Base Liquids

¤Tyler¤

so ive tried a few different things in place of water in the vase.
i know some people like using things other than water, so lets discuss the good (and bad) water substitutes
once i was smoking some blackberry shisha (not sure of the brand, i didnt buy it or pack the bowl, it was my friends hookah)
i was about to fill the base/vase (whatever term you prefer) with water, but i remembered that there was a Sobe drink in the fridge
i cant remember what flavor it was, but i know it was pink. that was by far the best tasting bowl ive ever had. SO MUCH flavor.
tried a different flavor of Sobe a while back (again i dont know what flavor, a friend bought the Sobe) with hookah hookah brand Fruit Punch sish. i know everyone hates hookah-hookah sisha, and now i know why. the fruit punch was terrible.

another time i used a fruity heavily carbonated drink i found in my fiends fridge. and it was just terrible. it ended up bubbling up and getting really fizzy. and every hit id suck in a lot of liquid. so i stay away from anything with carbonation.

ive been meaning to try vodka , but havent got around too it yet.

the Sobe fruit drinks have been pretty good. i would definitely recommend trying it sometime.
so what about you guys? Edited by ¤Tyler¤

I prefer only water in the base while smoking my hookah. I've tried some stuff, but after trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that for me, water gives the best results.

I guess I can somewhat explain why - Suppose you're about to eat a fresh apple. Do you wash it with water to get the fresh, crisp taste of the apple itself, or do you try to enhance the flavour by washing it with some apple juice?

That is however, only a personal preference of mine. By the way, whenever you use juice or any other liquids in the base, do remember to wash your hookah and base (preferably hose too, if it's washable) thoroughly immediately after the session. The smell will be hard to get rid of otherwise. :) Edited by vendetta_revived

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1323085145' post='531677']
I prefer only water in the base while smoking my hookah. I've tried some stuff, but after trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that for me, water gives the best results.

I guess I can somewhat explain why - Suppose you're about to eat a fresh apple. Do you wash it with water to get the fresh, crisp taste of the apple itself, or do you try to enhance the flavour by washing it with some apple juice?

That is however, only a personal preference of mine. By the way, whenever you use juice or any other liquids in the base, do remember to wash your hookah and base (preferably hose too, if it's washable) thoroughly immediately after the session. The smell will be hard to get rid of otherwise. :)
[/quote]

I can see your point. but then again, i wouldnt mix it with something of the same flavor, id use something else, to make a new combination of flavors altogether. i also love mixing different flavors of shisha.
my favorite so far is a mix of Fantasias Ace of Spades, mixed with their other flavor, Queen of hearts. I call it Royal Flush. pretty catchy eh? :)

and i ALWAYS wash my hookah after every session. theres only been once where i didnt wash it soon after smoking. and i give it a heavy cleaning every few weeks. i notice smells and flavors hold in the base pretty well, so i give it a billion rinses with hot water. (not soap or anything, as im sure that would taste TERRIBLE later) :)

To each their own haha. Use anything you like, except milk! :P

You can wash the base with some dish soap, just clean it with a base brush afterwards and a few times with water, and you may know this already, but if you don't, don't put cold water in your base immediately after washing it with cold water, as it can crack from the sudden change in temperature.

[quote name='¤Tyler¤' timestamp='1323087261' post='531679']

I can see your point. but then again, i wouldnt mix it with something of the same flavor, id use something else, to make a new combination of flavors altogether. i also love mixing different flavors of shisha.
my favorite so far is a mix of Fantasias Ace of Spades, mixed with their other flavor, Queen of hearts. I call it Royal Flush. pretty catchy eh? :)

and i ALWAYS wash my hookah after every session. theres only been once where i didnt
wash it soon after smoking. and i give it a heavy cleaning every few weeks. i notice smells and flavors hold in the base pretty well, so i give it a billion rinses with hot water. (not soap or anything, as im sure that would taste TERRIBLE later) :)
[/quote]

That's not a royal flush

• 1 month later...
I have tried Cold, pure water with ice cubes, Gin with water - which gives a pretty decent add to a buzz and milk in cold water and it does work well but however milk and water ruins your pipe/base/stem/hose since it can froth up and get everywhere if there is too much in the water. So if you attempt using our lactose filled friend, use a older hookah you wouldn't mind potentially ruining or a hose you can wash out.

Don't waste your vodka. What are you thinking?

Many moons ago I did fill a large wine decanter with cheap red wine and some fruit, topped it with a KM that actually fit, and Nak tropicana I think in the bowl - very festive sangria hookah for a summer party.

Left it unsupervised after smoking for a while, came back to find that someone had removed the KM and guests had consumed the wine. Ew.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Judy Oma' timestamp='1326650198' post='535660']
Don't waste your vodka. What are you thinking?

Many moons ago I did fill a large wine decanter with cheap red wine and some fruit, topped it with a KM that actually fit, and Nak tropicana I think in the bowl - very festive sangria hookah for a summer party.

Left it unsupervised after smoking for a while, came back to find that someone had removed the KM and guests had consumed the wine. Ew.
[/quote]

Mega Eww.

I've found that Hawaiian punch in the base works quite well with fruity flavors, and with mint flavors. It seems to make the smoke a bit thicker. I could be crazy though. Other than that, cold water is the way to go.

I did go to a lounge that offered fruit bases and bowls. I had a watermelon base filled with water and the watermelon juice accumulated from scraping out the actual fruit. Some grey goose was added to it. The head was a pineapple with a creamy pineapple flavored shisha. Best thing I've ever smoked. Shout out to Big Mike for the hookup. :D

But in general, I feel like if you find yourself constantly trying to find good additives to the base, you might wanna inspect the shisha you are using. If it isn't good enough for you, you should buy better stuff. But every once in a while it is fun to experiment. Edited by Willis

• 1 month later...
I can shed some light on this topic.... The lounge I go to makes the most amazing hookahs ever. One of my favorites is their Peppermint Paddy= Al Fakher Choc shisha, Rumplemintz in the base and hersheys chocolate syrup swizled around the base glass (not in the liquid). Some people have tried to argue that u cannot tase the alcohol. I can tell you for sure that I can taste mint while smoking the chocolate shisha + why would they waste alcohol which is expensive at a lounge?
An old friend showed me to add partial coconut milk with the water and ice. You should def not do that if you dont plan on thoroughly cleaning it afterwards however it adds a nice touch and makes the smoke thicker... We also tried orange peels once which I found to be oK but nothing exciting...but i really like the coconut milk. Please share if you have any other suggestions.

[quote name='Jamie Anable' timestamp='1330392424' post='540758']
I can shed some light on this topic.... The lounge I go to makes the most amazing hookahs ever. One of my favorites is their Peppermint Paddy= Al Fakher Choc shisha, Rumplemintz in the base and hersheys chocolate syrup swizled around the base glass (not in the liquid). Some people have tried to argue that u cannot tase the alcohol. I can tell you for sure that I can taste mint while smoking the chocolate shisha +[color=#ff0000][b] why would they waste alcohol which is expensive at a lounge?[/b][/color]
An old friend showed me to add partial coconut milk with the water and ice. You should def not do that if you dont plan on thoroughly cleaning it afterwards however it adds a nice touch and makes the smoke thicker... We also tried orange peels once which I found to be oK but nothing exciting...but i really like the coconut milk. Please share if you have any other suggestions.
[/quote]
[img]http://www.migunowners.org/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/img]
because people will pay for it

man i have put tons of stuff into the base for something speical, i've done eggnog as you all have seen i hope in the reviews, also soda, monster, rockstar, juice,milk, and icecream bar with milk, gatorade, so much more but never alcohol stupid idea just dumb bad bad bad

• 4 weeks later...
At the beach me and some friends put some leftover red martini into the vase. Didn't taste that bad but you're better of just drinking it :)
Just stick with cold water

• 2 weeks later...
You could say I am a purist. I just use water in the base. These are the reason I only use water
A. It is free.
B. It is easier to clean up.
C. It is pure and honest.
D. Did I mention it is free. Free free free free free free free free free free free free free free. LOL.

• 1 month later...
Reguardless of what you put into your hookah, you should clean it before and after each use to make SURE nothing grows in there. That being said, I've tried adding, milk and lemon juice (not together) to the water in the base. It didn't do jack, no matter how much I put in there. Lemonade, gatorade, 7up, orange soda, ginger ale, vodka, and cranberry juice are all things I've put in the base (also not all together) and I'll tell you that you should just stick to water. A good flavor of shisha and a cold base make for a better smoking experience than anything else.

• 1 month later...
I put ice into purified water, Kentucky water is notoriously hard, and I hate trying to clean the hard water deposits out of my base. That's all I do.

Osmotized water, sometimes cold and sometimes room temp.

Not that I am an expert at all but adding flavor to the hookah usually ruins the flavor of the shisha itself. About adding alcohol it depends on what is the purpose. If your purpose is to taste alcohol because you like it, go for it. But if the whole idea is to get a bigger buzz, just drink the alcohol and you will get a better "buzz" than smoking it.