Obama Proposes Indefinite Detention

mustafabey

I've stayed out of the political arena for the past few months here. Frankly,it was getting me depressed. Media has a way to keep upset and fearful. But today i came across this. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8mPZlysCAm0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8mPZlysCAm0[/url]. It scares the crap out of me. OK, I'm a liberal, and I always thought the Republicans were tools of the rich and the Dems represented the only hope for the average America. i had secret fears that it was all a charade, these inter party wars, and that Presidents were just actors and spokesmen for the puppetmaster. But who is the puppetmaster and what in the hell do we do in the 2012 election?

I'm a conservative and feel the same way you do. I can't vote for Obama and none of the Republican candidates is worthy either.

Simon and Garfunkel put it best:
[i]"Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose[/i]"

We deserve better than what we've been getting when it comes to leadership. Oh, and Congress is no better. Even my state's government is incompetent and corrupt. My county is bankrupt and many of the former commissioners are in jail.

But when there's no choice, what do we do?

Vote for me . . . . . NOW! :lol:

I don't vote in elections where somebody is running unopposed. I figure they will win even if they get just their own vote. Most of the time I vote for the lesser of two evils, but I have been disappointed more than a few times.

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1323669798' post='532651']
sarah palin, 2013
[/quote]

:ban:

I cannot vote for the lesser of two evils. Not voting at all shows BOTH parties that America isn't happy with the options. Unfortunately, most people choose to vote for who they feel is the lesser of two evils and it doesn't matter either way...

That said, I have a feeling I won't be voting this time.

Additionally, I'm somewhat partial to the idea that the presidential elections are rigged. So really, what does it matter?

I vote for the liberitarian candidate (Bob Barr last election) I dont care if I am "throwing my vote away" these bastids have ruined my country I will not be part of the problem.

I think there needs to be a movement for a write-in candidate that becomes a clear indication of "we hate you all". Not voting doesn't tell them anything. "Throwing away your vote" doesn't help either because they assume you voted "for" that candidate instead of against the others. My suggestion is someone (us?, why the hell not us?) come up with a historical candidate and begin a media campaign stating clearly that that particular candidate is a vote against every single one of them. There's certainly time enough left to pull it off.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1323706624' post='532710']
I think there needs to be a movement for a write-in candidate that becomes a clear indication of "we hate you all". Not voting doesn't tell them anything. "Throwing away your vote" doesn't help either because they assume you voted "for" that candidate instead of against the others. My suggestion is someone (us?, why the hell not us?) come up with a historical candidate and begin a media campaign stating clearly that that particular candidate is a vote against every single one of them. There's certainly time enough left to pull it off.

'Rani
[/quote]

This is a good idea as well. To be honest, I'm not sure why it hasn't happened yet...

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1323685322' post='532691']
[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1323669798' post='532651']
sarah palin, 2013
[/quote]

:ban:

I cannot vote for the lesser of two evils. Not voting at all shows BOTH parties that America isn't happy with the options. Unfortunately, most people choose to vote for who they feel is the lesser of two evils and it doesn't matter either way...

That said, I have a feeling I won't be voting this time.

Additionally, I'm somewhat partial to the idea that the presidential elections are rigged. So really, what does it matter?
[/quote]

You are just going to be lumped in with the millions of americans who are too lazy to vote and too apathetic to care who gets elected.

If you show politicians that it is not worth an hour of your time to pop over to the local highschool and cast your vote, why would they bother to do a better job for you?

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1323702617' post='532707']
I vote for the liberitarian candidate (Bob Barr last election) I dont care if I am "throwing my vote away" these bastids have ruined my country I will not be part of the problem.
[/quote]

This is the way to go. It's not throwing away your vote. If a liberitarian candidate gets enough votes, they will get some media coverage and more people will realize that there are more than two shitty options. If a liberitarian candidate gets enough votes to actually become a threat, the Dems and Repubs, may actually do their job to compete with the Liberitarian. Even if the liberitarian doesnt win, we may get the occasional positive result out of the asshat that does get elected. It is a snow ball effect.

I have avoided pushing my political views here other than on specific topics, but I encourage you all to check out the liberitarian party at [url="http://lp.org"]http://lp.org[/url]. Take a look at their views and decide for yourself if you agree or disagree.

What I like about them is that they propose to do only what the government is supposed to do and leave everything else up to us.

If you think people should give a ceriain amount of their money to people with less money, you go ahead and do that, dont ask the government to force a nation to do what 51% of the people think is right.

If you think people people should only be married if they are a traditional man/woman couple or that unwanted babies shouldn't be aborted, you go ahead and try to convince people that you are right, dont ask the government to force a nation to do what 51% of the people think is right.

- - the soap box is now available for the next rant - - Edited by Skoozle

Hm, excellent points have been made and I'd like to just say perhaps my previous post was wrong. I'm more in line with you guys now as what the best approach is to show the Democrats and Republicans they can shove it all up their ass. :lol:

I have actually voted Libertarian in the past. Why don't I espouse it now? Because honestly, I don't think any of the parties are any different from each other. [u]Politics is their career![/u] And if you have a specific goal in mind for your career, you go to work for the company (party) that is most likely to give you the chance to get to your goals. The Libertarian party has a tendency to have younger members, but again it's a career path. And even if it gains enough political power to be a force of reckoning, it's not going to take a majority in either of the houses of Congress, or the White House for at least another 50 years, because there are other parties challenging them for recognized 3rd party status. Plus I have a instinctive hesitation about a political party you have to pay to join.

'Rani

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1323717056' post='532752']
You prefer a party funded by corporations?
[/quote]

I don't think political parties should be owned by ANYBODY. Do you think you should pay for your party affiliation? They're not asking for donations, they're insisting you pay to join and take part. You can't go to the GOP or DNC websites without hitting a donation window, but you aren't forced to pay to be a part of them. None of the other "3rd Party" organizations insist on payment up front either.

On a side note but still on topic, an interesting thing happened......... My Representative sent me an email this morning as part of poll. She's actually asking us, her constituents, how she should vote on an issue. If she can do it, why the hell can't all of them?

'Rani

I think political parties push agendas to please whoever is bank rolling them. I would prefer my politicians be backed by me and other real individual people as opposed to corporations.

I don't have to join or pay the liberitarian party to vote for them, but i know they aren't swayed by money from lobbyist.

On the point of your Representative; Bravo for her, how did she slip through the cracks?

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1323725892' post='532789']
I think political parties push agendas to please whoever is bank rolling them. I would prefer my politicians be backed by me and other real individual people as opposed to corporations.

I don't have to join or pay the liberitarian party to vote for them, but i know they aren't swayed by money from lobbyist.

[b]On the point of your Representative; Bravo for her, how did she slip through the cracks?[/b]
[/quote]

I have no idea, but she's one of the few I don't send a "are you stupid or what" letter to at least once a month. Quite surprising....... I'd say it's because she's a woman, but I've also got two idiot female senators so it sure isn't hormones.

'Rani

Well she certainly makes a good case for cloning.

Mustafabey, sorry for the thread jacking. In response to your video, the best way to avoid breaking the law is to make laws to suit your needs. Obama hasn't done anything here to make me think any less of him than I already did.

Maybe we will get lucky next year.

Why wait until next year? Hell, I'd like to get lucky tonight.

I'm a firm believer in voting for the person, not the party. I've voted Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, and for some with no party affiliation for various offices. This next Presidential election will be the 11th I've voted in. Yeah, I'm old, and things haven't changed much in all those years.

[url="http://www.americanselect.org/"]http://www.americanselect.org/[/url]

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1323733471' post='532818']
Why wait until next year? Hell, I'd like to get lucky tonight.

I'm a firm believer in voting for the person, not the party. I've voted Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, and for some with no party affiliation for various offices. This next Presidential election will be the 11th I've voted in. Yeah, I'm old, and things haven't changed much in all those years.
[/quote]

I should have been more clear: Maybe we will get politically lucky next year. Which I think is much much less likely than any of us getting romantically lucky.

I vote for the person too, but I think the party affiliation says a lot about their character. You dont get to be the democratic or republican candidate by being honest. Edited by Skoozle

all the are doing is passing a law to make it legal to do what they're already doing.

The great irony that I find is that had this been George Bush doing the same thing, all we would hear is how bad it was. The media would ignore the fact that it was passed by a Democratic Senate, and concentrate on the fact George Bush signed. And we would hear about it on every news channel on every regular commercial network for the next six months. But, since it is the Messiah of the left that signed it, news coverage has been pretty damn scarce, with negative opinion news coverage be even more rare. my point being, not there would be any better had George Bush signed that act into law, but that because it was George Bush the negative news coverage would've been far greater as this piece of crap made its way through Congress.

Whenever another one of these laws makes it on the books is nothing more than another victory for the terrorist asses.

But, don't you feel safe? This is just another one of those liberties you are willing to trade to feel safer. You really aren't any safer but you should feel safer.

that said, I had a write in candidate last time around. My Lost. He only got three votes. I absolutely refuse to go vote for someone like McCain, Gingrich, Romney, or any of the other progressives that they seem to keep throwing at the public. I don't see any hope for Ron Paul, in any debate is going to look like a buffoon over foreign-policy. Not like what we currently have is not a buffoon, but at least his foreign-policy would be a pre-World War I isolationist policy. Ignoring the world is going to make it go away, it is going to fix our foreign-policy, and dislike so many things in life ignoring it will make it worse.

Looks like my cat will be running again this year.

Might just vote for cat,Scotsman. We should start a write in campaign

And I offer a running mate

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2279]
If cats and dogs can agree, why can't Republicans and Democrats