Iran Sentences Americans To 8 Years In Prison. Why?

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/iran-sentences-2-american-men-8-years-jail-133532047.html"]http://news.yahoo.co...-133532047.html[/url]

Ever since I saw this when it first happened a while ago I've had the same thought, or rather question.

Is Iran doing this to make a statement or to actually maintain national security?

Are they just trying to make an example of the Americans?

Or is it more likely that these "hikers" actually were spies of some sort and deserve this punishment?

As usual we will never be aware of all of the facts concerning the situation.

Personally I feel Iran just wants to take advantage of the fact they found some straggling Americans and do in fact want to make a statement.

What do you guys think?

This is all I can think of...

What would we do if we found hikers that were Middle Eastern here?

Probably a lot damn worse than their punishment.

Also, you're right, we'll never know the whole story...

I've ran into a couple Middle Eastern hikers before. I didn't immediately detain them or call the police.

The Americans were hiking along the Iranian border and if I remember correctly it's very easy to accidentally cross over.

I would like to think that if we had a problem with Canada and some Canadians accidentally popped up into Alaska that yes there would be an investigation, but unless they had some crazy equipment or something of that sort that we wouldn't hold them for years then imprison them for a portion of their lives.

Yeah... I was moreso making a joke about how we tend to treat our Middle Eastern friends here.

But yeah, I agree with you. I think this depends on what the hikers were carrying on themselves at the time they were captured by border patrol. This stuff is I'm sure what helped the court decide their intentions. Hiking gear -> They are actually hikers. Communications equipment, recording devices, etc. -> Spies. But, who knows how corrupt the Iranian court is. They may be trying to make an example. Thing is, we'll never know and these guys will have to sit in an Iranian prison for 8 years now.

At this point I hope they are spies. Then the U.S. might be more likely to act in more than a diplomatic capacity to free them, or in the least they would have received training to survive what I'm sure is to be a grueling experience.

And yes, that joke went straight over my head. I tend to miss everything except the meanings of the words, happens far too often in real life. Apologies :D .

Knowing the mutual love that radiates between those two nations,being aware of today's charged religio=political climate,why would a group of hikers decide to hike along the poorly demarcated border? If these 3 weren't spies, then they surely deserve honorable mention in the next Darwin awards. Gee,lets all get together for a hookah hike and camping trip in South Waziristan, the weather is lovely this time of year.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1313936144' post='520701']
In more than a diplomatic capacity... So you're saying we should incite a war just to free a couple hikers?
[/quote]

Oh no, certainly not.

[quote name='mustafabey' timestamp='1313943345' post='520704']
Knowing the mutual love that radiates between those two nations,being aware of today's charged religio=political climate,why would a group of hikers decide to hike along the poorly demarcated border? If these 3 weren't spies, then they surely deserve honorable mention in the next Darwin awards. Gee,lets all get together for a hookah hike and camping trip in South Waziristan, the weather is lovely this time of year.
[/quote]

You do make a very good point. And I love me some Darwin awards.

[quote name='mustafabey' timestamp='1313943345' post='520704']
[/quote]

That is exactly what keeps popping into my thoughts every time I think of this incident. "hikers" don't write anti-gov't/terrorist sympathizer pieces for any sort of publication. (O, you didn't know that part? Hmmm.... not amazed, it seems to be missed by news articles in the USA.)

It wouldn't be the first time the US intel agencies used seemingly innocent young people as agents. Not to say they were, but circumstances being what they are, just what the hell would ever inspire people to go into that area, and "hike".

The US state dept handling of the incident further makes me wonder just what is going on. Iran is run by some fruitcakes, but it would seem wholly against good judgement on their part to take action that is guaranteed to further put them in a bad light. From what I have known of most middle eastern culture, if it were just "hiking" and getting lost, it would have been more in keeping with the culture to release them over Ramadan. THey have all 4 been linked to leftist activist actions, and publications. Bauer had managed to piss on more than an few high power leaders in Iraq, including big $ "businessmen" and militia leaders.

Not a good way to stay free, or alive. I am actually rather amazed they weren't found dead in the sand somewhere... But allot could happen in 7 years.

Again we see an example of the dumbass-principle. If you do dumb-ass things, you have to expect dumb-ass consequences.

• 4 weeks later...
They're release is being considered: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/irans-president-says-he-intends-to-grant-unilateral-pardon-to-two-us-hikers/2011/09/13/gIQA9hD2OK_story.html

I must agree, if you're going to hike, make damn sure you know where you're going.