Back To Work: Why We Need Smart Government For A Strong Economy

Rani

I decided to start this in the serious discussion section because his book is about the economy, and a ton of ideas about our political process. Now, I'm not his biggest fan. God knows as a sitting President he made plenty of mistakes, although I'd say most of them were more Hiliiary's problem than ours, but still...... Anyway, I think he's got some pretty damn good ideas going in his book. Has anyone else read it? If not I recommend it and hope we'll continue a discussion about it.

'Rani

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1320876289' post='530986']
Who's book? Bill Clinton's? (You mentioned Hillary)

I think if it were legal, Bill Clinton would be re-elected.
[/quote]

Yep. In this political climate, there's a very real possibility he would be re-elected, but I don't think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. He has a tendency to be a little self-aggrandizing, but he's also very, very intelligent and I think hindsight gives us all a chance to have seen what works and what doesn't work. He has some absolutely marvelous ideas about things we could do that would put the country back on it's feet and he's pretty open about the fact that the Democratic Party leadership isn't doing their job. It's very interesting to hear the memoirs of one of the more successful president's we've had. Unfortunately, he's also very much removed from politics these days. In the early part of the book he talks about how involved he is in his foundation and helping the world become a better place. Reading his book, I now understand why Hillary says she's done with politics herself when this administration is over, which I think is a real shame because she's got the brass we really need in the White House. We were idiots not to elect her when we had the chance.

'Rani

The only way the economy is going to get better is:
1) reduce excessive/redundant regulation
2) quit making it easier to go someplace else than deal with the three-ring-BS-circus that is doing biz in the USA.
3) quit soaking small/medium biz to the point it's just not worth growing.

Anything else will not work.

The best idea to come out of bubba landed on a blue dress.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1320946452' post='531081']
The only way the economy is going to get better is:
1) reduce excessive/redundant regulation - [color=#ff0000]Yeah sure, let's go back to the good old days without worker's comp, wage standards, raping and pillaging natural resources at will and so on. You know, the good old days of the robber barons taking advantage of everyone and everything without any government protections.[/color]
2) quit making it easier to go someplace else than deal with the three-ring-BS-circus that is doing biz in the USA. -[color=#ff0000] In principle I agree, but the fact is like it or not, we're now a global economy, and the diminished capacity of 3rd world countries is a drain on our assets. We wouldn't have illegal aliens flocking across any border if they could make decent livings in their own countries.[/color]
3) quit soaking small/medium biz to the point it's just not worth growing. - [color=#ff0000]There we're in complete agreement. Small business has always been the backbone of the American economy and culture. The robber barons, you know, they guys you want to take all the regulations off, did everything they could to keep everything for themselves, because Wal-mart just doesn't like the corner store taking that 1% of their business.[/color]

Anything else will not work.

The best idea to come out of bubba landed on a blue dress. [color=#ff0000]You simply cannot argue with the fact that we were economically in better shape during his administration. Whether coincidence or not, that's the way it was. You might try reading the book first. I do believe that's what I started the entire thread about so get back to me after you've read it with as open a mind as you're capable of. Even that quarter centimeter would be something.[/color]
[/quote]

[color=#ff0000]'Rani[/color]

Conservatives only read books written by conservatives, Rani. You should know this. It's why the silly Sarah Palin and Bill O' Reilly books are sitting at my grandparents' house. *sigh*

I loved the Clinton years. I was merely a kid then, but I remember how great things were compared to now.