Car Smoking Tips

TopHatAce

So I saw a thread about smoking in your car, and since I frequently drive 3 hours to WCU and smoke the whole way there, I thought I'd post some tips for a fun, safe car trip. (Note: I do not claim to be an expert on state laws, all information here is provided from experience and is not intended as legal advice. Moderators are free to remove this post if it is in violation of any of the forum rules)

1. Smoking hookah in your car is, as far as I have found, not illegal. I was pulled over in Boone with a lit hookah in my car. I told the cop what it was, what was in it, and not to touch it because it was hot. He said it was not illegal. It's a tobacco pipe, and unless they have changed something, you can smoke any kind of tobacco pipe in your car. NC law states that an officer of the law cannot confiscate a hookah unless he can confirm the presence of marijuana. It cannot be considered paraphernalia unless the presence of marijuana can be detected. This has been corroborated by many police officers, security guards, and highway patrolmen that I have asked about this while smoking in public places, but may not be accurate.

Now that we have that out of the way and my butt is sufficiently covered...

2. I have found that cracking the driver side window about an inch will keep the car from getting hazy. The air blows past the window, but not into it, which will create a slight vacuum and suck the smoke out the window. Also, if you must turn your heating/air conditioning on, only use the vents that blow on your feet. Otherwise, the airflow will spoil your clouds and mess up your window-vacuum.

3. If you have a hookah specifically designed for the car, like the Leila, awesome. If you are using a standard hookah, you have options. Use a small one and try to get it in the center console. I used the Mya Gelato when I didn't have my Leila. Or, if you're riding with a friend, get your tallest hookah with the widest base and set it on the floor between the passenger's feet. This will help keep it from tipping over, and the height of the stem will let your friend or relative hold it steady.

4. When you set up the bowl of a standard hookah in the car, think safety first. (That was kind of a no-brainer, but still.) I usually make a lip around the bowl out of aluminum foil, about 2 inches high. This helps keep the coals from moving about, or sliding off the bowl and on to my floor. I also frequently add a wind cover, for extra extra safety. Also, check to make sure the bowl doesn't wobble on the grommet, as this can lead to disaster.

5. There is no easy way to light coals in a moving vehicle, especially quicklights. Pull over, open your door, and hold the coal out. I have used the cigarette lighter that came with the car to light quicklights before, but I had to hold the lighter in the socket for about 3 seconds after it pops. Most cigarette lighters automatically 'pop' partially out of the socket when they are hot enough, but this is usually only hot enough to light a cigarette, not a coal.

6. Keep stocked with a flavour you don't mind smoking with warm water. I personally like Starbuzz Caramel Apple and Caramel Macchiatto, as well as other cinnamon, chocolate, coffee, and mint flavours.

That's pretty much it. I've smoked in my car for about 2 years now, and I haven't really had any mishaps other than a burnt bowl of Starbuzz Black Grape, but then again that flavour ALWAYS seems to burn, no matter how I try. I hope this helped some people out!
  • Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...
Was going to wait until after I bought a leila to even attempt smoking in a moving vehicle, but these tips make me wanna try it. Especially since I have a long drive to Illinois during spring break later this year.

• 3 months later...
[quote name='kamikaze' timestamp='1335666122' post='546227']
[quote name='3rooker' timestamp='1335506174' post='546063']
I didn't really learn anything :( what a shame :-\
[/quote]

Thanks for posting.
[/quote]

well it was pretty much common sense stuff..no hints on how to actually pull it off

I have done this on trips between VA Beach and NW Indiana. I use a small hookah either my mya razo or qt in the passenger floor board and I make a wind cover out of foil. That way if I have to stop and the hookah tips over, there aren't coals flying into my floor boards.

• 2 weeks later...
Learned about the Leila from this post, purchased it. Thank you kindly sir as upto this point i was just going to consider shooting a couple holes in my driver side door and wiring a hookah to the outside like Jeremy Clarkson..

[img]http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/images/2010/12/TG-wise-men-5.jpg[/img]
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
maybe its the roads where i live but its to bumpy to be using a hookah sitting in the floor board. i tried and i had to end up holding the hookah by hand the whole time i smoked! it sucked. so ill def look into that Leila! thanks for the post!!

[quote name='Vette' timestamp='1345690133' post='554859']
maybe its the roads where i live but its to bumpy to be using a hookah sitting in the floor board. i tried and i had to end up holding the hookah by hand the whole time i smoked! it sucked. so ill def look into that Leila! thanks for the post!!
[/quote]

the leila i ok as you most likely have heard but its not like smoking a lager pipe in anyway. Also if you do buy one keep an eye on the hose port, if the hose gets to jerked around it will become loose and most likely eventually break