Starbuzz Bold?

Browsing hookah company today and saw Starbuzz Bold. Wondering if it's any different from the normal line. Name sounds to me like it would be unwashed which might be interesting.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1314139704' post='521071']
Yeah, saw that as well. Seriously doubt its unwashed, its probably the exact same thing as there normal line.

Starbuzz website says "bold on color, not on taste."
[/quote]
More red dye! YAY!

I've checked out a couple of the flavors at the local shop and they had no dye in them. I looked at Queen of Sex and Pink Lady. I would never buy them though on account of having retarded fucking names.

i actually picked some off with my order from 5star last week. I got it because...well...errr....I don't know why, just curious i suppose. I tried it a couple days ago and from what i could tell (i had a little of the drinky drink in me) it was just starbuzz. Nothing special, just same old starbuzz. I'll smoke it again tomorrow when i'm all there and let yous guys know if my drunk me was right

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1314217040' post='521191']
It has a bolder price.
[/quote]

Too true. :lol2:

Take already ridiculously overpriced subpar hookah tobacco and just increase the dye which is already hated by everyone that knows what is what when it comes to hookah, give it a new stupid subname, keep it in the same tins everyone complains about already but add a "bold" new label, and increase its price...

Marketing geniuses!

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1314214925' post='521183']
Stupid name for a new line. First thing I'd do is fire the marketing guy.

'Rani
[/quote]
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1314230537' post='521232']
Take already ridiculously overpriced subpar hookah tobacco and just increase the dye which is already hated by everyone that knows what is what when it comes to hookah, give it a new stupid subname, keep it in the same tins everyone complains about already but add a "bold" new label, and increase its price...

Marketing geniuses!
[/quote]

The funny thing is, I am sure it will be a huge hit. I bet Code 69 (which is an even more stupid than bold) is sold more than the entire tangiers line

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1314231669' post='521234']

'Rani
[/quote]

Marketing geniuses!
[/quote]

The funny thing is, I am sure it will be a huge hit. I bet Code 69 (which is an even more stupid than bold) is sold more than the entire tangiers line
[/quote]

[size=3][size=4]I'm curious as to why that is. I recently started smoking with a middle eastern couple and they smoke predominantly Starbuzz, and have never even heard of Tangiers. I mean if it wasn't for this site, I never would have heard much about them. [/size][/size]

[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1314234261' post='521241']

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1314231669' post='521234']

'Rani
[/quote]

Marketing geniuses!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[size=3][size=4]I'm curious as to why that is. I recently started smoking with a middle eastern couple and they smoke predominantly Starbuzz, and have never even heard of Tangiers. I mean if it wasn't for this site, I never would have heard much about them. [/size][/size]
[/quote]

In your town you got this really grimy ethnic food place, hardly anyone eats there but you swear it has the best (insert ethnic dish here) and its cheap too! Why will more people in your town eat at mcdonald's than that restaurant?

Granted its more complicated than that and there are a whole slew of factors but people will always bend to marketing.

Some other things to take into account:

Starbuzz has a stranglehold (at least in socal) on tobacco used for lounges, which for the majority of people is how they get into smoking hookah. They are convinced that starbuzz is the premier shisha, and with that price tag who can disagree. They have been in the game much longer the tangiers and are better established in smoke shops. They spend a lot of money on advertising and flavor names/ logos.

Those damned tins that arent even airtight! Everyone loves them!

Eric has a very strong personality and can be hard to get along with. I am sure that has hurt him business wise, although it certainly makes him an interesting character. I also dont think he has ever spent money on advertising.

The perceived issues of noir, if it doesnt smoke well out of the bag in a mod bowl then its going to turn a lot of people off.
  • Upvote 1

As mentioned, besides marketing...ease of use is probably huge for lounges. Granted, it doesn't take a long time to pack a good bowl of Tangiers, but it still takes longer to pack than a bowl of Starbuzz. Additionally, Starbuzz is very heat tolerant so heat management is almost a non-issue. And with more heat, comes more smoke....which adds another appeal.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1314235650' post='521246']
Eric has a very strong personality and can be hard to get along with. I am sure that has hurt him business wise, although it certainly makes him an interesting character. I also dont think he has ever spent money on advertising.

The perceived issues of noir, if it doesnt smoke well out of the bag in a mod bowl then its going to turn a lot of people off.
[/quote]

It's not so much that he has a strong personality. He's a Gemini. Which is the astrological term for schizophrenic. Seriously, he does more direct advertising in that he travels to retailers. The whole mass market advertising thing has become pretty ineffective overall compared to what it used to be. I could be wrong but I think there's a high mark-up on Starbuzz from wholesale to retail because I know a couple retailers personally who are willing to give me pretty amazing deals on Starbuzz. I just don't much like the stuff. But I know they "require" a certain price point from their retailers. So from that point of view, if you're the retailer and you pay fairly cheaply for a product that is resold at a big profit percentage, you're going to push that product.

The biggest glitch I keep hearing on Tangiers from our local retailers is his packaging. They just don't like the whole plastic bag thing. They'd love if he'd keep the interior plastic bag and maybe use a plastic tub like Al Waha, etc. Nobody really likes the tins. They're worthless. They just look pretty on the shelf.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1314285078' post='521293']
The biggest glitch I keep hearing on Tangiers from our local retailers is his packaging. They just don't like the whole plastic bag thing. They'd love if he'd keep the interior plastic bag and[b] maybe use a plastic tub like Al Waha[/b], etc. Nobody really likes the tins. They're worthless. They just look pretty on the shelf.

'Rani
[/quote]

I keep my Al-Waha tubs after I finish them specifically for putting Tangiers in them later.

I can see why retailers wouldn't like Tangiers packaging as in they can't set it up and properly display it on a shelf. But is it really that necessary to set up shisha and display it on a shelf? In my opinion, that's one of the things I like about Tangiers- Eric doesn't give as much of a fuck about the packaging for display and advertising purposes, but instead packages it the way he does because it's more cost effective for the consumer. Also saves resources, the environment, etc... Other companies should follow his example.

Chris, the way tangiers is packaged, they should be displaying it like candy bars are displayed in a gas station. People just arent thinking hard enough :rolleyes:
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1314312198' post='521377']
Chris, the way tangiers is packaged, they should be displaying it like candy bars are displayed in a gas station. People just arent thinking hard enough :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It's not about display guys. It's about the end customer. We know and love Tangiers just as we know and love it's manufacturer. Mister Joe Schmo walking through the door of a shop sees the product in plastic bags and says "Okay so it's not exactly cheap, [u]plus[/u] I have to figure out a way to store the stuff after I open it?" That's the problem.

'Rani

It's not so much that he has a strong personality. He's a Gemini. Which is the astrological term for schizophrenic. Seriously, he does more direct advertising in that he travels to retailers. The whole mass market advertising thing has become pretty ineffective overall compared to what it used to be. I could be wrong but I think there's a high mark-up on Starbuzz from wholesale to retail because I know a couple retailers personally who are willing to give me pretty amazing deals on Starbuzz. I just don't much like the stuff. But I know they "require" a certain price point from their retailers. So from that point of view, if you're the retailer and you pay fairly cheaply for a product that is resold at a big profit percentage, you're going to push that product.

The biggest glitch I keep hearing on Tangiers from our local retailers is his packaging. They just don't like the whole plastic bag thing. They'd love if he'd keep the interior plastic bag and maybe use a plastic tub like Al Waha, etc. Nobody really likes the tins. They're worthless. They just look pretty on the shelf.

'Rani
[/quote]

FU, Geminis are the best. LOL J/K. I'm a gemini. If you don't mind, can I use your "He's a Gemini. Which is the astrological term for schizophrenic." as my signature :) still can't stop laughing, best description of geminis I've heard... Edited by adike

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1314315032' post='521395']
[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1314312198' post='521377']
[/quote]

It's not about display guys. It's about the end customer. We know and love Tangiers just as we know and love it's manufacturer. Mister Joe Schmo walking through the door of a shop sees the product in plastic bags and says "Okay so it's not exactly cheap, [u]plus[/u] I have to figure out a way to store the stuff after I open it?" That's the problem.

'Rani
[/quote]
Tangires is to pro for noobs

[quote name='adike' timestamp='1314695078' post='521887']

'Rani
[/quote]

FU, Geminis are the best. LOL J/K. I'm a gemini. If you don't mind, can I use your "He's a Gemini. Which is the astrological term for schizophrenic." as my signature :) still can't stop laughing, best description of geminis I've heard...
[/quote]

LOL. I'm a Gemini too. I want to use that in my sig too... figures there would be too Gemini's thinking exactly the same thing B) B) . Yes its true that Gemini's are nuts but we are completely justified in that craziness. We are the mad genius' of the zodiac.