More Change ? Or Is This The Hope Part?

TheScotsman

So we have a president who invested 90K of his own personal money in a little known startup company, then somehow the SEC speeds through document processing (waiver) and several SEC people have stated they have never seen anything move that fast "unless someones wheels were getting greased"

Now, whit what I have seen in available documents, and what I know from first hand engineering experience with MILSAT Gps (called M-code) signal. For gawd sakes, they are within 125khz of M-code, and operating at a signal level of 44 effective radiated watts, Gps is 5 radiated effective. No matter how narrow the band, that is going to interfere... period. Even debating that fact would show a complete lack of understanding of radio wave propagation.

Now we have a General stating the white house told him to lie about the possibility of interference. Val Jarred admits the General was "briefed" in the same manner as any other person testifying before Congress. (effectively admitting they both brief any testimony before congress, and that they were talking to this General) That alone, would seem to become a problem for any other person who had personal $$ invested in any company.

Lightsquared has roundabout admitted they had an interference problem, by stating they have "taken steps to fix" interference with Milsat, and FAA signals.

So, I am expecting this might be more of that "hope and change" that the unenlightened masses decided they needed? Or is this the most transparent administration ever? Gotta be one of those or else maybe we can call it what it is... the most corrupt administration since Jefferson. How can people still support this guy? Or are they so set on appearing politically correct they close their eyes to this corruption? Where is the independent prosecutor?

i think, mike, he is kinda like rani in a sense (in the area of posts, maybe not in political opinions lol). they mostly come here to talk politics, because that is what they are really interested in, as well as a few others.

it's kinda like i dont post very often except in certain threads to be funny

Lol Mike, you're just now realizing this? The man likes his political talk...

As for your thread, Scotsman, I don't understand much of it to be honest with you. :unknown:

EDIT: Wait, just saw your Solyndra thread... Is this somehow tied in with that? Or something totally different?

You Americans have it so good. Take a quick look at South-African politics and headlines for the past two months. A President who skims allitle off the top is ok but a president who turns a democracy into an autocracy that is something to complain about.

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1316627245' post='524725']
[u][b]You Americans have it so good[/b][/u]. Take a quick look at South-African politics and headlines for the past two months. [u][b]A President who skims allitle off the top is ok[/b][/u] but a president who [u][b]turns a democracy into an autocracy that is something to complain about.[/b][/u]
[/quote]

I'm gonna take this point by point.

1. You're right, we do have it good. And I take full advantage of my rights to speak out because not all people have that.
2. Skimming off the top is NOT okay, regardless of bad other situations are. Still needs to be spoken against.
3. I dare say that becoming an autocracy is worth more than a complaint.

Just my views on it, Secretz. :drinks:

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1316631351' post='524731']
[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1316627245' post='524725']
[u][b]You Americans have it so good[/b][/u]. Take a quick look at South-African politics and headlines for the past two months. [u][b]A President who skims allitle off the top is ok[/b][/u] but a president who [u][b]turns a democracy into an autocracy that is something to complain about.[/b][/u]
[/quote]

I'm gonna take this point by point.

1. You're right, we do have it good. And I take full advantage of my rights to speak out because not all people have that.
2. Skimming off the top is NOT okay, regardless of bad other situations are. Still needs to be spoken against.
3. I dare say that becoming an autocracy is worth more than a complaint.

Just my views on it, Secretz. :drinks:
[/quote]
I get that I honestly do its just.

1. You really dont know how good you have it till youv'e lived in another country. And yes I lived in america for a year so I know what its like definitely not enough time to be a "real" American but I put my toes in the water.
2. Every Job has its privalages.
3. Maby some kind of world super power with a name that starts with A could do something. Oh wait no they are more bothered by their president putting money back into the economy than a country thats on genocide watch level 6 and were not the only ones.
  • Upvote 1

Rep for your post, man.

In response to 3: it will be difficult to find the support of the majority of Americans in that regard. People are far more interested in their personal affairs than those of people across the ocean, living in a nation and culture they're entirely ignorant of. It's not right, and it's not good, but that's the way it seems to be.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1316634659' post='524738']
Rep for your post, man.

In response to 3: it will be difficult to find the support of the majority of Americans in that regard. People are far more interested in their personal affairs than those of people across the ocean, living in a nation and culture they're entirely ignorant of. It's not right, and it's not good, but that's the way it seems to be.
[/quote]

Block! Counter rep!
Dont you just love political debates XD

I believe when in a position to help our fellow man, we should. But remember the speech on every airplane? Put the oxygen mask on [u]yourself[/u] first otherwise you're just going to pass out and help absolutely nobody. America needs to get it's crap together before venturing out "assisting" the rest of the world, especially since most of them don't want us helping in the first place. Something about our being arrogant and a relatively recent history of little things like Nagasaki, Hiroshima, and even interment camps on our own soil. Just because we conveniently forget these little "ooop!" moments doesn't mean the rest of the world has. Our government is an unbelievable disaster all around. Nobody can get their head out of their ass to see the damage they're doing. I'm not quite cynical enough to believe they know and are doing it anyway. They actually are so contaminated by their own sense of power and entitlement, they think they're doing what's right. I mean those $16 a piece muffins they've been serving up in DC are a prime example if you watched the news today. "We deserve muffins! We like the ones made of gold with white truffle!" Idiots.

As far as Barack Obama is concerned, we really need the change he stood for. He's just such a sap. I swear the man has "sucker" tatooed on his forehead. He's not bad, he really wants to do good things, but he doesn't have the stones for it. The day after he was sworn in, he could have walked through Congress with a scythe and cut them all off at the knees with the American public cheering we were so disillusioned. Instead he tried the gentlemen's negotiations while keeping a good face on it all. Hey, Barack! They hated a black man in the White House, and that's just the way it is. Do you really think they were ever going to give you anything? Come on...... I can totally see him getting sold a London Bridge in his backing all kinds of things he shouldn't have. Faith and hope are very good things. So is sleeping with one eye open. Because it's not paranoid if they really are out to grind your ass. Or did he forget that in all the "rising above" crap? The man needs to be a lot less Harvard and a little more ghetto. Then maybe we'd actually get something done.

'Rani
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1316636823' post='524742']
I believe when in a position to help our fellow man, we should. But remember the speech on every airplane? Put the oxygen mask on [u]yourself[/u] first otherwise you're just going to pass out and help absolutely nobody. America needs to get it's crap together before venturing out "assisting" the rest of the world, especially since most of them don't want us helping in the first place. Something about our being arrogant and a relatively recent history of little things like Nagasaki, Hiroshima, and even interment camps on our own soil. Just because we conveniently forget these little "ooop!" moments doesn't mean the rest of the world has. Our government is an unbelievable disaster all around. Nobody can get their head out of their ass to see the damage they're doing. I'm not quite cynical enough to believe they know and are doing it anyway. They actually are so contaminated by their own sense of power and entitlement, they think they're doing what's right. I mean those $16 a piece muffins they've been serving up in DC are a prime example if you watched the news today. "We deserve muffins! We like the ones made of gold with white truffle!" Idiots.

As far as Barack Obama is concerned, we really need the change he stood for. He's just such a sap. I swear the man has "sucker" tatooed on his forehead. He's not bad, he really wants to do good things, but he doesn't have the stones for it. The day after he was sworn in, he could have walked through Congress with a scythe and cut them all off at the knees with the American public cheering we were so disillusioned. Instead he tried the gentlemen's negotiations while keeping a good face on it all. Hey, Barack! They hated a black man in the White House, and that's just the way it is. Do you really think they were ever going to give you anything? Come on...... I can totally see him getting sold a London Bridge in his backing all kinds of things he shouldn't have. Faith and hope are very good things. So is sleeping with one eye open. Because it's not paranoid if they really are out to grind your ass. Or did he forget that in all the "rising above" crap? The man needs to be a lot less Harvard and a little more ghetto. Then maybe we'd actually get something done.

'Rani
[/quote]
That just augments my theory of presidents just being scapegoats for congress.

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1316637772' post='524743']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1316636823' post='524742']

'Rani
[/quote]
That just augments my theory of presidents just being scapegoats for congress.
[/quote]

I wouldn't even say scapegoats. Remember almost all Presidents come from Congress. Usually the Senate if memory serves me correctly. Congress is the evil in this scenario, they always have been. I mean really, the President is one man. One. Up against at last count 535 Congressional electorate. How much do you think anyone can get done with those odds? Now add in the power of the lobbyists. Yeah, any president is going to be effective with those odds, aren't they? If any President seems to accomplish a lot, it's only because they let him. Bush always had that "deer in the headlights" look for a reason.

'Rani

I have been staying away from all this political stuff because I am fed up and plus all the fear generated by these politicians overflows into my peace of mind, shisha smoking and other such pleasures

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1316482259' post='524445']
So we have a president who invested 90K of his own personal money in a little known startup company, then somehow the SEC speeds through document processing (waiver) and several SEC people have stated they have never seen anything move that fast "unless someones wheels were getting greased"

Now, whit what I have seen in available documents, and what I know from first hand engineering experience with MILSAT Gps (called M-code) signal. For gawd sakes, they are within 125khz of M-code, and operating at a signal level of 44 effective radiated watts, Gps is 5 radiated effective. No matter how narrow the band, that is going to interfere... period. Even debating that fact would show a complete lack of understanding of radio wave propagation.

Now we have a General stating the white house told him to lie about the possibility of interference. Val Jarred admits the General was "briefed" in the same manner as any other person testifying before Congress. (effectively admitting they both brief any testimony before congress, and that they were talking to this General) That alone, would seem to become a problem for any other person who had personal $$ invested in any company.

Lightsquared has roundabout admitted they had an interference problem, by stating they have "taken steps to fix" interference with Milsat, and FAA signals.

So, I am expecting this might be more of that "hope and change" that the unenlightened masses decided they needed? Or is this the most transparent administration ever? Gotta be one of those or else maybe we can call it what it is... the most corrupt administration since Jefferson. How can people still support this guy? Or are they so set on appearing politically correct they close their eyes to this corruption? Where is the independent prosecutor?
[/quote]

Co-sign. Obama is the worst thing that has happened to this country in ages. Pray he doesn't get a second crack at it.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1316641081' post='524747']
I wouldn't even say scapegoats. Remember almost all Presidents come from Congress. Usually the Senate if memory serves me correctly. Congress is the evil in this scenario, they always have been. I mean really, the President is one man. One. Up against at last count 535 Congressional electorate. How much do you think anyone can get done with those odds? Now add in the power of the lobbyists. Yeah, any president is going to be effective with those odds, aren't they? If any President seems to accomplish a lot, it's only because they let him. Bush always had that "deer in the headlights" look for a reason.

'Rani
[/quote]

I think you're about right regarding presidents' prior elected office - although, as I recall, more among them were governors immediately before being elected president. That changes, however, if we combine immediately prior service in the House or the Senate, in which case immediately prior congressional service tops the list. That struck me as odd because the most commonly held prior elected office by most presidents was not executive level service. I take this to mean that we have more frequently elected to the presidency men who did not have immediate prior experience in a job that most mirrors the Presidency. Perhaps that doesn't mean much (yet) because I haven't corresponded anyone's particular "approval rating" or other benchmarks of a successful presidency to whether they were an immediately prior governor. Still a curious fact, I think, and perhaps one that has potential explanatory power. Another possible consideration is that despite not having immediately prior executive experience, those presidents elected from Congress may have a better sense of the demands they will face in office, negotiating and pushing initiatives through Congress. Presumably so would a Governor though, in the case of their state's legislature. So...who knows what and to what extent any of that is relevant or otherwise significant.

On the point of presidential success in dealing with Congress - I suppose that has more to do with whether the electorate chooses to elect different parties, i.e., like now, when we have a Senate such as it is (57 D to 41 R, 2 I), a House, such as it is (257 R to 178 D), and a Democrat president.

On the point of lobbyists, I must be the only one who believes that their power is greatly overstated. I think you can assess the issue in two main ways. First, that lobbyists exert power and influence through, well, lobbying. Their spending money through "donations," and other excesses serves to buy votes. Second, that lobbyists simply ensure votes. I mean by this that they lobby to the already convinced. The NRA never seems the change the mind of someone who came to Congress on an anti-gun or gun regulation platform. Simply, they seem to double-down on those lawmakers already leaning to their benefit. I suppose though, to be honest, there are lobby outfits that court both sides (e.g., the banking and insurance lobby), but as we see in this current Congress, which happens to be entrenched, how has this been effective? - I don't think it has. Also, as in any vote there are those lawmakers who sit in the middle, but with respect to issues that have deep partisan affiliations, I don't think we can say affirmatively that those few lawmakers cast deciding votes, especially not in today's House where the difference in party numbers is more than a few minds.

Just some thoughts...