Alright so I met with the partner for the Hookah bar and Just had a few questions.

1) How many people would you guys say frequent a Hookah bar on a given day? Say poor day, average day, good day?

2) What products would you consider to cannibalize the sale of Hookah? Beer, Wine, Bar Food, ETC

3) What would you consider the best compliment products for a Hookah Bar to offer? Beer, Wine, Bar food, ETC

4) Obviously, atmosphere is important in a hookah bar. Is it alright to go away from the middle eastern theme maybe tropical?

5) What level of ventilation would you guys like to see in a hookah bar?

Thanks for any help in advanced and I look forward to some nice discussions :)

1) How many people would you guys say frequent a Hookah bar on a given day? Say poor day, average day, good day?
this all depends on your cost to stay a float, poor day say 10, avg 15-20, good day 25+

2) What products would you consider to cannibalize the sale of Hookah? Beer, Wine, Bar Food, ETC
just something to drink food is kinda lousy with hookah at the same time but depends on the person could be expensive and alcohol idk if you really want that with ur hookah people for puking and geting over drunk and knocking shit over

3) What would you consider the best compliment products for a Hookah Bar to offer? Beer, Wine, Bar food, ETC
soda/water/juice

4) Obviously, atmosphere is important in a hookah bar. Is it alright to go away from the middle eastern theme maybe tropical?
just home feeling and relax yet fun to go to and enjoy people company

as good as u cna get so it doens't get to filled and you cant breath, fans/windows/doors all on and open

1. Totally depends on your location and the atmosphere of the bar, quality of the smoke, too many variables.
2. Dinner food.
3. I think a hookah bar should have drinks, full bar is a definite plus. Appetizer type finger food another plus.
4. Absolutely, while middle eastern is the root of hookah, it is now a world wide thing, so a departure from the root is fine.
5. Ventilation should be high, but be cautious not to disturb coals. You want the air constantly replaced with fresh air.

1) On a slow day at some of the bars i've gone to during mid day there are like 2-3 tables with people at them, sometimes only one person. During the evening on a slow day, ive seen anywhere from packed to empty. On a busy evening (lets say Friday or Saturday) I have seen at some of the larger bars upwards of 70-100+ people in the hookah bar.

2) Alcohol, as it will cause drunken issues with customers, as well as limit you in terms of who can be in your hookah bar past a certain hour due to alcohol distribution laws.

3) I think water, teas, sodas, Turkish coffee are necessities. I also find food such as Gyros, Assorted Lamb Meals, French Fries, etc to be quite productive and enjoyable at a hookah bar. Make sure all the foods are prepped well, and of a decent portion size. Gelato is clutch during the summer with customers and have seen a local business make a killing off it as such.

4) As you said yourself, environment is everything to a hookah bar. You can break away from the typical norm of themes for hookah bars and go tropical if you'd like. A few notes on breaking away though.

Do not begin to think that for a second you are developing your hookah bar into a club (IE need to blare loud spanish, club, or rap music)..this will only attract the younger crowd who will frequent your bar once or twice, but unattract all of us old folks who actually came to smoke and frequent your bar consistently.

I typically find mid range lighting (not bright, not pitch black... just kind of dim) to be the most comfortable when smoking hookah. Tables need to be sturdy as I can likely rant for hours about how obnoxious it is to get a cheap worn down wobbly table, and comfortable seating (Possibly benches with nice cushions and chairs with nice cushions). I tend to enjoy televisions playing the wacky music video associated with the middle eastern song that is on, but that will be upto you.
Just make the atmosphere as comfortable as possible, and hire people who actually know how to wait on customers well (cheaping out on staff will loose you customers in the long run).

*And for god sakes if someone asks you if they can use the tongs, please let them use them for their session. I cannot stand when a waiter or waitress thinks that he or she knows more than me about hookah or that I am going to run off and steal the tongs from him/her. It is common courtesy to allow an avid hookah smoker to at least control their coal management if they want to.

5) Ventilation. Personally, I would love to go to a hookah bar where the door does not need to be opened to let the smoke out randomly. The ventilation should not draft the room or ruin clouds or O rings (IE NO FANS). Basically a ventilation system that will remove smoke from the air, but not extremely fast or abruptly. But will allow the hookah bar to have the old smoke to be clearing out.

*Fun fact, propping a door open during the winter to vent smoke will piss off your customers beyond belief :)

Theres a thread for this :
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/11575-so-you-want-to-start-a-hookah-lounge-updated/"]http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/11575-so-you-want-to-start-a-hookah-lounge-updated/[/url]
Read it all your questions have been asked before alot.
  • Upvote 1

Thank you all except S3cretz. Please do your own research prior to posting and looking pitifully moronic. Besides the fact that these are questions that have variable answers changing over time as certain things become popular and other things people lose interest in. If you did a search as I did then you would notice not only these questions not show up but if anything does it is unrelated to my question or IS my thread. Lastly, I have spent much time reading that thread. Please keep in mind bumping your post count to post things like that does not add value to a forum. Please use private message if your reply is off topic.

Back on topic, thank you so much to Pavo21, joelhookah, and A13lackFish.

I find your answers very valuable.

Mainly this is what I learned

[color="#ff0000"]With a quality atmosphere, good product, competitive prices, and knowledgeable and personable staff. My central downtown city located Hookah bar that offers other very popular relaxing products will keep enough customers in a given week on average to break even at worst given all else equal.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Restaurants fail as hookah bars, and beer is not the best possible beverage to offer as long as something better can be offered outside of soda and water.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Finger and easy to eat foods that can be ready quick, basically snacks and other foods that contribute to a relaxing atmosphere.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]It is alright to go out of the ordinary, just do a good job at it. Spend more on atmosphere than anywhere else because you want people to return.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]The best ventilation is to remove smoke as quickly as possible BUT without disturbing customers enjoying themselves by blowing smoke O's and other things. Remove the smoke once the customer is completely done with in in theory.[/color]

Am I on a good track so far? Also does anyone have an e-mail that I could send some more info too. Either someone that owns a hookah bar or someone extremely knowledgeable about the subject that would like a steep discount upon completion of my first location :)?

[quote name='Hakooh Bar' timestamp='1320190700' post='529841']
Thank you all except S3cretz. Please do your own research prior to posting and looking pitifully moronic. Besides the fact that these are questions that have variable answers changing over time as certain things become popular and other things people lose interest in. If you did a search as I did then you would notice not only these questions not show up but if anything does it is unrelated to my question or IS my thread. Lastly, I have spent much time reading that thread. Please keep in mind bumping your post count to post things like that does not add value to a forum. Please use private message if your reply is off topic.

[/quote]

chill out man. Secrets was trying to help you by offering a link to a thread devoted to questions just like yours.

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1320193240' post='529843']

[/quote]

chill out man. Secrets was trying to help you by offering a link to a thread devoted to questions just like yours.
[/quote]

This. You come in here throwing insults around when someone is trying to help you. This guy reminds me of someone who was recently booted..the way he is quick to insult, and is talking about opening a hookah bar in Virgina just like that member. If its determined you are not, my full apologizes. But no need at all to talk to other members and insult them in anyway with name calling or saying he is posting just to boost his count.

[quote name='Hakooh Bar' timestamp='1320190700' post='529841']4) Obviously, atmosphere is important in a hookah bar. Is it alright to go away from the middle eastern theme maybe tropical?
[color=#ff0000]It is alright to go out of the ordinary, just do a good job at it. Spend more on atmosphere than anywhere else because you want people to return.[/color]
[/quote]I would disagree with this. While atmosphere will draw me in, a lousy smoke will cut my night short and ensure I never return. Your product should be #1. You're establishing a hookah bar, not a sitting lounge.

and to piggyback on what mustang and floataround said, I'd avoid your establishment strictly due to your reply. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1320194109' post='529844']
[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1320193240' post='529843']

[/quote]

[/quote]

This. You come in here throwing insults around when someone is trying to help you. This guy reminds me of someone who was recently booted..the way he is quick to insult, and is talking about opening a hookah bar in Virgina just like that member. If its determined you are not, my full apologizes. But no need at all to talk to other members and insult them in anyway with name calling or saying he is posting just to boost his count.
[/quote]

I can assure you that would not be me as mine will not be started in Virginia :), also an admin can IP check me as it should show every time I post ( at least to root admins)

@Arcane, Yes I would definitely have good product but in the grand scheme of things so far ( from my research which is incomplete ) building the interior and having it designed they way I am imagining will have a higher price tag than buying some of the most popular and best Shisha. I would assume my state is incorrect though about atmosphere being number 1.

So easily product most important followed by atmosphere and knowledgeable staff followed by great prices?

As for the entire post I made earlier tonight, I just felt as though he was posting making assumptions that I did not do my research felt a bit offended. I am sorry for that. I will for future reference let everyone know though I have tried to do as much research as possible using the forums so far. Sorry if I did happen to miss something.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1320194860' post='529848']
Gee, glad *I* didnt post the the link to my thread.

I suggest, since he isnt going to actually appreciate advice, that we stop giving it.

Hakooh will be back in a few days to apologize to Secrets.
[/quote]
Awwwh you do love me :) <3

Just to prove a point and for future refrence.
Most of Theese are quotes out of the thread that "conatined nothing of value" according to this oke

1. Every about thrid post in the thread asks this question.

2 . [quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1315858903' post='523564']
Very interesting thread. I have NO desire to open a lounge - my mom had a couple gourmet food shops when I was in college so I know what it takes to get a retail business going.

A couple years ago PA got on the smoking ban bandwagon for bars and restaurants. There are 4 local bars who I kept an eye on during that battle. 1 is the one BF and I go to all the time, another is the "biker bar" across the street from it. The third and fourth are down the road in opposite directions from 1 and 2.

Bar 1: Owner blocked off the bar area from the restaurant area (it's a Rev. War era Inn so has lots of doors) with a separate entrance for the bar and restaurant (one of the stipulations in the ban). Nobody under 18 was allowed in the bar area. He actually has a good air management system too. However, his MAIN draw is the food - it's a most excellent german restaurant. And that's the stickler. If you want to be open on Sunday, you can't make most of your money from food (many restaurants are open on Sunday and closed on Monday). Now it's non-smoking, but he put in a beautiful beer garden and you can smoke and dine out there.

The other 3 bars are more "bar like" with pool, darts, etc and food is a adjunct to their alcohol. They also have signs that say nobody under 18 is permitted. Now, I've only been to the "biker bar" once (too loud for me), but bars 3 & 4 I'd been to as a kid (bar 4 has the most awesome chilli) so it was weird seeing the under 18 restriction on the door.

I am not sure how the rules fit for Hookah lounges. One is a middle-eastern restaurant and one was a straight-up hookah lounge. I heard rumors though that the lounge is no longer in business.
[/quote]

3. Mush mentions he does sandwiches and is even so nice as to give you a list of sandwiches and prices (if you want this go look for it in the proper thread)

4. Also asked alot and a no brainier. Does a Chinese resturant have to havea Chinese atmosphere? NO!

5. [quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1247849108' post='388623']
QUOTE (Aaronvb24 @ Jul 17 2009, 12:15 AM)
Mush I have two questions for you.

1. Do you have a ventilation system?
2. Do you need a tobacco license/permit?

1) Yes, i have a rather heavy air handler in the basement and a new AC unit outside that can't keep up on really warm days, but it does keep the smoke down. Other than that i have no special air scrubber or such.

2)yes, i have a NC permit to sell "tobacco, non-cigarette". costs me $15 bucks.
[/quote]

And Finally :

If you want to open up a Hookah lounge/bar/club or whatever

YOU need 3 things :

1. People skills
2. A love for hookah
3. Good buisness sence

If you want to start a it only make money you aren't going to succeed period.
But if you Do it with respect for you customers and Hookah you are doomed for success. Edited by S3cretz

[color=#ff0000]With a quality atmosphere, good product, competitive prices, and knowledgeable and personable staff. My central downtown city located Hookah bar that offers other very popular relaxing products will keep enough customers in a given week on average to break even at worst given all else equal.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Restaurants fail as hookah bars, and beer is not the best possible beverage to offer as long as something better can be offered outside of soda and water.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Finger and easy to eat foods that can be ready quick, basically snacks and other foods that contribute to a relaxing atmosphere.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]The best ventilation is to remove smoke as quickly as possible BUT without disturbing customers enjoying themselves by blowing smoke O's and other things. Remove the smoke once the customer is completely done with in in theory.[/color]

Am I on a good track so far? Also does anyone have an e-mail that I could send some more info too. Either someone that owns a hookah bar or someone extremely knowledgeable about the subject that would like a steep discount upon completion of my first location :)?
[/quote]

As far as I can tell from having owned a hookah lounge, every answer he has is either meaningless like #1 or just completely off base, like most of the rest.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1320232060' post='529904']

[color=#ff0000]With a quality atmosphere, good product, competitive prices, and knowledgeable and personable staff. My central downtown city located Hookah bar that offers other very popular relaxing products will keep enough customers in a given week on average to break even at worst given all else equal.[/color]

[/quote]

As far as I can tell from having owned a hookah lounge, every answer he has is either meaningless like #1 or just completely off base, like most of the rest.
[/quote]
Got the same feeling asif he was only looking to make money.
I could be wrong but hey he can always prove me wrong and open up an amazing place I ll be rooting for him.
And working for a lounge myself i can say the only real money it makes is in the drinks and hookah sales. Edited by S3cretz

um..guys...you open a business to MAKE MONEY. you try to figure out the most money you can make without running off your customers. Making money can be a great incentive to have good service and a nice place and all. Don't knock a guy for wanting to make money. Its people who get into hookah lounges because it "would be cool" with no idea how to make money to support themselves and the business that end up failing.

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1320227786' post='529903']
Most of Theese are quotes out of the thread that "conatined nothing of value" according to this oke

Very interesting thread. I have NO desire to open a lounge - my mom had a couple gourmet food shops when I was in college so I know what it takes to get a retail business going.

A couple years ago PA got on the smoking ban bandwagon for bars and restaurants. There are 4 local bars who I kept an eye on during that battle. 1 is the one BF and I go to all the time, another is the "biker bar" across the street from it. The third and fourth are down the road in opposite directions from 1 and 2.

Bar 1: Owner blocked off the bar area from the restaurant area (it's a Rev. War era Inn so has lots of doors) with a separate entrance for the bar and restaurant (one of the stipulations in the ban). Nobody under 18 was allowed in the bar area. He actually has a good air management system too. However, his MAIN draw is the food - it's a most excellent german restaurant. And that's the stickler. If you want to be open on Sunday, you can't make most of your money from food (many restaurants are open on Sunday and closed on Monday). Now it's non-smoking, but he put in a beautiful beer garden and you can smoke and dine out there.

The other 3 bars are more "bar like" with pool, darts, etc and food is a adjunct to their alcohol. They also have signs that say nobody under 18 is permitted. Now, I've only been to the "biker bar" once (too loud for me), but bars 3 & 4 I'd been to as a kid (bar 4 has the most awesome chilli) so it was weird seeing the under 18 restriction on the door.

I am not sure how the rules fit for Hookah lounges. One is a middle-eastern restaurant and one was a straight-up hookah lounge. I heard rumors though that the lounge is no longer in business.
[/quote]

3. Mush mentions he does sandwiches and is even so nice as to give you a list of sandwiches and prices (if you want this go look for it in the proper thread)

4. Also asked alot and a no brainier. Does a Chinese resturant have to havea Chinese atmosphere? NO!

1) Yes, i have a rather heavy air handler in the basement and a new AC unit outside that can't keep up on really warm days, but it does keep the smoke down. Other than that i have no special air scrubber or such.

[/quote]

And Finally :

YOU need 3 things :

1. People skills
2. A love for hookah
3. Good buisness sence

But if you Do it with respect for you customers and Hookah you are doomed for success.
[/quote]

Actually, i didnt do sandwiches, no room in the place i ended up getting, and I took down the spread sheets a while ago. ;)

But essentially the laws are different from state to state and soemtime county to county, so how the hell would we know what you need in a particular place?
how the heck do we know what your break even point is or how many customers you will get? we don't know anything about your location, socioeconomic area, size of your place, costs, etc. To ask these questions shows a lack of understanding of the general idea of what it is going to take to open a business.
My last piece of free advice. :)

for $50 an hour you can hire me and i can give you all sorts of answers, spread sheets, even a decent business plan, along with copies of all the federal, state, and local forms you'll need. let me know if you are interested.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1320237302' post='529914']
[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1320227786' post='529903']

[/quote]

[/quote]

And Finally :

YOU need 3 things :

1. People skills
2. A love for hookah
3. Good buisness sence

But if you Do it with respect for you customers and Hookah you are doomed for success.
[/quote]

Actually, i didnt do sandwiches, no room in the place i ended up getting, and I took down the spread sheets a while ago. ;)

But essentially the laws are different from state to state and soemtime county to county, so how the hell would we know what you need in a particular place?
how the heck do we know what your break even point is or how many customers you will get? we don't know anything about your location, socioeconomic area, size of your place, costs, etc. To ask these questions shows a lack of understanding of the general idea of what it is going to take to open a business.
My last piece of free advice. :)

for $50 an hour you can hire me and i can give you all sorts of answers, spread sheets, even a decent business plan, along with copies of all the federal, state, and local forms you'll need. let me know if you are interested.
[/quote]
So thats why I couldnt find them XD
Dont get me wrong I know you open a buisness to make money.
BUt you shouldn't do it ONLY to make money know what I mean? Edited by S3cretz

[quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1320240341' post='529929']
LOL I was a little surprised to me quoted above. I guess when you did boil it down, it was applicable to his "food and beverage" question.
[/quote]
It was Because it clarifies what was left after the smoke was gone (or should i say after the smoke cleared trollolol)

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1320237302' post='529914']
[/quote]
I might take you up on that once I have my student loans paid off and a little money to fall back on saved up

Well this is going to depend on your operating cost, initial buy in loan, and upkeep. So lets toss some numbers real quick. First you need location. Newport News, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach (lynnhaven area) all have a lounge/store. There are a couple restaurants that offer hookah but no selection when it comes to tobacco. So lets go with beach front on the strip. You open right at the beginning of tourist season. Rent is roughly 4k-5k. roughly $300 on electric, work yourself and partner to save on pay at first. You are going to be in the area of needing to make about 6k to break even with paying to loans, taxes, rent...etc. You figure you will sell a hookah at $15 a head, generally two coals. That is 400 hookahs in a month, Not hard to do during tourist season, but what happens after that. Do you have enough to sustain. You need to be in the bar area on the strip. Get people early before they are drunk. Honestly your location is going to make you or break you. The only other idea is to go upscale in town center and you can make a killing. But it will cost more.

You can't obtain a liquor license without maintaining a certain level of food sells. Also if you have food being sold in an establishment you need to have a separate smoking and non smoking section, completely separate with different ventilation systems and doors/wall. So right there you start to run into problems.

If you do happen to get it up and running I will be there some time shortly after you start and give you my honest opinion. Best of luck, last piece of advice find a different business to start.