Tangier's Official Thread.

mushrat

Yes! It's me :) It's quite an honor :)

My idea is that if anyone has any troubleshooting (packing, acclimation, variations in batches, etc) relating to Tangiers you can find it here. Additionally, you will be able to find announcements, news, releases and other Tangiers related information here.

Happy Smoking!

[quote name='spoolinspoon' timestamp='1313955651' post='520722']
I Haz bbq classic raspberry. What to do with it
[/quote]

Acclimate it, 4 hours open stirring every 30 min. Then seal it up for 20 hours and see if the bbq smell is gone. Try this a few times and if it's still doing it toss the open container in the freezer for 2 hours or so and try again. The freezer has 0% humidity so its like taking the tangiers back to 0.

Also, I'll leave this here:

[u][b]HOW TO SMOKE TANGIERS:[/b][/u]

Your guide to success and winning! ^_^

1. Put the shitbrick of Tangiers into a wide, shallow, rectangular tupperware container. Break up the brick thoroughly and level out the tobacco.

2. How does it smell? If it smells like the flavor it should be, then you're most likely good to go. Does it smell like soy sauce or BBQ sauce? It needs to be acclimated then. For acclimation, use the 4/20 method, as this decreases the time the tobacco is open to the air, which can lead to flavor loss. Stir the tobacco in the container, then let it sit for four hours open to the air. Stir every hour or so. Then seal it up for 20 hours. Repeat until it smells right. If it just never smells right after trying this many times, then try the freezer method, which "resets" it if it is in humidity shock. Put the tobacco sealed into the freezer overnight. Then try the 4/20 method again.

3. Time to pack! If it smells right, of course. A legit Tangiers small phunnel is best for beginners. Other bowls will work, but it complicates the whole thing. So my recommendation is get an actual Tangiers phunnel. So what you want to do is pack the tobacco TIGHT, as tight as it comes in the package in its shitbrick form. Don't leave gaps or loose spots in the bowl. I like to press it down with my palm instead of Eric's "foil test," so that way I get a good feel of how tight it is. I like mine just a tad and I mean JUST A TAD below the outer rim of the bowl. The tobacco rises just a bit, mainly because the juices are boiling, so you want to compensate for this. Just have to make sure you don't underpack it. That is the common mistake when packing Tangiers. When in doubt, add more tobacco. Either way, it WILL end up touching the foil in your session. It's just a matter of how much it touches (in my opinion, anyway). Use the palm press method or the foil test method. Or you can look at it this way- make the tobacco flush and level to the edge of the inner spire, so that it is slightly below the outer ridge of the phunnel bowl. This is for legit Tangiers phunnels, as the Chinese knockoffs commonly have inner spires that are too high.

4. Heat. Try to use a low heat coal, as Tangiers is a low-heat tobacco. I recommend Golden Canaries, Fumaris, or Cocomazaya. Golden Canaries and Fumaris are low heat Japanese coals. Perfect for Tangiers. Cocomazaya are coconut cubes that are a bit smaller than most coconut coals that are square or more rectangular. Less surface area in contact with coal = less heat. Either way, start the coals out on the edge. You can then move them in slightly as they die down in size. GCs and Fumaris are a little different. I just have them right at the edge, and 15 minutes or so into the session I add new unlit coals on top of the already-lit ones. Within about 5 minutes, the new coals will be lit. This process is repeated throughout the rest of the session. Note: This method, called "piggybacking," will NOT work with coconut coals, so Cocomazayas , etc.

Practice makes perfect. Just follow these basic guidelines and you will find success. :good2:

[quote name='spoolinspoon' timestamp='1313955651' post='520722']
I Haz bbq classic raspberry. What to do with it
[/quote]

What method of acclimation did you use? Also, did you try to acclimate it during the heat wave? That extreme humidity could have had a lot to do with it. However, I will look into more possibilities.
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1313963920' post='520744']

[u][b]HOW TO SMOKE TANGIERS:[/b][/u]

[/quote]

Thanks, Chris!

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1314116408' post='521008']
I need more blackberry. Someone buy me some. :D
[/quote]
Shit me too black berry is my new favorite tangires flavor that or pineapple unno gonna have to do a smoke showdown