it.

I'll echo the rest... Old Egyptian before purge valves were common on them? Haha. I wouldn't pay over $30 for the shank alone. The vase is quite interesting, however. The way it looks, seems like it *could* quite possibly be made in the Czech Republic. Which means its more valuable than your common base. The gold trim is what leads me to believe it may be Bohemian. Really though, there's no way to be positive unless it has a sticker saying it is.

Quite nice, but I wouldn't pay much for it. That shank is probably more trouble than it's worth, and it's not really a unique style or anything. I'd get the base if anything. For the right price, of course.

And I give the seller creativity points for being the only one to assemble it with the shank upside down. :lol:
  • Upvote 1

This is a seller from E-bay who is asking over 200 for it. I am a Director of Save Washington Street, a coalition that was started with the hopes and dreams of preserving the FIRST Arab American neighborhood. We are looking for ANYTHING that was from this neighborhood in that time period (1890s-1940s) The seller said her family was in NYC at the time, and we are planning on putting a museum up one day..

www.savewashingtonstreet.org

[quote name='Carl Antoun' timestamp='1325964450' post='534942']
This is a seller from E-bay who is asking over 200 for it. I am a Director of Save Washington Street, a coalition that was started with the hopes and dreams of preserving the FIRST Arab American neighborhood. We are looking for ANYTHING that was from this neighborhood in that time period (1890s-1940s) The seller said her family was in NYC at the time, and we are planning on putting a museum up one day..

[/quote]

Just a word to the wise Hookah only really picked up n america in the late 80's.

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1325966934' post='534946']

[/quote]

Just a word to the wise Hookah only really picked up n america in the late 80's.
[/quote]

yes maybe it became popular in the late 80's. But who is to say that it wasn't here before that.
  • Upvote 1

There is no value in that thing aside from whatever value you put on it. It could be a "newish" turk, probably takes male bowls either way and that base isn't boho or anything special I've seen one like that on ebay in the past.

Imo I wouldn't pay more than $20-50 the whole story he gaves you sounds like a massive load of horse shit he told you to sucker you in on buying some old crappy hookah someone gave him or something. Edited by littlec

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1325966934' post='534946']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well.. you are talking from an "American" point of view. Arabs and "Easterners" have been coming to the USA since the late 1870s.. And also like what Michael said, that does not mean it was not brought here from someone else who is not even of Arab or Eastern descent..

I dare say that vase is the most valuable part of the hookah. If someone can positively ID that as a Bohemian glass vase, people will be willing to give decent money for it.

Good luck with your Museum. I have a little used Master's in Public History/Museum Work.

The above hookah looks like the one i saw a listing for claiming it was solid silver....same listing?

[quote name='Carl Antoun' timestamp='1326339821' post='535306']
Guys forget it. The seller is a complete IDIOT. I explained to her that her hookah was "worthless" and she got all defensive on me saying she did not want to "work with me" anymore... the truth prevails... (and wins) =D
[/quote]

That's a shame. With a little love, that could be a really cool pipe.