Tangier's Official Thread.

mushrat

[quote name='warfarin549' timestamp='1316811274' post='524935']
So i just started smoking Tang again, and I think I need some help.....

About halfway through a 250 of lucid orange soda and i've only have one reasonably successful bowl. Always ends up super harsh with very little smoke. I pack the proper method, but using a vortex instead (i just prefer my vortex...plus my last phunnel just broke).

However, first bowl in with some Indian summer, and all seems to be good, except the smoke quality. I've got plenty of quantity, but it's still pretty a bit wispy and smoke like not cloud like. I'm using 3 ccn's packed to the top of a vortex, lightly touching the foil or just under the foil. what gives?
[/quote]
I'm having a similar issue as this guy. A friend gave me some Orange Soda and I think Cherry to try. I'm using a Crown Micro Funnel however. I packed the bowl tight, and put 2 CCNs on it. Was getting very little smoke even after 10-15 min and it was quite harsh. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if Tangiers is just harsh....as I'm still somewhat new to this (mainly smoke starbuzz, occasionally nahkla, AF, and romman). I keep hearing how awesome Tang is but have not experienced the awesomeness yet :(

Could it be an acclimation issue? Did I acclimate it wrong? It smells fine so I'm assuming I did, but just bringing that up... Edited by DrSmokes

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1317246960' post='525527']

About halfway through a 250 of lucid orange soda and i've only have one reasonably successful bowl. Always ends up super harsh with very little smoke. I pack the proper method, but using a vortex instead (i just prefer my vortex...plus my last phunnel just broke).

However, first bowl in with some Indian summer, and all seems to be good, except the smoke quality. I've got plenty of quantity, but it's still pretty a bit wispy and smoke like not cloud like. I'm using 3 ccn's packed to the top of a vortex, lightly touching the foil or just under the foil. what gives?
[/quote]
I'm having a similar issue as this guy. A friend gave me some Orange Soda and I think Cherry to try. I'm using a Crown Micro Funnel however. I packed the bowl tight, and put 2 CCNs on it. Was getting very little smoke even after 10-15 min and it was quite harsh. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if Tangiers is just harsh....as I'm still somewhat new to this (mainly smoke starbuzz, occasionally nahkla, AF, and romman). I keep hearing how awesome Tang is but have not experienced the awesomeness yet :(

Could it be an acclimation issue? Did I acclimate it wrong? It smells fine so I'm assuming I did, but just bringing that up...
[/quote]
ok, some people believe that you don't really need to acclimate lucid, I still acclimate mine. usually 2-3 hours should do the trick. I think the real problem is in coal/heat. CCNs burn pretty hot, one of the hottest if im not mistaken. Have you tried splitting those coals in half?If not try splitting them and putting 3 halves on ur crown. If it starts to get harsh takr of 1 and let it cool down just a bit. Make sure its packed full to the top. I don't really know how tight your packing but maybe ease up on compressing the tobacco.
thats about all I can think of. hope it helps.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1317283343' post='525575']

[/quote]

Could it be an acclimation issue? Did I acclimate it wrong? It smells fine so I'm assuming I did, but just bringing that up...
[/quote]
ok, some people believe that you don't really need to acclimate lucid, I still acclimate mine. usually 2-3 hours should do the trick. I think the real problem is in coal/heat. CCNs burn pretty hot, one of the hottest if im not mistaken. Have you tried splitting those coals in half?If not try splitting them and putting 3 halves on ur crown. If it starts to get harsh takr of 1 and let it cool down just a bit. Make sure its packed full to the top. I don't really know how tight your packing but maybe ease up on compressing the tobacco.
[/quote]
Thanks, I'll give it a go today. I spoke with my friend last night and he was telling me that he had to add more heat to get it to not be as harsh...now explain to me how that works lmao! But I'll let you know how it goes.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1317283343' post='525575']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

For the record, depending on the flavor and the humidity level in which you are smoking some lucids do require acclimation. A good rule of thumb is just to smell it... if it doesn't smell like the flavor that it should be then leave it out for a a bit until it the aroma of the flavor increases. An aroma of BBQ, ketchup, or soy sauce will not be present after proper acclimation. Certain climates react differently; those who live in the dessert rarely have to acclimate lucid, while people who live around the mid Atlantic coast often have to acclimate lucid. Just like milk... give it the sniff test.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It doesn't sound like an acclimation problem at first read. There are a few reasons for harsh smoke. a) The tobacco is old and dried out, B) Heat Management- heat is too high and causing the top layer of tobacco to burn and and become dry, c) too many holes in the foil and/or d) tobacco is packed too tightly to allow heat/air to vaporize the substances.

Try a few variations in your methods and see what works best for you. Everyone has there own method of packing Tangiers that works for them. With a few tries you should be getting full flavor and thick clouds in no time :) It can be difficult to learn the little nuances when you don't have a friend aiding you in the process. The best method I have learned so far came from Spoolinspoon... once I mastered his technique I was able to change it up a little to suit my preferences. There is no one way to pack Tangiers... if it works, then that is the way.

Keep us posted!
  • Upvote 1

I think Warfarin's problem is the Vortex mostly. But hopefully Allstar helped him on that.

Dr. Smokes, I think your issue is the Crown Micro/using two full CCNs. Have you tried using halves? Is the Tangiers Noir or Lucid? Noir is much more temperamental in a Crown Micro, in my experience. The bowl must be packed as tightly as it comes in the package when you receive it, about a quarter's worth below from touching the foil (which is harder to gauge in the Crown Micro). Plenty of holes with none directly over the middle hole. And coal... you want to use TINY pieces of coal. Stuie I know uses FOURTHs. I tried it out and it worked awesome. This is why I think your issue may just very well be too much coal. For Tangiers, that can definitely yield in no flavor, especially in the case of Noir.
  • Upvote 1

I've never had problems until now. A week ago, I opened one of my 250gs of Blue Flower, and I started acclimating it. 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4 and it still smells like soy sauce. I'm wondering if certain flavors are sensitive to certain climates? All my other flavors I smoke have acclimated within 4 hours, if not sooner.

[quote name='omegaalpha22' timestamp='1317684677' post='526325']
I've never had problems until now. A week ago, I opened one of my 250gs of Blue Flower, and I started acclimating it. 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4 and it still smells like soy sauce. I'm wondering if certain flavors are sensitive to certain climates? All my other flavors I smoke have acclimated within 4 hours, if not sooner.
[/quote]

Sounds like it *could* be humidity shock... Keep trying it for a couple more days. If it doesn't improve, then stick it in the freezer overnight. Then resume 4/20. Freezing it "resets" it, so to speak, and should allow you to acclimate it properly.

Can someone explain the 4/20? I've seen it posted but still don't know what it is.

BTW, I just bought a bunch of lucid and 1 noir today. 5star has already given me UPS tracking so I'm hoping to see the package in a few days and hope to get my tangiers smoking good :)

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1317688630' post='526341']
Can someone explain the 4/20? I've seen it posted but still don't know what it is.

[/quote]

Since the humidity throughout the day fluctuates when you leave your tang open for a window of 4 hours then close it for 20hr you are capturing a window of time for your tobacco to acclimate. If the tobacco was left open for 24 hours and the humidity fluctuates drastically, you may find it harder to acclimate. We want to catch a window of time that is relatively stable in its humidity level in order to acclimate to full flavor.

You may find that you have to reacclimate a batch when there are fluctuations in weather/seasons. 4/20 acclimation method can be very useful in this instance.

*there should be "," after the first "fluctuates"

Since the humidity throughout the day fluctuates, when you leave your tang open... yadda yadda yadda...

didn't catch that in time and i thought it read weird.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1317686545' post='526335'][quote name='omegaalpha22' timestamp='1317684677' post='526325'] I've never had problems until now. A week ago, I opened one of my 250gs of Blue Flower, and I started acclimating it. 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4 and it still smells like soy sauce. I'm wondering if certain flavors are sensitive to certain climates? All my other flavors I smoke have acclimated within 4 hours, if not sooner. [/quote] Sounds like it *could* be humidity shock... Keep trying it for a couple more days. If it doesn't improve, then stick it in the freezer overnight. Then resume 4/20. Freezing it "resets" it, so to speak, and should allow you to acclimate it properly.[/quote]

There are different opinions about freezing as a means to reset the tobacco. Sometimes it can cause and even greater acclimation shock. The difference between the freezer and your smoking area temperature may be drastically different. You can try it, see if it works, and let us know (of course ;) ).

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1317764787' post='526440']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1317686545' post='526335'][quote name='omegaalpha22' timestamp='1317684677' post='526325'] I've never had problems until now. A week ago, I opened one of my 250gs of Blue Flower, and I started acclimating it. 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4, 20, 4 and it still smells like soy sauce. I'm wondering if certain flavors are sensitive to certain climates? All my other flavors I smoke have acclimated within 4 hours, if not sooner. [/quote] Sounds like it *could* be humidity shock... Keep trying it for a couple more days. If it doesn't improve, then stick it in the freezer overnight. Then resume 4/20. Freezing it "resets" it, so to speak, and should allow you to acclimate it properly.[/quote]

There are different opinions about freezing as a means to reset the tobacco. Sometimes it can cause and even greater acclimation shock. The difference between the freezer and your smoking area temperature may be drastically different. You can try it, see if it works, and let us know (of course ;) ).
[/quote]

Right- Exactly why I only ever recommend it as a last resort kind of option.

[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1317777422' post='526466']
My orange soda needed minimal acclimation time and was pretty much ready to smoke, is that uncommon?
[/quote]

No actually, if your weather is similar to the weather in which the tobacco was packed, then it will be pretty much ready.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1317777921' post='526468']
[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1317777422' post='526466']
My orange soda needed minimal acclimation time and was pretty much ready to smoke, is that uncommon?
[/quote]

No actually, if your weather is similar to the weather in which the tobacco was packed, then it will be pretty much ready.
[/quote]

Not uncommon at all. Like Vendetta said, it has to do with your weather. Mine acclimates the quickest when I have the most consistent weather. Like right now, I'm not much of a fan of Noir because here in TN in the fall some days are hot, then cold. VERY inconsistent. So Noir tends to not cooperate. But in the summer (consistent weather) when I opened up packs of Noir, only a few of them had to be acclimated at all. Was good straight out of the package!

Also, I believe Orange Soda is an easier flavor to acclimate anyway.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1317835725' post='526552']
I usually NEVER have to acclimate. All my tangiers has been ready to smoke out of the package and I have never had a problem with it.
[/quote]

You're also in California.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='omegaalpha22' timestamp='1317843756' post='526579'][quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1317835725' post='526552'] I usually NEVER have to acclimate. All my tangiers has been ready to smoke out of the package and I have never had a problem with it. [/quote] You're also in California.[/quote]

Yeah Mike... QUIT BRAGGIN'!

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1317850490' post='526595']
[quote name='omegaalpha22' timestamp='1317843756' post='526579'][quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1317835725' post='526552'] I usually NEVER have to acclimate. All my tangiers has been ready to smoke out of the package and I have never had a problem with it. [/quote] You're also in California.[/quote]

Yeah Mike... QUIT BRAGGIN'!
[/quote]
hehehe :D

I just wanted to let everyone know about my Tangiers experience. If you've read some of my last replies in this thread (I think it's in this thread) you would see that I was getting wimpy, harsh, not much flavor smoke. I want to say I think it was from the way my friend acclimated it. I just got my batch of Tangiers in yesterday. Though, this batch was Lucid (haven't opened my Noir yet as I left out of town) that I tried. The second I opened it up, I could smell the chocolate cherry. It wasn't as strong of a smell as some users have claimed with Tangiers so I went ahead and let it sit out and stirred it a lil. After 2 hours my room was filled with the sweet smell of chocolate cherry! So I had 2 hours before I left out of town and thought...LET'S TRY THIS!

Well, I ended up doing a few things different with this bowl. I didn't pack it as high in my Crown Micro Bowl (up to the middle hole...always went to the rim and make sure the tobacco wasn't going in the hole). I also got in a new box of CCNs, but this time I got flats. I went and cut a few of them up and placed 3 1/2 pieces on the edge of the bowl. Took a while to start smoking (which was my plan after reading the suggestions everyone gave me). Then, the smoke became thick and flavorful! I haven't had a bowl like that....umm...ever? lol It was great! I had to stop after 2 hours or so and when I cleaned my bowl out, I think it could have kept going for 30-60 minutes!

Now...I can't wait to get home to try out my other flavors and to see if I can get Noir to not be harsh! Argh.....won't be home until Tuesday :(
  • Upvote 1