Who Has Made A Rival Old Af Grape?

So, this has been bugging me. We that started smoking back when there was just Nakhla and AF know that Fakher grape and royal grape were the best flavors EVER. Sweet, slightly sour, with an amazing hit of blackcurrant. THICK thick taste.

As is now well know, AF grape sucks. Has any of the dozens of competitor companies come close to reproducing the awesomeness of several years ago?

I can't say whether or not I have had the grape you are missing. I have never had a problem with AF grape bit maybe because I don't know what I'm missing.

Have you tried Tangiers Static Starlight? I know it is a different flavor from what you described above but to me it tasted like grape big league chew. A good strong purple grape flavor with just a hint of rose to smooth out the rough edges.

It might no be a directit replacement for the old AF grape, but maybe you won't miss it so much.

Doesn't Elmas or Rosanna make a grape? If so, I'm sure it is hella bomb.

As for my personal experience with grape flavors, AF grape was the worst. I had it first in 2009, which is shortly after it went downhill from what I understand. Tasted like ketchup, about made me barf all over the place. Nakhla Mizo Grape is another that I tried that was not enjoyable. Not as bad as AF grape, but not much better. Still couldn't stomach it, tasted like ketchup. I don't like smoking ketchup!

Now the best grape flavor I have ever had is Tangiers Static Starlight. Excellent blend of grape, lemon, and rose, with the grape being the most dominant. It is a flavor that will have you drooling and wanting to smoke it bowl after bowl. So delish. Coming right in at second place is Tangiers White Grape. Had this one back in the day when Jayman sent me my very first Tangiers sampler pack. It was Noir I believe, but it is also now available retail in Lucid. So if you haven't, definitely pick up these two. They won't be exactly like the old AF grape you crave, but I promise you they will be quite enjoyable.

Also, has anyone tried Nakhla El Basha Grape? I always meant to, but never got around to it...

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1324711511' post='533720']

Also, has anyone tried Nakhla El Basha Grape? I always meant to, but never got around to it...
[/quote]

I've got some el basha grape. It's not bad but nothing to write home about. Don't go out of your way to get some, but if it falls in your lap, go ahead and try it. It won't replace your Tang.

The only grape type I have had was fantasia purple haze. Reminded me of a purple tootsie roll pop. Can't say I would buy it again.

(null)

Tangiers WG doesn't have the same lightness, if that makes sense...the AF Golden grape (which was actually my favorite) actually tasted a lot like blackcurrants, or for those in the UK, exactly like Ribena

AL Masah Grape (White Grape)

problem is I have only seen it for sale in the EU.

Last time I ordered it was UK before their shisha laws....it was just like old AF Grape.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1324899062' post='533832']
Okay, let's gather a 100 or so people to email Al fakher's head office, telling them how hard their AF grape sucks these days and tell them to bring back the old AF grape! B)
[/quote]

I'm totally for this plan, just so I can see what all the "old grape" hype is all about!

The closest you'll get is probably Tangiers White Grape, but it definitely isn't the same. Next would probably be Tangiers Sour Grape if I remember correctly, but not entirely positive. The last resort is AF Golden Grape, which is a lot more perfumey, but still a good flavor.

I actually have no issues with AF Grape flavorwise, however there's this weird texture with all AF, that's very unappealing. It sort of makes your mouth dry/tacky and the smoke feels grainy. I pretty much stopped smoking AF since I noticed the change.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1324944723' post='533876']
The closest you'll get is probably Tangiers White Grape, but it definitely isn't the same. Next would probably be Tangiers Sour Grape if I remember correctly, but not entirely positive. The last resort is AF Golden Grape, which is a lot more perfumey, but still a good flavor.

I actually have no issues with AF Grape flavorwise, however there's this weird texture with all AF, that's very unappealing. It sort of makes your mouth dry/tacky and the smoke feels grainy. I pretty much stopped smoking AF since I noticed the change.
[/quote]

you know.. I've noticed this too, but I've always disregarded it thinking its just me.. hmmm.. no me gusta

I don't think I ever had AF Grape before the flavor change. In regards to favorite grapes, I really like Starbuzz Acid - Purple (Yes I said it). It taste just like grape bubble-licious chewing gum.

[quote name='squidget' timestamp='1324947902' post='533896']
I don't think I ever had AF Grape before the flavor change. In regards to favorite grapes, I really like Starbuzz Acid - Purple (Yes I said it). It taste just like grape bubble-licious chewing gum.
[/quote]

I've only had the red and orange (maybe yellow) acid flavors.. I did like them, much more than the usual overly sweet and obnoxiously fruity flavors I'm used to from SB

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1324944723' post='533876']

[/quote]

Sour grape tastes like the grape from Static Starlight, more straight forward and intereting

Amaren has a very similar taste not spot on but similar.
[url="http://www.arabicastore.com/category_details.aspx?id=12&sid=47"]http://www.arabicastore.com/category_details.aspx?id=12&sid=47[/url]
Oh and Stuie you can get amaren here too.

Does Royal still make that grape? I get royal locally and today I asked for their grape tobacco because I remembered this thread and the guy handed me something called "Grape Delight". Bought it home and smelled it, it was nothing like grape! Just a cool minty flavour very very similar to afzal pan rasna if you've tried that and which I am tired of finding rebranded by various brands. Didn't even bother smoking it and threw it away.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1324764068' post='533754']
Tangiers WG doesn't have the same lightness, if that makes sense...the AF Golden grape (which was actually my favorite) actually tasted a lot like blackcurrants, or for those in the UK, exactly like Ribena
[/quote]

Thats the perfect description - blackcurrants. The closest we could come to describing oldschool AF Grape, during a recent discussion at my house, was "kinda raisin kinda not". Had a flashback to the AF grape flavor that I remember, circa 1990-ish, when smoking golden esk apple and AF cinnamon together. Got a hint of currant from that mix somehow. No other grape commonly available comes close imo.

edit - just noticed that my profile gender is default male - changing that Edited by Judy Oma