Different Hookah Names

Depending on locality, the water pipe or “HOOKAH” and tobacco or “SHISHA” may be referred to by many names. These are some of the different names of the water pipe and tobacco in different countries and cultures today.
[b] THE WATER PIPE:[/b][list]
[*]ARABIAN COUNTRIES: Shisha, Sheesha, Nargeela or Argeela
[*]UNITED STATES and CANADA: Hookah or Water Pipe
[*]IRAN: Galyan, also spelled Ghalyan, Ghalyaan or Ghelyoon
[*]ISRAEL: Nargila
[*]PAKISTAN and INDIA: Hookah or Huqqa
[*]BANGLADESH and PHILLIPPINES: Hookah or Shisha
[*]SOUTH AFRICA: Hubbly Bubbly or Okka Pipe
[*]ALBANIA, BOSNIA and CROTIA: Lula or Lulava
[*]SERBIA and HERZEGOVINA: Nargile or Nargile
[*]UZBEKISTAN: Chillim
[*]MALDIVES: Gudugudaa
[/list]
[b] TOBACCO[/b]

Shisha, Sheesha, Molasses, Narghile, Nargile, Tobamel, Maasel, Tombak, Mu'assel, Moassel, Tabac and Tobacco.
SHISHA is the most popular name for the tobacco used in HOOKAHS today. You probably realize a lot of the names are the same. This is Because of the lack of language translation, different cultures had to come up with their own names for the water pipe and tobacco that we know and love today, Both HOOKAH and SHISHA have a multitude of varied names in the world today, depending on the country and culture.

I personally like Chillim "cuz you know im just chillin with my Chillim Bro!" Edited by S3cretz

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1314136904' post='521060']
NOBODY except Americans calls the tobacco shisha guys, I dunno how many times I have to say it
[/quote]

I tend not to... :D

I usually just call it tobacco...

NOBODY except Americans calls the tobacco shisha guys, I dunno how many times I have to say it
[/quote]

So its okay for everyone else to have their own word for it except Americans?
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1314139049' post='521068']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point...

Why does it upset you so much, Hass? It's no big deal, really. I suggest picking up a book. Run the water to the perfect temperature. Add some bubble bath. Get naked. Get in the bath. Read the book. Take your mind off of this silly little thing that bothers you. There's more important things in this world. Like reading your book in a nice relaxing bath. Nekked.

Because other languages call it things that more or less mean tobacco. As I've made the analogy before, it's like going to a gas station and asking to fill up with "car"

Also s3cretz you left out Turkey, the home of the modern pipe (for the use of a region-netural word): Pipe - nargile; tobacco - tütün generically, or tönbeki for the 'ajami types. The UK (including the large Asian and Arab communities) also calls the pipe shisha.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1314142488' post='521076']
Because other languages call it things that more or less mean tobacco. As I've made the analogy before, it's like going to a gas station and asking to fill up with "car"

Also s3cretz you left out Turkey, the home of the modern pipe (for the use of a region-netural word): Pipe - nargile; tobacco - tütün generically, or tönbeki for the 'ajami types. The UK (including the large Asian and Arab communities) also calls the pipe shisha.
[/quote]

Okay, fair enough...

But I still think you should get nekked and get in the tub.

(I actually do agree with you and think you are right. I'm just playing with you about getting nekked... or am I? ;) )

I guess I could add to the list, the guy that has spread shisha through the center of the country is Egyptian so we all pretty much call it shisha and call tobacco tobacco :P (well, tobak in slovene but who cares :D )
by country I meant Slovenia durr hurr. Edited by Bawhee

[/quote]

Good To know Thanks Has And just so you know in South Africa most Chillium Pros Call tobacco either tobacco or shisha :P but the overbearing population calls it flavor... ye I know.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1314139049' post='521068']
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1314190026' post='521143']

[/quote]

Good To know Thanks Has And just so you know in South Africa most Chillium Pros Call tobacco either tobacco or shisha :P but the overbearing population calls it flavor... ye I know.
[/quote]

Just a heads up the term in the U.S. is used to refer to the same style pipe, but here is used for NHT.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1314312660' post='521381']
[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1314190026' post='521143']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a heads up the term in the U.S. is used to refer to the same style pipe, but here is used for NHT.
[/quote]

Yep, India too. In fact if you say it in English, that's universally going to be the association.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1314393517' post='521498']
No one looks at my signature I guess
[/quote]

heh actually never noticed that either..well now i know and knowing is half the battle Edited by king_lunchb0x

I'm Armenian and have always called it a Narghile but when I use it in conversation people always stop me and ask what I'm talking about or if that's a special brand or what ever, it just helps me move the conversation along to just call it a hookah but I know its a Narghile.