Tangier's Official Thread.

mushrat

• 5 months later...
There hasn't been new stock for what seems like a whole year. Birquq has had only 1 batch release in March and we are in mid September now. I sure hope they get their shit together and start making more product. There is a lot of demand for it from the looks...

[quote name='Druthers' timestamp='1347556847' post='556308']
Is lucid still being produced? I've checked 5 vendors and they all see, to be down to 2-5 flavours.
[/quote]

They must be really be behind on things,ive been waiting couple months to restock and yet still no luck, but to your question lucid is still being produced, its just in super short supply. I hope supply picks up soon.running low

Production is at full speed currently. We have experienced a huge increase of the number of people buying Tangiers as well as retailers stocking Tangiers tobacco and bowls. I think 5star has the most variety right now.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='hookaholic' timestamp='1355613063' post='565104']
advice on packing and poking holes for large tangiers bowl? ive been having issues this week
[/quote]

Sure! All Tangiers phunnels can be packed the same way... in a nutshell (not literally... just the saying) you are packing dense with lots and lots of big holes.

[center][b]ABC's of Packing Tangiers Tobacco[/b]

[b]A) Acclimation:[/b][/center]

[b]Instant Acclimation- [/b]Haiku

With unopened bag
Instant acclimation works
Squish for 2 minutes

Give it the sniff test. If it smells like the flavor it doesn't need acclimation. If it smells of soy/ketchup/overwhelming tobacco then you need to acclimate.

[b]4/20 acclimation[/b]
Open your Tangiers and empty it into a wide airtight container and stir it up well, making sure to break up any clumps and combined all the juice with the tobacco*. Allow your container to be open, stirring everyone hour or so, for approximately 4 hours. Stir again and seal for 20hrs. Do not open your container, do not peek at all. After the 20 hours, open your container, stir thoroughly and give it the smell test. If your Tangiers smells off (bbq, ketchup, soy, etc) then repeat the steps for 4/20 acclimation**.

*Since humidity fluctuates throughout the day, start your acclimation process at the same time that you wish to smoke. If you like to smoke after dinner, then start the acclimation process after dinner. This will insure that you are catching a humidity window that is similar to your ideal smoke time. Unless of course there is a drastic weather change...

**Some flavors require more or less acclimation. Some flavors will smoke fine even if they smell slightly off. If you are unsure you can ask the forum or send me PM.

[center][b] B) Bowl[/b][/center]

For an Alien and Tangiers Phunnel- densely pack your tobacco into the bowl. It will be about as firm in the bowl as it is in the unopened package. Then put foil on top and press it down with your palm. You should be able to see the imprints of the outer edge and inner spire. Look under the foil and the distance between the top of the bowl and the top of the tobacco should be the thickness of a Quarter coin.

Replace foil and poke big holes ([b]bigger[/b] than a toothpick) and close together. 3 rings usually fit on an Alien. Generally you will poke as many holes as will fit on the foil. The more holes the better. Some people put a hole in the spire to create less restrictive draw, to manage the flux between idle time and pull time, or to reduce the amount of suction on the foill. Retighten foil after poking holes.

[center][b]C) Coals-[/b][/center]

Generally people use 2-3 CH coals Stonehenge style to start. The amount of heat you need will depend on the Tangiers flavor being use, the type of coal and the condition of the outside environment. Unless you are smoking Birquq there is no reason to split natural coconut coals. Fumari/Golden Canary coals will most likely be the best for heat management however there are some drawbacks to using them aswell.

See if that helps. If you have any more trouble we are always here to help.

• 1 month later...

advice on packing and poking holes for large tangiers bowl? ive been having issues this week

Sure! All Tangiers phunnels can be packed the same way... in a nutshell (not literally... just the saying) you are packing dense with lots and lots of big holes.

ABC's of Packing Tangiers Tobacco

A) Acclimation:

B) Bowl

C) Coals-

:D

Katie, Eric, and anyone else who's listening: Absinthe does not taste like this. Not the real stuff anyways. I drink a lot of it, and the only kinds that have this "cane mint with a tiny hint of anise" taste to it is the stuff labelled as absinth or absente from Czech...which is not real absinthe at all, the mix is completely different. If you are shooting for real absinthe(predominantly swiss, but often french as well), lose the mint. That is regional to Czech, where they add mint, and don't add as much (if any) anise and fennel. For reference, the tri-fecta of absinthe is star anise, fennel and wormwood. After the maceration and distillation of that tri-fecta, one of the following is added for coloring and final flavor: lemon balm, hyssop, juniper, nutmeg, veronica, angelica root, melissa or coriander (most often lemon balm or melissa, czech "absinthes" would add mint here instead of one of these).

The strength of the anise is about right in your mix, but the cane mint overpowers it far too much. You want this to taste like a mixed glass of absinthe (1 ounce absinthe, poured over sugar, then ~1.5-2 ounces of ice cold water slowly dripped over the sugar until dissolved). 

I don't mean to knock the flavor, I quite enjoy it, but this is not what absinthe tastes like. I, a frequent enjoyer of the beverage, had to really struggle to taste the absinthe in it. I'll smoke the kg of what I bought happily, but this mix should really be called something else. Like "Cane Mint With A Hint Of Anise".

Side note: Strawberry gave me some serious boners, though (we're talking at least 3 or 4). Kudos. 

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...