Selling Hookahs/tobacco Online

I was just curious... I see a lot of small but successful hookah sites and was wondering what kind of licensing/permits you need to sell these kind of products online. If you're only selling the hookahs them self do you really need any kind of tobacco license?

Unless you sell tobacco you won't need a tobacco license. I wonder how successful a site would be without selling shisha. Although with accessories, coals and hookahs I am sure you could do well.

[quote name='joelhookah' timestamp='1320875835' post='530984']
Unless you sell tobacco you won't need a tobacco license.[u][b] I wonder how successful a site would be without selling shisha[/b][/u]. Although with accessories, coals and hookahs I am sure you could do well.
[/quote]

Honestly, I think that plan would be a disaster. Tobacco is the bread and butter of sales. Just selling hookahs and accessories would ensure an entire base of one-time shoppers.

Each state has different laws regarding tobacco sales. Some require a license for just about anything tobacco related, but most only require the license for the tobacco itself. Of course you'll also need a regular business license, sales tax permit, etc.