Hj Flying Saucer Bowl

IainUM

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/threefp.jpg/"][img]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5925/threefp.jpg[/img][/url]

[b]HJ Flying Saucer Bowl[/b]

Flat out, this is a hybrid of the HJ Alien Mini Phunnel and the Vortex bowl. It is about the same size as the 2nd gen Alien mini, except instead of it having an open phunnel it has a spire that comes above the rim of the bowl with holes in it similar the vortex. The good news is, everything we love about the Alien is here. I would not call this bad, but a lot of people are hesitant to pick this bowl up because even John himself says that it does not smoke any better than the Alien. But there are some changes I think worth noting on it.

When I smoke from my Farida, I like the draw to be as wide and open as possible. I do not like to poke too many holes with the alien phunnel because of heat issues, so I never can get/ the draw as nice as I want it, even with holes over the center. This bowl allows a huge wide open draw that I should be getting from my Farida or any KM. So it gets points for that right away.

Some people may complain that it is slightly harder to foil the bowl tightly because the spire raises the foil. I did not have any issue with that...however I did have an issue with the foil with a negative angle. I was nervous that my coals would just start rolling down the bowl and hopefully land in my ash tray and not on the floor. I did only smoke from it for maybe an hour, because I could not stand to smoke any more AF Watermelon and the coals did not move. Just be cautious of this.

Overall, I really like this bowl. If you think you might want one, grab this quick. No, it does not smoke any better than the alien, but it smokes just as well and allows an easier pull IMO. While I in NO way speak for John, I do believe reading/hearing that he only had 100 of these made, was not going to release them, decided to but once they are gone, they are gone. So if you want one, go for it!

[b]9.5/10[/b] - It uses much less tobacco than a small phunnel, and performs great. I wish that the spire was smaller, but I think if he had it made any other way we would have ended up either having to use more tobacco or would not have as good a smoke from it. Edited by Floataround