Desktop Or Laptop, What Are You All Rockin?

ChicagoRSX

My first compute was a Mac and I admit I've drunk the kool-aid LOL

Here is what I have running:

The laptop my boss got me is a dell even though we're a Mac house. I'm on site at a client's office 3 days a week and they're a windows office so he got me a dell laptop. It's OK but I try to keep it not too personal (even though just about all the tabs I have open are open to HF (3) and Hookah sites LOL). It's not a bad laptop, but not my choice.

I have an ancient powerbook that has been rigged because something in the screen died. Right now it's storing all my iPod backups and my LIFE (not to be confused with iLife).

I have a G4 tower that I have to get a wireless connection working. Both my powerbook and tower are dual boot so I can run older software (that I need for some design work that has not been upgraded to OSX and web design that I don't really need to upgrade right now).

When I can afford a new Powerbook, the old one will be relegated to being a video/audio jukebox and streaming server since I have a Netflix account and BF won't unpack his XBox (because he'll play Goldeneye all day LOL).

As for what you should get, it does really depend on what you need to do. If all I did was surf and read emails and forums, I'd probably get a US$100 netbook. (But I have an iPod touch which streams netflix and I can do forums from anywhere I get wifi). If my needs were simple and didn't require a lot of processing, I'd get a cheap laptop (if you can wait, get yourself a paper on Thanksgiving and check out the 5am black friday sales. I got BF a rocking HP for under $500 at 6am one black friday sale. It was so worth standing in the rain for that.) He just said he likes his Lenovo because he can totally take it apart to clean the fan, keyboard, etc. BTW, BF is a programmer.

If you are graphic/media centric, I'd say a Mac. The airbook doesn't have any frills and is slim and light. The mini packs quite a bit of power for its small size - it's basically a tower that can't be expanded much. I'm looking at a 15" powerbook pro, I need the extra power for my programming needs (yes, I can do it on Windows 7, but I am at heart a mac person). I don't care for 13" and I don't like 17" (the dell my boss got me is 17" and I don't like it, and it doesn't fit any of my computer bags).

I also like OpenOffice and use it where I can.

If youre going for mostly work and messing about on the internet then either a) go for a cheaper desktop computer or B) go for a slightly more expensive laptop (about as good as a cheaper dektop). Obviously a laptop would seem more appropriate if you would like to use it from more than one place :P mac or pc... whatever you like better I guess, I use a PC cos I game and like to have some freedom but if youre going for casual user it doesnt matter. Just keep your budget in mind!

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315879874' post='523608']
my laptop died some odd days ago (Alienware m11x)

now, i use an iPad2 and a HTC Droid Incredible....i'm content.
[/quote]

Those aren't computers, those are toys.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1315543426' post='523135']
Rockin a Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel Core i7 930 @2.8GHz
12GB DDR3 RAM
2- 2TB Hard Drives
Blue Ray Drive
Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell 24" WS HD Monitor
Liliput 7" USB Monitor
[/quote]

What the hell do you need 12gb ram for? Aside from feeding that nerd boner we all get from building overpowered computers for no reason :)

I just got a new case and PSU the other day. My old PSU died after just about 4 years of heavy use. Not bad by any means.

[img]http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/3037/gallery/full/1.jpg[/img]

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6700 2.67 GHz
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular
Video: XFX HD-583X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5830
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

Three 74gb WD Raptor 10,000 RPM in RAID 0
One 250gb WD 7500 RPM for movies/music
Plus a couple external TB drives for storage

I am rockin a 20" Widescreen Acer and a 19" Widescreen NEC as well.

Definitely due for an upgrade, though I can play every new game on the highest setting still. I just like building computers for fun.

[quote name='steveburns' timestamp='1315908773' post='523635']
Macs always over pc..... [color=#ff0000][b]no erors more reliable... never crash and more powerful[/b][/color], look much better.... and definitely laptops over pc mobility is very important to me.
[/quote]

Thanks I need a good laugh today.

I get the same number of calls on errors from my Mac users as i do my PC users.

Threw my old dell laptop across the room one night .... reason is not important. One of my mac users accidentally pushed his 3 week old MacBook Pro from his desk to his padded chair (14" or so). Sent it off to get replaced under warranty.

[quote name='mitchard' timestamp='1315946521' post='523707']
What the hell do you need 12gb ram for? Aside from feeding that nerd boner we all get from building overpowered computers for no reason :)
[/quote]

Because I could.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Desktop and Laptop...

Laptop is an HP DV6-6135DX
-AMD A8 Quad Core Processor 1.5Ghz
-6GB DDR3 Ram
-500GB WD Blue HD
-Radeon HD6750m Video Card

Desktop or "The Rig" is a bit of a beast.... and an expensive one at that unfortunately...

Case: Cooler Master Haf X
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition Deneb
MOBO: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 [4X XFire Support, 6GB Sata Connectors, 16GB RAM Support]
VGA: 2x Sapphire Radeon 5850 Toxic Edition Video Cards Crossfired
HD: 4TB Western Digital Caviar Black HD
RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Ram
PSU: Corsair 850TX Enthusiast Edition
Drives: 1x Sony Optaric Blu-Ray Drive, 1x Lite-on DVD RW Drive
Cooling: Corsair H-70 Water Cooling
ETC: Razer Mamba Mouse, Logitech Z-5500's, HP 27" 2709M Monitor, Logitech Orbit AF Webcam, Hauppauge 1650 HD TV Tuner, D-Link Xtreme N Wireless Card.

:)

On an older Desktop, but I am on an M11x by alienware mostly now. Great for portability, light gaming (there is nothing out I cant run on low, most on medium and mixed settings) and just about everything else I need it for.

I use a sony vaio laptop. I have it worked out where I get a free new one ever 1.5 years or so from best buy. If you get the Geek Squad warranty and it has to be sent in 3 times for 3 different issues you get a new computer. Im on my 4th free computer and I have already sent it in once and I need to do it again for a broken usb port. So one more and its upgrade time. I havent bought a new laptop since 05. Yes I am hard on computers, I use it for tuning my car so it gets moved around a lot.