Tyler's Weight Loss Journal

Tyler

So it has been a long time coming and I've been doing what I could as far as eating better and what little workouts I could handle with my back. Now that I've had my back surgery and have been medically cleared to workout again, for the first time in 3.5 years, I'm kicking it into hardcore weight loss mode. Met with my physical therapist who gave me a two week program to see where I am at then after that will work with me and my friend who is a sports science major and will be working out with me 4-6 times a week. My goal is to get down to a size 38 pants, currently wearing a 46. It is going to be a long and hard road but I think I have the right support system in place and some good friends behind me. I'm just curious, I've been told not to focus too much on the number on the scale but rather the inches and stuff, but not to totally ignore the scale. How often do you think I should check my weight? Every 3-4 days? Once a week? Also, how often do you think I should take measurements? Every other week? Every week? Either way, I'll be using this thread every few days to update my status for those who care, also if anyone on here wants to join me in a journey it would be nice to have the company in suffering! Debating if I want to upload before pictures now as I am really embaressed but I think it would be good motivation to see myself like this lol. But for now I'm off to do some lap swimming (did a full body circut yesterday) so I'll weigh myself and post the # when I get back with a small detailed list of my plan for week 1.

Keep in mind as you work out you'll build some muscle, which is one of the densest and therefore heaviest body tissues, so overall weight isn't a watertight indicator. As for measurements, etc - you'll know when your clothes feel looser.

im with ya, im working out and eating well so i can lose weight. i want to get down to a size 32 or 34 again. i'll support ya whenever i get the chance to!

Scale - once a week at most. There are some who check it every day, but you're going fluctuate especially if you're building muscle. You're going to loose a lot in the first week or so, then it will taper off and go up some weeks and down some weeks.

Measurements - have someone else do these for you. I'd say weekly or bi-weekly. But as was mentioned, your clothing will be a good indicator.

Going on day 4, eating oatmeal and trying to drink 5 glasses of water before the gym (harder than it sounds!) First day I did strength training to gauge where I am starting from, then Saturday and Sunday I did lap swimming to give my muscles a small break so that I'd be ready to go full power today with my friend again.I know I havent lost anything in 4 days but I feel a lot better already and the pain is a good pain for once. I should have some solid numbers to put up on Wednesday.

Don't get on that scale for a month or more to begin, I'm telling you. The odds of it not being what you want it to be or think it should be are just too high, and could potentially cause too much harm!

Take it from someone who last 50 lbs without getting on the scale until he realized people weren't kidding when they said I needed a belt to hold up my pants.

Think about the other goals: what you are gonna lift, how much you are gonna walk or run or swim. Think about the positive gains, let the negative gains (the weight loss, inches loss, etc) worry about themselves. [b]You will know when its time.[/b]

well I got my initial start weight which I'll hold off on sharing for about a month, also got my measurements and some before pictures. Things have been going well so far, some usual pain with working out but nothing too bad other than the first day in which I thought my arms and legs were going to just fall off. I'm starting to up my weight already and adding either another set or more reps, also trying to think of new things to do to target muscle groups. Right now my general cycle is:

Cardio - 10 min
Bench Press - 3 sets of 10
Squat - 3 sets of 10
Curls - 3 sets of 10
Dumbbell Lunges - 2 sets of 20
Leg press - 3 sets of 15/10/5 going up in weight each time
Leg Extension - 3 sets of 10
Calf Raises - 4 sets of 15
Tricep Pulldowns - 3 sets of 10 1 set of 20 on half weight at the end
Plyometric crunches - 5 sets of 15 (crunch up and do a 1-2 punch to partner's hands, usually held about 5-6 inches above where your arm ends when you hold them straight up, actually kind of fun minus the pain)
Cardio again - 20 min

That's my usual workout unless I'm doing lap swimming in which case I'll do 10 laps freestyle, 10 laps backstroke, 10 laps freestyle, 5 lunge walks, 5 kick only, 10 laps free style, 10 laps in whatever I can actually muster the strength to do.

Just trying to stick with it and eating a little healthier. I've been cutting back on a lot of things as well as eating smaller portions more often but nothing too crazy until I get the gym thing in a good routine. Thanks for the advice and support thus far. My goal is to be able to wear a loose 38 pants/shorts and XXL shirts (XL arent long enough even if I were skinny lol) unless I can find XLTs. Don't really have a goal weight in mind, according to the air force recruiter I should aim for about 240, not looking to join the air force but they have a pretty good standard as far as weight and body type. I think if I can hit 260 I'd be happy.

Anyways, off to the gym again, I think today my friend is going to introduce me to something he likes to call "burnouts" on bench, not too excited about that...

I can't offer advice; I'm sure the people you are working with are more knowledgeable than I am.

But I can offer encouragement. Good luck, man. Stay focused in your goals.

Have fun with those burnouts, I hope your friend is a good motivator. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well as of today I've lost 18 pounds and had to take 5 inches off my belt for it to do anything. To be fair my belt and pants were already a bit loose and big but still now I HAVE to wear a belt or walk around holding my pants up all the time lol

I've recieved a few comments from friends so far so it is feeling good.

BTW:

Starting weight was 360 +/- 10 (stupid sliding scales)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm down 35 pounds since my last weigh in. I think it was sometime around march that I last checked in at 250 clothed. I weighed myself recently (with the same scale, so no need for calibration) at around 215 clothed, under 210 stripped.

To what I attribute this success? I don't know. I think the change of location has led to an ironically less sedentary lifestyle. Ironic because the displacement of things in this city compared to where I used to live.

I'm below a 36 waist and 3 notches tighter on my belt, my 38 pants fall off. I am hardpressed to accept complements from people, though I've been told 3 times now that I've lost a lot of weight. I need to get back into exercise that's not walking if I want to keep it up.

Weight today: 330. That is officially 34 pounds below my initial weigh in of 364. Thanks for the encouragement guys. I want to try for 16 more before Christmas but it is going to be hard with Thanksgiving and Christmas season in full swing now. I've actually been eating rather normally just in smaller portions and not getting cheese fries in lieu of normal fries and eating less bleu cheese on wings and more ranch (you'd be suprised how much more calories BC has versus ranch.) I havent had a single non-diet or coke zero pop in 2 months and that has helped a lot I'm sure. My bench has gone up 45 pounds in 2 months but that is probably attributed to my muscle from before my back injury and just getting back to where I was before hand. Tomorrow I start a new workout routine based on the football workout of Thomas More's football team (annual DIII title contenders) so it should be getting fun here soon. Thanks again for the encouragement.

it's soda, not pop

but seriously, good shit man. i've lost around 8 pounds and still going since we last talked about it. keep up the hard work!

• 2 months later...
Don't check your weight more than once a week since you will see fluctuations with how hydrated you are and how much muscle you gain. Try to take you weight at scheduled times, such as every saturday at 8 am, after you've gone to the bathroom and before you eat. This will help reduce variables that may cause it to look like you haven't lost much weight when you really have.

• 2 weeks later...
lost six pounds since the semester started on almost pure diet, alone. once i start adding in exercise again, i hope to lose more

I've hit the 310 mark. Have to put a slowdown in my workout plan because of the move an starting a new job and money ect. But eating better and doing what I can with basic workouts. Officially no longer can wear a 44, too big. 42s are fitting perfectly.

• 1 month later...
As of today actually I am under 300 for the first time in about 5 years. WOO

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1331361065' post='542017']
As of today actually I am under 300 for the first time in about 5 years. WOO
[/quote]I here when you lose alot of weight, you tend to pass gas. True or false?

False for me, I do take massive shits more often though haha I think thats where all the weight goes :P

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1331666059' post='542398']
False for me, I do take massive shits more often though haha I think thats where all the weight goes :P
[/quote]Okay that works too. :D
Im going back to the gym as soon as my body throws away this cold.