Base Just Cracked... :(

So.. I'm cleaning my hookah this morning, you know the drill.. lime juice, warm water, scrubby brush etc.
Got her all sparkling clean and smelling fresh, felt very accomplished with myself as I've been just rinsing it out for the past month or so.. haven't given it a good cleaning in a while..
anyways.. i set it out to dry on the pepsi crate (my drying rack) next to my desk..
I'm typing away to mikes post about smoking this morning, about how I'm down and i'll be in TC with him for the smoke.. just get done sending it when i hear a slight *crack*

I keep some water bottles on my desk so I figured that's all it was.. but then I started to think... maybe I should check the base.. Looking at it, everything looks fine and dandy. Then I picked it up and looked closer at the bottom... and that's when my hear sunk.

The base has a 9" crack in the bottom corner wrapping around the outside of it..
I had another base just like this before, and it had a similar crack after I let my ex-roomate use the pipe one night.. actually the crack is identical!!

Anyways.. I'm very upset.. Looks like I'll be in the market for a new base now if I can raise the fundages :(

sad sad day

Ok.. so I was thinking.. I don't want to scrap this base.. is there any way to try to salvage it?! like.. windshield repair resin.. or something along those lines... how waterproof is duct tape?

I also have automotive clearcoat.. but I don't want to smoke those chemicals! it's bad enough just getting a whiff..
hmm.. bondo? lol
hmm.. ideas people.. this is what i need.

just needs to work another couple of weeks..

i would consider the windshield resin. id talk to a windshield repair guy and ask him. or if their is a glass shop around, try them, they would know ho to fix a crack. also maybe try going to a hookah lounge, maybe on of the people there know what to do.
i wouldnt suggest duct tape though. my bet is with some type of resin

good call tyler.. The windshield resin would work.. but needs pressure in order to fill the crack.. after calling gorilla glue, the rep told me that gorilla super glue (which i already have) is designed to fill into cracks on it's own. They also say that although it's not water"proof" that it is water resistant and they say It shouldnt have any problems sealing the crack from the outside once fully cured..

If this doesn't work.. i guess i'm stuck with the QT untill i can score a new base.. lol

so...wait...I'm confused...how did it actually get cracked? from the way you write it, it sounds as though it just 'happened' without provocation. if that's the case, warranty that bitch. or call a lawyer.

seriously though, is it a fracture type crack, or did the bottom fall off? if it's just a fracture, maybe it doesn't even leak...? otherwise, take a look at this glue: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Fusion-Clear-Urethane-Glue/dp/B001HO8EP6"]clicky clicky[/url]

or you could try a number of sealants used for plumbing...

its a fracture type crack..
i think it cracked from cooling down quickly after being filled with the warm (to hot-ish) water..

it does leak slowly.. that glue soudns badass! but i already have gorilla super glue.. lol if this doesnt work i'll just ride it out

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323279846' post='532030']
good call tyler.. The windshield resin would work.. but needs pressure in order to fill the crack.. after calling gorilla glue, the rep told me that gorilla super glue (which i already have) is designed to fill into cracks on it's own. They also say that although it's not water"proof" that it is water resistant and they say It shouldnt have any problems sealing the crack from the outside once fully cured..

If this doesn't work.. i guess i'm stuck with the QT untill i can score a new base.. lol
[/quote]

i have used that gorilla glue that fills cracks, but it doesnt seem to me like it would be very water tight. and also, (if we are talking about the same glue) it expands, which could spread your crack.
this is what i would try.
clean the bottom of the base where the crack is. let it dry. cover the crack with resign. let it harden. be VERY careful with if after that :)
also, you could try an epoxy. its alot like resin, and probably a little easier. probably cheaper too

well, regular gorilla glue expands.. this is gorilla super glue.. The rep said it won't expand and that it actually is activated with water! pretty cool sounding stuff

either way.. the glue is already on the base.. just waiting for drying

[quote name='absalom' timestamp='1323281261' post='532041']
so...wait...I'm confused...how did it actually get cracked? from the way you write it, it sounds as though it just 'happened' without provocation. [u][b]if that's the case, warranty that bitch. or call a lawyer.[/b][/u]

[/quote]

It's just a vase. ;)

That said, it is very unfortunate...

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323283316' post='532046']
well, regular gorilla glue expands.. this is gorilla super glue.. The rep said it won't expand and that it actually is activated with water! pretty cool sounding stuff

either way.. the glue is already on the base.. just waiting for drying
[/quote]

well i hope it works! and if i were you, id think about adding a second application of the glue. cover a bigger/wider area around the crack. so your basically sealing the seal. haha i just like to go overboard when fixing things.

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323287834' post='532065']
I'm the same way.. i'll add a second round after this dries.. taking a long time to dry around the crack itself though.. the other areas dried really fast.. weird
[/quote]

must have something to do with it filling in the crack, that why its taking longer. as long as its doing its job though!

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1323283498' post='532047']
[quote name='absalom' timestamp='1323281261' post='532041']
so...wait...I'm confused...how did it actually get cracked? from the way you write it, it sounds as though it just 'happened' without provocation. [u][b]if that's the case, warranty that bitch. or call a lawyer.[/b][/u]

[/quote]

It's just a vase. ;)

That said, it is very unfortunate...
[/quote]
I was joking...which is why I followed with 'seriously though...'
understanding that I'm still a noob here, eventually people will figure out that I'm not too terribly serious. honestly, you should probably disregard most anything I say... :)

[quote name='¤Tyler¤' timestamp='1323283164' post='532045']
and also, it expands, which could spread your crack.
[/quote]

out of context, this could be taken a variety of ways... :blink:

your glue layers made me think of shrek (ogres are like onions), I like that film so that put me in a good mood :P I hope the glue does the trick for you and you can use your vase again soon!

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1323289095' post='532072']
your glue layers made me think of shrek (ogres are like onions), I like that film so that put me in a good mood :P I hope the glue does the trick for you and you can use your vase again soon!
[/quote]
"what about cake? cakes have layers!"
bahahahaha!!! :lol:

[quote name='absalom' timestamp='1323289013' post='532071']
[quote name='¤Tyler¤' timestamp='1323283164' post='532045']
and also, it expands, which could spread your crack.
[/quote]

out of context, this could be taken a variety of ways... :blink:
[/quote]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! im seriously crying a little. :D

lol you guys have got me cracking up!

The first layer of glue is all dry now.. second layer applied. this stuff seems like its going to work great! My only concern now is where the crack goes up under the paint a little. I Think that's under the surface of the glass itself too, no ridge or anything, but we'll see.. I extended the glue past it regardless..

i put this layer on a bit thinner to dry quicker, i figure i can always add more layers if necessary.

hope it works! haha

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet, but have you tried throwing your fists into the air and cursing the heavens? Screaming "why?! why have you forsaken me?!". I mean, I don't know that it's going to fix your crack or anything, but maybe it will make you feel better?

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1323298330' post='532122']
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet, but have you tried throwing your fists into the air and cursing the heavens? Screaming "why?! why have you forsaken me?!". I mean, I don't know that it's going to fix your crack or anything, but maybe it will make you feel better?
[/quote]

^ i 100% agree