Mormons?

Well, whatever they believe...

at least I'm not seeing Romney (personally I think he's a twit) doing a tire-iron driveby on perry's minister-buddy. More that I can say about some people these days.... http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20111008/WDH0101/110080440/Wausau-man-injured-tire-iron-attack
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1328988508' post='538716']
Generally speaking members of the LDS church do not (the majority), it is really only practiced in the fundamentalist church.
[/quote]

Yep, watch an episode of Sister Wives and they make this extremely clear. :lol:

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1328998375' post='538736']
Generally speaking members of the LDS church do not (the majority), it is really only practiced in the fundamentalist church.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't immangine trying to put up with all that estrogen. Good grief, may be enough to turn a straight guy gay.

For the record:

1) There's no such thing as the "average" woman. We are each unique and have a wide range of strengths and attributes. We do not, however, have any weaknesses. Those are already taken by men.
2) Considering the state of most men today, it could be considered advantageous in the extreme to only have to deal with one of you every few days instead of every single goddamned night.
3) As we continue to over-populate the world, expanding "villages" into each other, menstrual sync is going to spread across the globe. At which time you men are in traaa-ble.
4) Unless you're gay, or in love with your right hand, I suggest you remember who has half the money and all the pussy. So, bow down, motherfuckers, bow down!
and........
5) Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer. :yahoo:

'Ranmi

[quote name='mavsfan31' timestamp='1318120496' post='527150']
I don't really agree with Mormonism, but I know a lot who are Mormons.

Keep reading about them though, you'll find lots more interesting things...
[/quote]
[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1318267490' post='527292']
[quote name='ezxen' timestamp='1318267273' post='527290']
[quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1318266350' post='527287']
At what point does it go from "cult" to "not cult"???? We were talking about this last night and (one of the very few things I'll agree with TheScotsman) aren't religions a cult anyway??? Find yourself a charasmatic leader, have him/her spout some ideas that touch the hearts of the people, gather up some followers, and PRESTO you have a cult/religion. To the people it touches, it's a religion. To the people it annoys, it's a cult.

IMO I don't care what, if any, religion you follow. If it brings you peace, then I am happy for you. If it brings you sorrow, then I am sad for you.
[/quote]
Agreed .
But a cult is what the big church calls the little church unless its scientology because golden disk and jesus in america is way more sane idea than Spirits of brain washed aliens were tossed in the Volcano's of Hawaii by Xenu
[/quote]

That is a perfect summary.
+1

cut, print, wrap... perfect ending.
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with these points. However I have to say that I feel sort of bad for those who are Mormons, they seem to get the butt end of the stick when it comes to how society views their religion and religious practices when there are other mainstream religions who are just as "cultish" or strange - that people tend to deny being as such

• 3 weeks later...
The only thing that bothers me about Mormonism is their fascination with Utah, my state. I realize they migrated here, or something, but its gotten to the point where whenever I mention I'm from Utah, I'm instantly labeled a Mormon. Then when I mention I'm Atheist, I'm usually given the typical 'you must convert' speech. Edited by Quizit

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1318274072' post='527301']
The Wizard's First Rule is: People are stupid. Give them a reason to believe something, no matter how outlandish and they'll believe it. I'd say that goes for pretty much all religions. Faith is a completely different animal.
[/quote]

How so? The whole idea behind faith is that it's belief that isn't based on evidence. Sounds exactly what you're describing. Religions are just large, codified things to have faith in. Faith itself is the central issue.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1329533752' post='539381']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1328998375' post='538736']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't immangine trying to put up with all that estrogen. Good grief, may be enough to turn a straight guy gay.
[/quote]

It's a miracle all this misogyny isn't enough to turn all the straight women gay.

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331696129' post='542449']
The Wizard's First Rule is: People are stupid. Give them a reason to believe something, no matter how outlandish and they'll believe it. I'd say that goes for pretty much all religions. Faith is a completely different animal.
[/quote]

How so? The whole idea behind faith is that it's belief that isn't based on evidence. Sounds exactly what you're describing. Religions are just large, codified things to have faith in. Faith itself is the central issue.
[/quote]

Interesting argument, however, IMHO religion is based on dogma as adopted by a particular group of individuals, where as faith as it's used in the spiritual sense is more about perceived personification rather than a specific dogma of rules and regulations.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1331749288' post='542527']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting argument, however, IMHO religion is based on dogma as adopted by a particular group of individuals, where as faith as it's used in the spiritual sense is more about perceived personification rather than a specific dogma of rules and regulations.

'Rani
[/quote]

I think that the real difference is only scale. Rituals are used to help unify a group of people with similar who used to share the same region and now who share the same ideals. Regardless I think if you ask most people who prescribe to a major religion their faith is more important and fundamental than any of the rituals themselves.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1331760196' post='542556']
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

I think that the real difference is only scale. Rituals are used to help unify a group of people with similar who used to share the same region and now who share the same ideals. Regardless I think if you ask most people who prescribe to a major religion their faith is more important and fundamental than any of the rituals themselves.
[/quote]

I agree to a point and it may only be a matter of perspective. Ritual doesn't equate to dogma in my mind and maybe that's my perception. Dogma generally is sort of the accepted basis (or "ground rules") of any particular religion. Ritual on the other hand is action or demonstration in deference to the dogma. The "certainty" of Christ rising from the grave would be dogma, the celebration of Easter would be ritual.

I do think that having given up too many of our rituals which satisfy the human desire for contact with a Universal Source may be in part what is driving so many people to the extremity of some religions. There was a time when science ruled all to the exclusion of ritual and communion with any kind of Source, and I think religious extremes may be a direct result of that.

'Rani

[/quote]

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

But what reason is there to buy into one over the other? Neither has anything to do with the likelihood of whether it's true. It seems like you're in favor of choosing "faith" over "religion" because of your personal morality. But not everyone shares your personal morality.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1331762263' post='542561']
I do think that having given up too many of our rituals which satisfy the human desire for contact with a Universal Source may be in part what is driving so many people to the extremity of some religions. There was a time when science ruled all to the exclusion of ritual and communion with any kind of Source, and I think religious extremes may be a direct result of that.
'Rani
[/quote]

I don't agree. First, I have no idea what you're talking about re: "a time when science ruled all." Maybe in Scandinavia. Not in the US. Second, it's possible that modern religious extremism's vocality is a response to the emergence of more and better scientific exploration, but that doesn't mean the extremism wasn't there before. It just means it had nothing to react to.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331766072' post='542569']
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

But what reason is there to buy into one over the other? Neither has anything to do with the likelihood of whether it's true. It seems like you're in favor of choosing "faith" over "religion" because of your personal morality. But not everyone shares your personal morality.
[/quote]

This is true, and I don't expect everyone to share my personal morality. But to me it is my truth which I choose specifically not to impose on others who, I think, must find their own if it is to be valid. When I meditate, I literally step into the light of God. I see it, feel it, taste it, become part of it. But there's no way I can "prove" that to anyone else. To me that communion or connection is the essence of faith. Dogma on the other hand comes back to rules and assumed beliefs generally as given to you by an organization. That doesn't mean that I think no one should ever choose dogma. Although as a student of spirituality and history in general, it's seems clear to me that more inhumanity has been done in service to dogma than from all other causes combined. However, and here's the big however.....

It's never what you hear, or the information you're given, it's what you do with it. If the dogma of the Catholic Church for example gives you something that brings you peace, makes you a better person, satisfies whatever need within you, then who am I to say it's wrong? Because while it may be wrong for me, it's perfectly right for you. What I find critical to following the path of any organized religion is that we weigh it's actions against what we feel is true and just. For me, what it boils down to is that it's all about Darkness and the Light. Everything else is just window dressing, Actions performed in the name of good that are harmful and damaging still serve the Dark anyway you look at it. When it comes down to dogma as the root of terrorism or excuse to spread hatred, division, and disenfranchisement of others, then they can call the name of God all they want, but they are most definitely working for the other side. And vice versa.

And when it comes to Jesus..... I have a feeling a whole lot of people are going to have a whole lot of explaining to do about what they did in his name......

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1331825933' post='542663']
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is true, and I don't expect everyone to share my personal morality. But to me it is my truth which I choose specifically not to impose on others who, I think, must find their own if it is to be valid. When I meditate, I literally step into the light of God. I see it, feel it, taste it, become part of it. But there's no way I can "prove" that to anyone else. To me that communion or connection is the essence of faith. Dogma on the other hand comes back to rules and assumed beliefs generally as given to you by an organization. That doesn't mean that I think no one should ever choose dogma. Although as a student of spirituality and history in general, it's seems clear to me that more inhumanity has been done in service to dogma than from all other causes combined. However, and here's the big however.....

It's never what you hear, or the information you're given, it's what you do with it. If the dogma of the Catholic Church for example gives you something that brings you peace, makes you a better person, satisfies whatever need within you, then who am I to say it's wrong? Because while it may be wrong for me, it's perfectly right for you. What I find critical to following the path of any organized religion is that we weigh it's actions against what we feel is true and just. For me, what it boils down to is that it's all about Darkness and the Light. Everything else is just window dressing, Actions performed in the name of good that are harmful and damaging still serve the Dark anyway you look at it. When it comes down to dogma as the root of terrorism or excuse to spread hatred, division, and disenfranchisement of others, then they can call the name of God all they want, but they are most definitely working for the other side. And vice versa.

And when it comes to Jesus..... I have a feeling a whole lot of people are going to have a whole lot of explaining to do about what they did in his name......

'Rani
[/quote]

Okay, you said at first you didn't expect people to adhere to your personal morality. That doesn't seem consistent with the rest of your post. Who's to say that other people value peace the same way you do? And who's to say what makes someone a "better person"? And all that stuff about the dark and the light, and "explaining" to Jesus? That seems again like imposing your personal morality on others. Who are you to say that people doing things you dislike in the name of Jesus aren't serving Christianity?
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331847496' post='542692']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1331825933' post='542663']
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

Okay, you said at first you didn't expect people to adhere to your personal morality. That doesn't seem consistent with the rest of your post. Who's to say that other people value peace the same way you do? And who's to say what makes someone a "better person"? And all that stuff about the dark and the light, and "explaining" to Jesus? That seems again like imposing your personal morality on others. Who are you to say that people doing things you dislike in the name of Jesus aren't serving Christianity?
[/quote]

I have explained my personal beliefs. I have shared them but in no way imposed them on anyone. Imposing according to the dictionary would imply I expect others to conform to my beliefs and I absolutely do not. I never once said that they need to value the same things I do. Peace, better person, etc. are simply examples of potentials and certainly subject to the "eye of the beholder". What part of "I have a feeling...." doesn't make sense to you? I never once said they WILL have some explaining to do, did I?

'Rani