Can't Taste Much At All?

Hey guys, so i used to go to sihsha bars but now i got my own hookha yesterday. They sold me soex molasses tho which i found out were shitty.

Today i went out to buy al fahker watermelon with coconora natural charcoals.

This is how i set it up, put some tobacco in the bowl, try to sorta grind it with my hands but its so sticky i end up not grinding it much(maybe this is the problem) put tinfoil shiny side down poke holes, i light up one coco nora piece, wait until its pretty red/ash, and start smoking,

i put cold water in the vase and its clean because i clean the hookah at every use. i smell more of the scent, and taste it a bit at least compared to soex which had NO taste at all. but still i cannot taste it properly and its bugging me when people say that for some of them it seems extremely tasteful.

What am I doing wrong or do you have any suggestions to break the flavour through?

Here goes...

1 - Make sure you pack plenty of tobacco: loose, evenly spread, all the way to the top
2 - Find the right amount of heat: one coal may not be giving you enough heat to get great smoke.
3 - Unlike many hookah bars, coals start on the side of the bowl: this lets the bowl heat the bottom of the tobacco better.
4 - Enjoy!

Try cutting the coal in half and placing it on both sides. If that is not working try three halves. Not sure what you mean by grinding the tobacco. Just take clumps and place it in the bowl until its just over the rim. Also if it feels like the holes get clogged you can blow on the underside of the bowl or use toothpicks to poke through the holes in the bowl.

[quote name='claytronmeans' timestamp='1316207072' post='524201']
Stop using cold water, cold water kills the flavor and clouds. Use lukewarm, or room temperature water.
[/quote]

I think that is kind of an exaggeration

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1316210170' post='524210']
[quote name='claytronmeans' timestamp='1316207072' post='524201']
Stop using cold water, cold water kills the flavor and clouds. Use lukewarm, or room temperature water.
[/quote]

I think that is kind of an exaggeration
[/quote]
I agree. [u]Ice[/u] cold water can hinder flavor while improving smoke thickness. Honestly, I haven't ever experienced cold water absolutely killing my flavor.

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1316228445' post='524225']
I just tried using warm water and found no difference in taste between cold and warm. On top of that, it's a bit more harsh. I'll be putting ice in water from now on.
[/quote]

If its harsh than you are just using ice water to mask the problem.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1316231170' post='524226']
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1316228445' post='524225']
I just tried using warm water and found no difference in taste between cold and warm. On top of that, it's a bit more harsh. I'll be putting ice in water from now on.
[/quote]

If its harsh than you are just using ice water to mask the problem.
[/quote]
That could very well be true. I'm waiting for my CCN's to come in...should be here Monday and I'll let you know if the problem has changed. Right now I'm using Golden QL's so I could definitely see that as the problem. Plus being a small bowl. I have 2 new bowls coming in on Monday as well...so I'll report back.

[quote name='claytronmeans' timestamp='1316235096' post='524230']
I've never had one good session smoking with ice in the base. Ask Chris, Wade, or any other Tangiers smoker. Warm water will provide the best taste.
[/quote]
No one said he's smoking Tangiers. He's smoking AF Watermelon... I agree though, Tang and ice don't get along.

[quote name='claytronmeans' timestamp='1316235096' post='524230']
I've never had one good session smoking with ice in the base. Ask Chris, Wade, or any other Tangiers smoker. Warm water will provide the best taste.
[/quote]

Well I smoke tangiers (you make it sound like its some big deal) , and I do not disagree that warm water is better for flavor, but its not like there is a huge difference. If you cant really taste anything at all changing up the water temperature is the last thing I would work on. In fact I pretty much always smoke outside and I am pretty sure wade always smokes outside (in CO no less) so its not like the water in vase is going to stay warm. I just use tap water on the regular temperature and dont have an issue with the sessions I get.
  • Upvote 1

First off, I agree with Clayton that you shouldn't be using ice water. Use room temperature or even slightly warm water. This is true for [b]all brands[/b], not just Tangiers.

Sounds like you're a new smoker. You'll wanna take a look at this thread: [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/40373-beginners-guide-to-hookah/"]http://www.hookahfor...uide-to-hookah/[/url] Goes over the basics. As for your Coconaras, use two, placing them across from each other on the bowl, on the edge. Start out hanging them off a bit, and move them in as your session goes. You'll want to pack the bowl light but full, all the way to the rim of the bowl. Don't worry about it touching the foil, it's normal. Poke plenty of holes all over, making sure to poke all the way through the tobacco to the bottom of the bowl. This ensures good airflow through the tobacco. Blow through the bottom of the bowl to make sure you have proper airflow.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes.

Well, getting into the ice/warm/cold water debate... The only time I ever use ice is when I'm in my garage at 95+ temperatures, knowing that the ice just makes it even to a nice, slightly cool water temp.

Do I recommend using ice? Depends. Ice in the base will cool the smoke down even more than usual, slowing down the molecules of the smoke, causing light to not pass as easily through the clouds (AKA, THICKER clouds, I can't say they are bigger or smaller, that's all based of technique.)

When it comes to sheer flavor, knowing that I can operate a hookah rather well, I really don't give a shit. Water straight from the tap does me just fine, so you can call "Straight from the tap to my base" water whatever temperature you wish to call it.

NOW, ON WITH THE ORIGINAL POST.... I don't think water is your issue. Do I think it's hindering your flavor with ice water? Probably, but not enough to warrant your problem.

[b][u]Packing: Quantity/technique[/u][/b]
If you don't have shisha touching your foil, chances are you don't have enough tobacco. Now wait, don't start fretting HF, I didn't say it needs to. I'm saying, 9/10, foil will touch your shisha if packed properly, or at least CLOSE to packed properly.

Since I'm assuming you are using a regular (cupped with holes on bottom) bowl, make sure you pack it loosely. This is key in smoking Al Fakher out of a standard bowl.

[b][u]Shisha "Grinding"?[/u][/b]
I noticed in your post that you said you were attempting to "grind" your shisha? I don't know exactly what this means, but I can tell you it's not needed. Just pull apart the large clumps until you get a nice, leafy texture. Plop it in the bowl with a few pats of the finger, and do this until the shisha is level with the rim of the bowl.

[b][u]Your coal usage[/u][/b]
As most have said, one coconara coal is definitely not enough. I mean yeah, I'm sure you could get decent smoke out of it, but two will do you MUCH nicer than one. Two coals on either side of the bowl and you're set on coals. Also, I noticed you posted that you said "pretty red/ash". Make sure, that they are glowing red. They should have the same, even GLOWING HOT orange/red consistency ALL over. A little blackening is to be expected, since they can't heat up on ALL sides at the same time. But they still need to be pretty fuckin' red.

[b][u]Misc. Comments[/u][/b]
[b]Foil: Shiny side or dull side? -[/b] I could explain to you why this doesn't matter, but I'm just asking you to trust a HF veteran. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Do as you please.

[b]Shisha Juices: [/b]Although it shouldn't make enough of a difference for you to go from not tasting to getting a successful session, every little bit counts; Make sure to mix up the shisha so the juice in the bottom of the tub isn't sitting there, and instead all over your shisha you're putting in your bowl.

That's all.
  • Upvote 2