Hiding Hookah Smell In Room?

I'm new to smoking hookah but enjoy it so far. I'm attending college but live with my parents. I have a room in the basement with the only window being in a window well.

I was thinking of closing the door, placing a damp towel up against the foot of the door, placing the hookah itself in the window well, and running 2 fans.

Would this block the smell and keep it from sticking to thinks? If not, how can my plan be improved? How badly does the smell of hookah stick to things?

Thanks for any help! :D

Hookah smoke doesn't stick to things. My dad gets home at 5:30pm on weekdays. I can have a session at noon with the back door open and there is no smell whatsoever. So with you running 2 fans. I don't see there being a smell.

1. Use natural coals. They don't stink up your room.

2. Leave an hour's time for the smell to dissipate. Spray air freshener if it's a brand/flavor that is really strong and leaves behind a smell for longer.

Hookah smoke doesn't to stick to anything. That's what's great about it. As long as you use natural coals, you have no worries really.

Another trick people have mentioned in previous threads on similar topics: buy a candle or air freshener of a similar scent of some of your favorite hookah flavors. If it still ends up smelling like the hookah, you have a pretty reasonable excuse for why it smells like strawberries/mango/mint/whatever in your room.

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1318184733' post='527208']
[u][b]let your parents know that you enjoy smoking hookah and ease them into accepting that its just part of your day.[/b][/u]
[/quote]

Permanent solution to your problem.

let your parents know that you enjoy smoking hookah and ease them into accepting that its just part of your day.
[/quote]

This, you're 18 I assume if you're in college, time to grow a pair and let your parents know you're an adult and can make adult decisions for yourself. Best of luck with that, my parents hated it when I started smoking but I didn't back down and never apologized and repeatedly asserted that it was my choice and my life and not theirs. They snapped out of it and finally over a few months realized that I was right and they didn't bother saying shit about it after that. Edited by littlec
  • Upvote 1

yeah.. the smell doesn't linger.. i leave all of my windows closed all day and my door shut and smoke in my small 10X13 foot room a few times a day. the smell will stay a few hours tops then it dissapates.

I agree with the telling you're parents about it though.. my mom hated when i started smoking hookah. eventually i just started smoking in my room (the rule had always been to do it outside). and she knew right away (didnt really try to hide it) and she just told me to be sure not to burn the carpet.. she now has gone to lounges with me and every once in a while will take a few puffs especially if i have a new exciting flavor.. :)

[quote name='littlec' timestamp='1318192669' post='527218']
let your parents know that you enjoy smoking hookah and ease them into accepting that its just part of your day.
[/quote]

This, you're 18 I assume if you're in college, time to grow a pair and let your parents know you're an adult and can make adult decisions for yourself. Best of luck with that, my parents hated it when I started smoking but I didn't back down and never apologized and repeatedly asserted that it was my choice and my life and not theirs. They snapped out of it and finally over a few months realized that I was right and they didn't bother saying shit about it after that.
[/quote]
agreed, if worse comes to worse they just tell you to take it outside. Which u can still smoke in the basement but run some fans and window open few hours before any1 is home

It IS their house, so it's only the adult thing to do to inform them and follow their rules on it.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1318341272' post='527353']
Do what I did... get your mom drunk and then let her pick what you are going to smoke. [u][b]Then she might end up smoking hookah for the first time on TC[/b][/u].
[/quote]

This is the stuff of Hookah Forum legend.

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1318214344' post='527237']
It IS their house, so it's only the adult thing to do to inform them and follow their rules on it.
[/quote]

This, and not to mention that they may and most likely are supporting him still in many ways. Not exactly wise to piss off those who help support you.

I will throw this out there... mostly because I want someone else to try these:

SCENTED QUICKLIGHTS!!!!!
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-9766-golden-river-hookah-charcoal-1-box-33mm.html

I am not sure if I am saddened or brought to hilarity on this one!

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1318369008' post='527414']

SCENTED QUICKLIGHTS!!!!!
[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-9766-golden-river-hookah-charcoal-1-box-33mm.html"]http://www.hookah-sh...1-box-33mm.html[/url]

[/quote]

Genius? Or madness?

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1318369240' post='527417']
[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1318369008' post='527414']

SCENTED QUICKLIGHTS!!!!!
[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-9766-golden-river-hookah-charcoal-1-box-33mm.html"]http://www.hookah-sh...1-box-33mm.html[/url]

[/quote]

Genius? Or madness?
[/quote]

I know, right?!?!

I wouldn't recommend natural lights because you will be dragging the smell through your house unless you get a burner for your room. With natural lights, light the coals by the window so that the nasty smoke goes outdoors rather than in. Other than that, invest in a candle (for looks) so that after you smoke your shisha, you can pass any left over scent off as the candle.

Fans are a plus to pull air out of the window, and overall hookah smoke does not stick to things.

fans mess up the experience for me, I enjoy looking at the smoke as it lingers for a little while! The 100% best option is to get people to accept your habit and maybe even join in sometime :)

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1318451878' post='527536']
fans mess up the experience for me, I enjoy looking at the smoke as it lingers for a little while! The 100% best option is to get people to accept your habit and maybe even join in sometime :)
[/quote]

I meant the fan blowing out of the window. Unless you live in a room the size of a small sized box, it wont pull your smoke, rings, or clouds.

worst comes to worst, find a nice outdoor chair and a cozy spot and smoke outside. thats what i do at my moms house. another benefit of outdoor smoking is, it might be hard to explain coal burns on any rugs or carpeting in your room. accidents do tend to happen.

Those accidents do happen, no matter how careful you are... especially when you have a freakin' cat in your apartment. Needless to say, I don't let her curl up around the vase and watch the bubbles anymore...

I live in a small one-bedroom apartment and my rings suck when the A/C is on across the room. Basically there has to be no current of air in the room in which I am smoking if I want to do any sort of smoke tricks. It's especially bad when a fan is on as well that I use to blow the cold air from the A/C into my bedroom since there's no A/C in there. So no matter which way the fan is facing, away from you or toward you, it's going to screw with your smoke and not allow you to fully enjoy seeing the big clouds nor allow you to do any cool tricks, if that's your thing.