For Us Lucky Tangiers Fiends

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1323748621' post='532849']
Yeah, but did yours come with high quality Chinese plastic?
[/quote]

The plastic case? Yeah. I got my set from HJ back in the day when I ordered my Al Fakher Small Solid hookah.

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323725243' post='532784']
Ok.. so as to not start a whole new thread just for my own detailed experience at the pre-release, I'll throw it in here! (with some minor details about the weekend as a whole for me)

So.. weekend began Friday morning at 10 when I left from my home (Vegas) to Pavo and Ericas home (riverside) 3.5 hour drive straight down the I-15, actually very relaxing. I arrive at their house and bring my stuff in and Pavo already has a bowl smoking with fresh coals on the burner! I believe the flavor was Kashmir Peach. We smoked for 2 or so hours and Mike, Noah, and Semenonthedeck arrived around 4 or something. And Mike loaded a fresh bowl of K Peach for another pipe.. smoked for another couple hours then we (everyone excluding Pavo and Erica) left for San Diego where we picked up Coleman. From there, we checked into the hotel and proceeded to the Tangiers Lounge for a pre-pre-release party smoke. Most of us had bad nights of sleep and had driven most of the day, so we were pretty tired and planned to only stay for an hour or two.

Well, when we arrived at the lounge (after some wrong directions and missed turns) after an awkward couple minutes of the 5 of us standing around in the doorway staring blankly around the lounge we finally figured out we should ask where we should sit and to look at menus! We quickly figured out the flavors we'd choose to smoke (Coleman and I shared a bowl of Brambleberry, Mike had a bowl of Static Starlight for himself, and the other two had Cactus Fruit after my suggestion) and sat at a large table in the center of the lounge. After a few minutes of waiting Coleman and I received our hookah complete with a Large Phunnel bowl, 4 lit coals on top and a stick of coals in the tray for when we're ready to light them on the others. First draw (as expected) was amazing and so full of flavor! After the others received their pipes as well and all was smoking, I began to look around the lounge and noticed the TV positioned near the back (loading) room. Don't remember what was on now, but through the course of the night (extended despite our original plans) we watched three or four awesome movies. After a few funny (and embarrassing) situations and conversations, we finally left for the hotel.

The following day we did some running around and general BSing untill dinner time. Coleman took us (and we met Jess there as well) to a Middle Eastern restaurant that he frequents. Food there was EPIC! I don't really know how to describe it, as it was the first food of it's kind i've ever had.. so I'll let Jess or Cole fill in the gaps if they want.

After dinner, we headed to the lounge for the pre-release party! (yaaay) We got there half an hour before they opened.. and waited outside the door as Pavo and Erica arrived and waited alongside us.

Finally Eric opens the doors and starts seating people. Our now tight-knit group was sadly split up into two sections. One group of us (Mike, Cole, Jess, Noah, and (keepforgetting ur name bro, sorry) semenondeck) was sat at a large table in the middle of the lounge. The other group (Pavo, Erica, two of their friends, and myself) were seated against a back wall on a large couch. While the couch was comfortable for our group, Eric needed more seats for people and sat more people at the couch causing all of us to bunch up together. Rather uncomfortable at first, but as the night progressed and people mingled and dispersed it wasn't so bad. The lounge filled up very quickly after we were seated. every seat in the house was taken and many people would arrive later!

An employee went around to each person/group and took individual orders based on a small list of 9 or so flavors (the new line) I don't know the full list, but I know that I tasted most of them and they were all very good. A much more "in your face" line of flavors in my opinion. Not loud, necessarily, but much more pronounced and sharp flavors. Very enjoyable.

I digress.. The flavor I picked was Summer Solstice. I realize they have this flavor in the old line, but I hadn't had it before and have always wanted to (that and everyone else seemed to have picked the other flavors I was considering; no sense in ordering the same thing!) The summer solstice was very good! to describe it is rather difficult now after I've had 9 other flavors of smoke in my mouth since that first puff, but I know it was good, and the smoke was epic (as expected)

While everyone was getting their pipes going the small lounge soon became filled with smoke. As we all continued to puff on our chosen flavors, people began the mingling process. Some would just walk up to other groups and just ask about the flavor they chose, and if they hadn't tried it yet, would ask for a couple puffs. There were a lot of new friends made all over the lounge!

As the night went on the crowd began to dwindle and dwindle, the lounge never emptied completely, and at the end of the night, there was probably enough people to still fill every seat available in the building, but probably half of the people left by 2 a.m. (the scheduled time for the anxiety arousing raffle). A little after 2 Eric began to set out the prizes onto his table. Among the list of prizes were vase protectors, AF playing cards, a candle holer set, stem and vase brushes, and a 2 hose KM quadmetal(I believe) with all the trimmings including two of Erics hoses, stem/vase brushes, and a phunnel bowl.

The first round of raffling was very exciting. With the items listed in the running, everyone in the room was held in anticpation! Eric Decided the he would make things interesting with this raffle by calling out 8 raffle tickets and the holders of each ticket would come up and select a playing card arranged from the seven through to the ace (all same suite) and he had cards face down underneath each prize. So in a sense.. you choose you're prize without knowing what it is if you're ticket is pulled..

The raffling commenced with erics voice reading off the first raffle ticket

"2-9-2"

I look at my ticked, back at Eric, at my ticket again stunned in realization that the first ticked called out was my ticket. This really excited me, as I have never won a raffle in my life and to have my ticked selected first, was an omen of goodness!! I walk up nervous and excited at the same time to choose my card.. 7 is my favorite number and usually my lucky number, but that was too obvious and just didn't seem like the right choice to me. I went with the jack after a few moments of tough consideration.

Eric continued pulling ticket stubs and handing out cards. Among the other cardholders was another one of our fine members here, Mike! After the cards were all handed out.. and a few wisecracks made along the way.. Eric began to reveal what prize each cardholder would recieve. After a rather loud and abrupt debate on whether to start with the most valuable gifts, the least valuable gifts, or the gifts right in the middle, Eric decided to start from the bottom and work his way up. First up was a vase protecter.. Althought I now own 2 cracked KM vases and should probably take the hint and take better care of my vase.. I secretly wished my matching card was not the one underneath this yellow-green protecter. (don't get me wrong, I'd be very appreciative of ANY gift, but to choose between a vase protecter and a Slick KM with all the trimmings, anyone would hope to last out untill the end). The first card called.. was.. NOT a jack! "*whew* one round down.. 7 to go.." I thought to myself hoping to be the gracious new owner of a brand new KM

the rounds continued a number of times. Each round more intense and exciting than the last. Finally there is three cards left.. the holders of which were Mike, myself, and some guy I hadn't had the chance to talk to. the prices left were the AF cards, a green Tangiers hose with custom wood tips, and of course, the KM.

Eric is on the cards.. all i keep thinking to myself is how much I hoped it would be the other guy.. and how stoked I would be if either mike, or myself won the KM. The card is pulled, eric knows what it is.. and he toys with us. Playing mind games to raise and lower each of our hopes at his own will.

He asks what Mikes card is.. mike answers.. Eric smiles and tells Mike he's now the owner of two decks of fancy AF playing cards, both complete with plastic cases!

Honestly, they looked really cool. As an avid player of solitaire, I would love a deck like that! Congrats to mike for the two awesome decks!

Back on track.. Down to me, and the stranger. mano y mano.. a game of war.. each with a deck of only one card. One winner to take the beautiful hose, one winner to take the beautiful pipe.. tensions were soaring. Eric pulls the card from under the hose.. looks at it.. asks the stranger what his card is.. asks me what mine is.

"the jack" i reply.

He looks back and forth between the two of us a few times.. asks the stranger again what his card was (as if Eric had forgotten) when returned with a response, eric tells the stranger to come on up to claim his new prize!!

The stranger would take the.. KM pipe!. To me, goes the Epic hose! The soft handle and hoseport handles are green. the tips, wood, the hose itself, leather. A beautiful hose. It will be a prized possesion of mine for years to come.

I have never had so much fun in my life at a raffle! There were laughs, lulls, wise-cracks, and wise-words.
After smoking with this hose today, I have to say that it is AWESOME! the wood mouth tips feel great, the draw is very smooth. Just an awesome deal, really.
After the main raffle, Eric raffled off a lot of tobacco, after that those of us HFers that were hanging out together, took our goup pic, and pavo, erica, and I left to go back to riverside.. from where I would depart the next morning.

It was an amazing weekend. There were a lot of laughs, a lot of smiles, and a lot of growing friendships.
I was surprised at how cool the people I met were. Everone was very interesting and had a lot of great things to say and talk about. I got to spend a lot of quality time with some awesome people this weekend, and I really appreciate the opportunity. I would not have been able to make it down, if Mike hadn't helped me out like he did. I owe you man, and I plan to repay you with an awesome favor one day..

anywho.. GREAT weekend.
[/quote]

Excellent description! Exactly what I wanted to know about the event! Thanks a lot for taking the time to tell us who were not able to attend what it was like!

thanks guys. and I'm glad I could somewhat help you to understand how awesome it was there. I will definitely be making teh 6 hour trip to SD over and over again.. well.. 4 hours to erica and pavos.. then 2 hours with them. to SD.. wayyy easier

[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1323805555' post='532939']
Yeah, we have 3 or 4 threads going on about the party hahah, im still confused as to why we have so many threads lol
[/quote]

Because it was that awesome? I think so.

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323807733' post='532945']
thanks guys. and I'm glad I could somewhat help you to understand how awesome it was there. I will definitely be making teh 6 hour trip to SD over and over again.. well.. 4 hours to erica and pavos.. then 2 hours with them. to SD.. wayyy easier
[/quote]

Hell I'd be there all the time if I lived 6 hours away! Haha.

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323807733' post='532945']
[/quote]
When ever you make the trip tell me!
:D

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1323979791' post='533119']
I gotta reserve some time off work and fly out from Pittsburgh
[/quote]
YAY PAT :D you need to tell me when you plan this cause it will be fun :D

[quote name='iMPeRiaL 619' timestamp='1323994191' post='533152']
Cant wait to be back home! its only a 5 minute drive from my house and it was just opening when i left for bootcamp B)

This lounge is all open to the public right?
[/quote]

Yes.

You are so lucky. God I envy you...

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1323995139' post='533157']
Haha. No, please, I love hearing about others' experiences with the Tangiers lounge. I want to go so bad. It's like Mecca for me. :lol:
[/quote]
Chris I want you to come out and go! Its so damn nice there

[quote name='Dereksd' timestamp='1324429441' post='533473']
Ahhh ok well I'm from SD. Live in la right now but moving back to sd Saturday. Gonna be in IB. We should hang
[/quote]

I gotta head back out of town monday :/ I'm stationed in Florida right now. the hookah scene over there sucks