Shisha + Cold = Bad

so i take my hookah everywhere i go. its almost always in my car. i usually dont smoke at home, i just take it to a friends house and we usually all smoke there. its december, so obviously its cold as fuck outside. and ive been leaving my hookah in my car (along with my shisha) lately it seems like im not getting flavor from anything i was starting to get worried i burned out my taste buds of something, cuz none of my flavors had much taste. then i realized the cold is probably doing something to it. a little while ago, i read that your not suppoed to refrigerate shisha.

just thought id warn you guys, so you dont end up with 5 boxes of shisha with no flavor :(

right, im gonna have to enforce hass on this one, shisha aint the tobacco, I thought for a second that your hookah got damaged from the cold and was really :o faced irl. As for cold not being good for the tobacco thats true, room temperature is best for storage :)

You will loose the taste, you should be able to just re acclimate it. If you have not allready, put it into a glad or tupperwear like container at room temperature. leave the lid off for four hours, stirring every 45-60 minutes. After the four hours, leave it covered for 20 hours. Open it up the next day and if it smells as it should, you should be good. if not, repeat again.

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1323087700' post='531680']
right, im gonna have to enforce hass on this one, shisha aint the tobacco, I thought for a second that your hookah got damaged from the cold and was really :o faced irl. As for cold not being good for the tobacco thats true, room temperature is best for storage :)
[/quote]
not sure if i unerstand you correctly, but i DO know the shisha is the tobacco, and the hookah is the actual smoking device :P
i keep all my shisha and my hookah in a big case. so it ALL gets left in my car :)

[quote name='¤Tyler¤' timestamp='1323089880' post='531693']
[/quote]
not sure if i unerstand you correctly, but i DO know the shisha is the tobacco, and the hookah is the actual smoking device :P
i keep all my shisha and my hookah in a big case. so it ALL gets left in my car :)
[/quote]

Actually, shisha is used for referring to tobacco, but it's the wrong terminology. Shisha and hookah, both are different names of the pipe itself, and the tobacco is called mu'assel.

Confused? Blame Hassouni, he is a member on here! :D

Honestly screw the "shisha =/= tobacco"

Sure maybe where some people are from the term isnt accurate, but here, at least where I live, the United States, Shisha is the tobacco. I view it as there is different slang in different countries. For instance, England calling french fries, chips; or vice versa. Or a trunk a boot. The term should depend on where you live, it's not a universal term.

Also, just look at any US based hookah retailer, what do they call the tobacco.... I guess you gotta email them and ask to change the policy. Edited by grock

You can keep it refrigerated, I have a friend who does that. Just let it sit out for 30 minutes - 1 hr to allow it to get back to room temp. Otherwise I dont believe you wrecked anything. I wouldnt leave the hookah in the car, if anything is wet it could harm your base upon expanding.

It isnt hassounis fault, the lounge I go to and got all my basics from is owned by 2 egyptian brothers and frequented by their friends, they say shisha for pipe and just call tobacco tobacco :P

[quote name='¤Tyler¤' timestamp='1323089880' post='531693']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Most of the USA
shisha = tobacco
hookah = pipe

Pretty much the rest of the world
shisha (or other names not hookah) = pipe

I think of it as regional dialect. It's not wrong, per se, it's just wrong from a traditional standpoint. These are all terms used to describe what we consider to be a "hookah": Water pipe, waterpipe, narghile, nargil, nargeela, argeela, argileh, dakka, shisha, hookah, huqqah, hubble-bubble, lula, lulava, pipe, cachimba, galyan, guduguda, chillim, etc. EVERY ONE OF THOSE WORDS IS APPROPRIATE TO USE. Want to make a new one up? Give it a new slang? Go for it. It's all just regional dialect and slang variations and hand-me-down pronunciation & annunciation. Maybe we are all saying it wrong, because maybe thousands of years ago, the first person to make and use a "hookah" simply referred to it as "that fucking thing".

To me anyways, it doesn't matter. This is a forum for talking about hookah (no matter what you call it), and regardless of what you call any of it, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure out what you're talking about.

"Hey, so I picked up that fucking thing from a turkish bazaar, I got the poopy bit for on top and it came with a nice patterned mofo, but the owner didn't have any whatchamacallit for it. Can anyone tell me the best place to order some whatchamacallit? I want something that is going to be really fruity! I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm excited!"

[b]TL;DR:[/b]

[img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/007/508/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png?1320774627[/img]

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1323107703' post='531736']
I think of it as regional dialect. It's not wrong, per se, it's just wrong from a traditional standpoint. These are all terms used to describe what we consider to be a "hookah": Water pipe, waterpipe, narghile, nargil, nargeela, argeela, argileh, dakka, shisha, hookah, huqqah, hubble-bubble, lula, lulava, pipe, cachimba, galyan, guduguda, chillim, etc. EVERY ONE OF THOSE WORDS IS APPROPRIATE TO USE. Want to make a new one up? Give it a new slang? Go for it. It's all just regional dialect and slang variations and hand-me-down pronunciation & annunciation. Maybe we are all saying it wrong, because maybe thousands of years ago, the first person to make and use a "hookah" simply referred to it as "that fucking thing".

To me anyways, it doesn't matter. This is a forum for talking about hookah (no matter what you call it), and regardless of what you call any of it, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure out what you're talking about.

"Hey, so I picked up that fucking thing from a turkish bazaar, I got the poopy bit for on top and it came with a nice patterned mofo, but the owner didn't have any whatchamacallit for it. Can anyone tell me the best place to order some whatchamacallit? I want something that is going to be really fruity! I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm excited!"

[b]TL;DR:[/b]

[img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/007/508/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png?1320774627[/img]
[/quote]

....redditor?

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1323102085' post='531713']
You can keep it refrigerated, I have a friend who does that. Just let it sit out for 30 minutes - 1 hr to allow it to get back to room temp. Otherwise I dont believe you wrecked anything. I wouldnt leave the hookah in the car, if anything is wet it could harm your base upon expanding.
[/quote]

And what would be the advantages of refrigeration?

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1323173958' post='531838']
[/quote]

well, you might get the tobacco to take on the flavor of the cabbage and bleu cheese in the same compartment...nom nom nom
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='absalom' timestamp='1323191419' post='531858']
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1323173958' post='531838']
[/quote]

well, you might get the tobacco to take on the flavor of the cabbage and bleu cheese in the same compartment...nom nom nom
[/quote]

This doubtful....

The advantage according to what he believes is that it keeps the flavor fresh. I can confirm that it did keep the "wetness" of the shisha. I can also confirm that it doesn't take away the flavor in any which way.

But otherwise I would not personally refrigerate my shisha cause I don't see an outlying reason why to do so, though I would not be opposed if someone did do it.

Honestly I would avoid leaving the tobacco in the car if it gets cold like that. I have been the noob who put tobacco in the fridge, made my tang lucid orange soda very light on flavor and saddened me plus who wants to wait for the tobacco to get back to room temp before smoking, that's like going to a prostitute and waiting for 45 minutes before using her.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1323206460' post='531893']
Honestly I would avoid leaving the tobacco in the car if it gets cold like that. I have been the noob who put tobacco in the fridge, made my tang lucid orange soda very light on flavor and saddened me plus who wants to wait for the tobacco to get back to room temp before smoking, that's like going to a prostitute and waiting for 45 minutes before using her.
[/quote]

One more reason to not refrigerate tobacco, and to not go to a refrigerated prostitute. :D

My last post was on March 26th.. And I come back.. And the first thread I actually read.. Is arguing. Damn, things haven't change :-D *snuggles up against the forum*