Remember 9/11

MichaelLCP

As you all know. Today is the 10 year anniversary of September 11th. That horrific day will always be remembered, regardless of how many years it has been. Many people lost their lives on that day, and many people have died defending our country since then. I think we should all take some time out of the day to remember everyone. For everyone who lost their lives on September 11th, 2001, Rest In Peace. We will not forget you.

Where was everyone when you found out?

I was in class at TSTC Waco. The air strip on campus is what George W. used to get to his ranch. Within 30 minutes of it happening Campus was locked down and since I lived on campus I was confined to my room. Secret Service was on every floor. No cable I was on the phone and internet trying to find out what was going on. I have never been so scared. I remember sitting on my bed in disbelief that this wasn't happening. That this was some sort of dream.

This day I remember all that where lost, all that served to find and rescue everyone.

May we never forget.

I was waking up to go to school. My mom was watching the news. "Look Michael the buildings are on fire.." I'll never forget that... I remember parents were taking their kids out of school and all sorts of stuff. Was a sad and scary day.

BF and I were downtown Philadelphia, he was at a software seminar I was in the federal courthouse trying to save my house. The court was evacuated and all federal buildings and monuments (Independence Hall, the US Mint, etc. They're all within a couple blocks of each other). Met up with BF after his seminar and we went home. It was surreal. We went to the roof of the parking garage and it was eerily quiet - there's usually lots of activity in the sky that day there was nothing. Driving home on I-95 the traffic signs heading north were telling that all the bridges and tunnels into NYC were closed and that's what really brought it home. Never see something like that this far south.

Soon as I got home, I checked on friends in NYC and DC. All were fine. One friend's dad worked at the pentagon but was home sick that day.

I was in 5th grade, in the school office faking sick so I could go home. While my mom was on the way to pick me up, a faculty member busted in saying, "turn on the TV!" I didn't really understand the full depth and impact of what was going on. Now that I do, I am truly saddened by it. So many innocent lives lost. May they rest in peace.

I did feel like an asshole afterwards when I was told what happened. Here I was faking sick to go home just because I didn't want to be at school and thousands had just lost their lives that day.

I was getting ready for school on the west coast . I remeber my mom had the news on while she was getting ready for work i asked what happened and then she told me a plane crashed by accident or something then the second plane hit , i was shocked . I remeber once at school and talk of it being a terror attack spread i did not fully comprehend it ,but i was like yeah were gonna go to war and fuck those people up , only if i understood the price of that war then as i do now.

Another thing i do remember that night was (after all day of nothing but watching the news and listing to talk radio, yeah i listened to talk radio at 12) fear . I can remember trying to fall asleep and hearing helicopters all over the place . Not sure if our local sheriffs and PD were just being careful or if they were military from Edwards , i just remember having a horrible time trying to sleep i was honestly scared that something bad might happen.

I'm from Central NJ, and was sitting in science class 6th grade and had a view of the semi circle driveway up to the school. I knew something was wrong when the entire driveway was backed up with parents picking up their kids. We felt it hard here, friends parents were involved, my neighbor across the street was missing for a few days, couldn't get out of NYC. I remember just going out to the driveway and sitting leaning on a car at the house, in shock, scared and trying to comprehend a lack of understanding what was going on. Changed my life forever for sure.

I was on my way to work and I kept wondering why the freeways were so empty. I thought maybe there was a holiday that I didn't know about. So I turned off the CD player in my car and turned on the radio. When I first heard it, I thought it had to be a bad radio prank or something. I remembered War of the Worlds and the stories about it's broadcast in which people didn't realize it was a radio play and panicked. It wasn't until details were coming across that it sank in that it was real. I got to work, right across the street from the Burbank airport, and someone asked the boss if maybe we shouldn't be going home considering airports were an apparent target. He thought we were all idiots for being upset and threatened to fire anyone who didn't put in a full day. His attitude lasted right up until the moment when some Federal officers showed up, asked if he was a "fucking lunatic", told him to get his head out of his ass, and sent us all home.

One of the reasons it affected me and all of us at the office so deeply was because we worked with many companies based in the towers. People we'd talk to on almost a daily basis were suddenly gone. It was life changing for even those of us on the West Coast.

'Rani

I was enroute from Albuquerque to Tuscon when Alb ATC ordered me to Truth or Consequences, NM. Ended the day talking to a NMANG 1lt. for 3 hours. Spent week in what passed as a B&B in Truth or Consequences before finally got approval for aircraft in the area.

Always found a strange irony in getting grounded in a town by that name.

I was in the school nurse's office getting bandaged up after busting my head playing PE football.

The radio was talking about it. At first it was a story about a plane accident that hit the WTC. But after the second plane crashed, everyone realized what was really happening...

I had just come back from school and I actually rushed back because everyone was talking about it from the minute school ended! Came back home and saw it on the news. I was old enough to figure that it's gonna get worse! A very tragic day indeed! It's etched in my memory like it was yesterday, and not in a good way.