Base Liquids

¤Tyler¤

I just recently purchased my first hookah last week, and two 100 gram cannisters of shisha by Social Smoke. One is Twisted and the other is Arabian Nights. After smoking a few bowls each, I tried experimenting with different bases. For the Twisted, I used a berry berry something kool-aid packet and it turned out nice. With the Arabian Nights, I brewed up my killer strong coffee and added that as a base which worked out extremely well, as Arabian Nights smells like spiced coffee to begin with. But I have to say I plan on sticking with regular cold water as the flavors of the shisha themselves are rather nice and don't need enhancing in my experience. Hope I was helpfull.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Danneh' timestamp='1350168371' post='558419']
We'll sometimes do a drink mix added- and it's nice to add a bit of variety when we're out there for more than a few hours. But it really doesn't change that much.
[/quote]

Details perhaps, Danneh? I do appreciate you're vague response, as I like to keep mine as un-personal, and disconnected as possible. But some details are necessary to make a reply valid... :P

I'm just giving you a hard time, but I'm serious, details?

I do play around with adding stuff to the base. My rule of thumb is the majority of the base contents must be water. If not Bad things BAD THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Ive actually started putting hard candies in the vase with fresh water. Jolly Ranchers and Life Savers work great!

[quote name='VaporVampyre' timestamp='1352080050' post='559928']
Ive actually started putting hard candies in the vase with fresh water. Jolly Ranchers and Life Savers work great!
[/quote]

DUDE!! i love your screen name! lol Wish I'd thought of something like that :(

It's really nice to see a strong water purist stance on this topic. I would like to open a hookah lounge and I'm considering offering different bases. After reading these posts, the thought of the potential long term damage to the hookahs is turning me away from the idea. I would love it if anyone had more insight into why milk, for instance, or any other substance is particularly bad? I understand that as for altering flavors, a base liquid is the wrong approach but I'm more concerned with serious reasons NOT TO USE alternatives to water. Obviously a lounge would clean every part of the hookah after any use so I'm wondering if, with the understanding that I'd need to thoroughly clean the hookahs after each use anyway, would using different sugar based drinks and milk really damage my equipment and or harm my customers in any way? Thanks for any insights or random comments.

[quote name='HookahDream' timestamp='1352106007' post='559956']
It's really nice to see a strong water purist stance on this topic. I would like to open a hookah lounge and I'm considering offering different bases. After reading these posts, the thought of the potential long term damage to the hookahs is turning me away from the idea. I would love it if anyone had more insight into why milk, for instance, or any other substance is particularly bad? I understand that as for altering flavors, a base liquid is the wrong approach but I'm more concerned with serious reasons NOT TO USE alternatives to water. Obviously a lounge would clean every part of the hookah after any use so I'm wondering if, with the understanding that I'd need to thoroughly clean the hookahs after each use anyway, would using different sugar based drinks and milk really damage my equipment and or harm my customers in any way? Thanks for any insights or random comments.
[/quote]

The problem with milk, at least that's been explained to me, is that the fat in it is what causes it to bubble up and get into your pipe and hose. I've done it before with really no issues, but don't plan on doing it again. However, feel free to do whatever you want! As long as you're enjoying it, who's to say otherwise? :)

[quote name='HookahDream' timestamp='1352106007' post='559956']
[/quote]

The problem with milk, at least that's been explained to me, is that the fat in it is what causes it to bubble up and get into your pipe and hose. I've done it before with really no issues, but don't plan on doing it again. However, feel free to do whatever you want! As long as you're enjoying it, who's to say otherwise? :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Has anyone tried tonic water and jello mix? My gf on Pinterest that mixing the two will make it glo but she can remember if you have to add anything else.. I told her to try to find it and we will try it. I will update if its a good mix or not.. Unless someone else has beat me to it... As of now I like to use ice cold water, ice cubes, lemon slices, and lemon juice or Capri sun fruit punch.

The tonic water will glow under a black light due to the quinine. 

I guess the jello is for flavor, it won't make anything glow.  Jello sounds like a pain in the ass to clean afterwards.

You don't need to add flavor to the water if you pack and heat your tobacco correctly.

Lol yeah that's what I thought about adding jello Mix with it.. Thanks for the info man! I pack my bowl loose I like the pull better.. Edited by Nvmysvt

• 10 months later...