Cali Wants It A Crime To Use Flat Sheets?

The entire thread is about it being a law. Has nothing to do with Stuie mentioning it. And I still say it should not be law. Common sense yes, but still all responsibility has been removed. And it shouldn't be.

'Rani

Oh, I'm sure that's how it started (well, sort of)...but, the discussion didn't stay on topic.

Post #
[b]1. Crazy politicians and hint to iditioc addendum to Labor Code[/b]
2. Crazy politicians wasting time on chips and salsa
3-5. Crazy politicians (post 5 was yours)
6. My post clarifying the misleading information by TheScotsman
7. Nothing added.
8. More clarification
9. Justifications for addendum
10-16. Nothing added.
[b]17. Why is this a law?[/b]
18. Complaint about people complaining
19. Reason for complaining
20. Job has risks, take it or leave it w/ governments removing rights thrown in between
21. Nothing added
22. Progression of safety standards
23. Added retort
[b]24. It shouldn't be a law[/b]

Were we reading the same thread? I agree it probably shouldn't be a law...but, I also believe there should be policies in effect to limit the amount of dangers exposed to workers. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1313624572' post='520268']
Oh, I'm sure that's how it started (well, sort of)...but, the discussion didn't stay on topic.

Post #
[b]1. Crazy politicians and hint to iditioc addendum to Labor Code[/b]
2. Crazy politicians wasting time on chips and salsa
3-5. Crazy politicians (post 5 was yours)
6. My post clarifying the misleading information by TheScotsman
7. Nothing added.
8. More clarification
9. Justifications for addendum
10-16. Nothing added.
[b]17. Why is this a law?[/b]
18. Complaint about people complaining
19. Reason for complaining
20. Job has risks, take it or leave it w/ governments removing rights thrown in between
21. Nothing added
22. Progression of safety standards
23. Added retort
[b]24. It shouldn't be a law[/b]

Were we reading the same thread? I agree it probably shouldn't be a law...but, I also believe there should be policies in effect to limit the amount of dangers exposed to workers.
[/quote]

Policies yes. Laws? No. Now I agree that the human species seems to be lacking somewhat in common sense and failing to take care of both themselves and each other. But the civilization of laws has gone too far and removed both rights and responsibilities and thereby further reduced our common sense. We've gotten emotionally, mentally, and morally lazy. And it's backfiring all over the place. Businesses are being destroyed because of interference like in Mush's case. Sorry, but the law that caused him to close [u]should have never happened[/u]. Because it took away both his right to have a smoking related business and the public's right to use that business. Nanny state is exactly what we're becoming and it has to stop. People have to say "I won't work here if you don't change to fitted sheets", instead of "you're going to jail because you didn't buy fitted sheets".

Most of all, let me give you a minor clue/observation. If you are a minority.... If you are black or hispanic or female in this country you actually have an advantage because you know from birth the system is out to screw you. You don't have the false sense it can, or should, or will be taking care of you. When white males find out after 35 or 40 they're just as screwed as the rest of us, it's too late to do much about it. If you're not a white middle aged lawyer with political aspirations, you have zero power in this country. Until we all get off our collective asses and take responsibility for ourselves, our lives and our livelihoods, we are nothing more than hamsters on a wheel.

'Rani

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1313622852' post='520261']
Actually, your push for the "law" avenue didn't arise until post 17. Actually, that was Stuie's response. Your reply towards Stuie's comment was focused on people complaining about inherent work related injuries. You didn't actually revert to a "it shouldn't be law" agenda until now. It seems as though you may have forgotten(until now) that point entirely.

So, let's go into the law aspect. Do I agree that going to jail for using flat sheets instead of fitted is ridiculous? Yes. Do I believe there should be a standard applied to protect workers. Yes, but....the but comes into the fact that, if there were no standards then a majority of companies would refuse to comply. It is the same reason why the Labor Code includes provisions for wage requirements, sanitary standards, and insurance/security. Why? If given the choice, companies would most likely omit certain policies to save a few dollars.

Ever went out to eat? What if the restaurant wasn't required to maintain a certain level of sanitation? What if they could serve you food that fell on the floor or didn't require employees to wash their hands? They wouldn't tell you about it, because it would cost them business...and for the most part, you'd never be the wiser. These are "rights" that have been taken away from companies, but you're probably glad they are in place.

Now, to speak on the jailtime...it's not specifically target the "sheets" ordeal. However, any violation to standards constitutes a misdemeanor. I'm sure people who are found guilty of breaking the standards will move to reduce it down to an infraction and I'd agree it's more likely an infraction than a misdemeanor...but, those should be handled on a case by case basis. I certainly wouldn't want someone pulling food from a trashcan to save a buck get away with an infraction.

And yes, the government does overstep it's bounds in a lot of cases...I've never said they didn't.
[/quote]

One of the most straight forward and logical posts I have ever seen in the serious discussion forum, very well put.

• 4 weeks later...
Just my two bits regarding safety standards.

I spent one summer being "temp bitch" held lots of 2-week jobs. A lot of them were jobs that you could teach someone in an hour (since I was a temp). One was working in an injection molding plant where they make all sorts of plastic doo-dads. Those machines are LOUD. I got ridiculed when I asked for ear protection and the foreman had a hard time finding me something. I ended up getting some ear plugs on my own (and now carry a set - mainly for too loud movies). So here is where OSHA put in a mandate that "machine operators should wear hearing protection" and the employees didn't care.

OTOH, My last job was customer service (that has its own dangers - LOL). One of the former employees got his/her rocks off by complaing that the company was "failing to provide a safe environment". List of perceived dangers - having to spend too much time on the phone thereby necessitating medical treatment (it was a call center, for cryin' out loud and everyone had headsets), too much perfume or scents (we made it a point to use unscented hand cream, this person had scented stuff), and so forth. So there is going too far the other way also.

end my 2 bits

I think Jay is missing the point that it isn't your elected officials job to be hooting and hollering about hotel maids while the core of your states government is pretty much in the shitter. I also think most people that pay taxes and I mean really pay a lot of taxes (ie they make more than the lower class) don't want to see these shitheads wasting time on relatively unimportant matters.

[quote name='littlec' timestamp='1315645135' post='523302']
I think Jay is missing the point that it isn't your elected officials job to be hooting and hollering about hotel maids while the core of your states government is pretty much in the shitter. I also think most people that pay taxes and I mean really pay a lot of taxes (ie they make more than the lower class) don't want to see these shitheads wasting time on relatively unimportant matters.
[/quote]

That's not how democracy works, ultimately everyone should have equal say regardless of income.

[quote name='littlec' timestamp='1315645135' post='523302']I think Jay is missing the point that it isn't your elected officials job to be hooting and hollering about hotel maids while the core of your states government is pretty much in the shitter. I also think most people that pay taxes and I mean really pay a lot of taxes (ie they make more than the lower class) don't want to see these shitheads wasting time on relatively unimportant matters.[/quote]
No, you need to read earlier. I've even added a breakdown of the specific topics of each post.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1315667497' post='523321']That's not how democracy works, ultimately everyone should have equal say regardless of income.[/quote]
Yep. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315937217' post='523683']
[quote name='littlec' timestamp='1315645135' post='523302']I think Jay is missing the point that it isn't your elected officials job to be hooting and hollering about hotel maids while the core of your states government is pretty much in the shitter. I also think most people that pay taxes and I mean really pay a lot of taxes (ie they make more than the lower class) don't want to see these shitheads wasting time on relatively unimportant matters.[/quote]
No, you need to read earlier. I've even added a breakdown of the specific topics of each post.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1315667497' post='523321']That's not how democracy works, ultimately everyone should have equal say regardless of income.[/quote]
Yep.
[/quote]

The USA is not a democracy. Why can't liberals remember that? It's a REPUBLIC.

Democracy will always fail in a bloody, spectacular fashion. Democracy is mob rule backed by force of arms.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1316015803' post='523829']
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315937217' post='523683']

Yep.
[/quote]

The USA is not a democracy. Why can't liberals remember that? It's a REPUBLIC.

Democracy will always fail in a bloody, spectacular fashion. Democracy is mob rule backed by force of arms.

[/quote]

I think you missed the point. Those who pay more in taxes should not be given more political power.

Calling it a democracy is hardly a liberal error, and its just as much a bureaucracy as it is a republic. Remind me how Rome fell.

Sigh..... If you want to get technical, we are no longer either a republic or a democracy if you check the actual definitions. Remember that little thing called the Electoral College?

Quit with the semantics for heavens sake. We need a new name for our style of government. United States of the Eternally Screwed.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1316037439' post='523890']
[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1316022286' post='523846']
Remind me how Rome fell.
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking...
[/quote]

Despite what the Christian right prefers to believe, Rome fell because it over-extended itself, rather than due to immorality, corruption or bureaucracy. It fought too many wars, expanded the empire at too great a distance, and ended up facing too many combatants on their own soil. It became too large and costly to maintain. It became..... Holy Crap, just like us! Yeah, just like we are now. And now just as then, it was a jackass Senate who thought they could keep a handle on all of it without it ever coming back to bite them in the ass.

You wanna save the country? Tar and feathers, I'm telling you.....Tar and feathers.

'Rani

Problem is though if we stand up and try to have a revolution, they'll just shoot us dead in the streets... So what are we to do? I think the fall of the United States is inevitable, and is coming a lot sooner than most people think. Call my unpatriotic; I call it common sense.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1316043680' post='523908']
Problem is though if we stand up and try to have a revolution, they'll just shoot us dead in the streets... So what are we to do? I think the fall of the United States is inevitable, and is coming a lot sooner than most people think. Call my unpatriotic; I call it common sense.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call it unpatriotic. I would agree it's inevitable. Everything that lives must die, including empires. I suspect the next step is a global empire that will evolve. And I don't think it's wrong to call it the "advance of the evil empire", because essentially that's what it will be. A modern version of Czarist Russia where there will be the super wealthy "corporate nobility", and near slavery for the rest of us. I don't see how it can go any other way at this point. The globalists are all ready running things and taking advantage of 3rd world conditions across the planet. Raping and pillaging the earth itself with no regard for plants, animals, or humans. I simply can't see any window of survival left. It's closing every narrower each day.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1316023448' post='523853']
Sigh..... If you want to get technical, we are no longer either a republic or a democracy if you check the actual definitions. Remember that little thing called the Electoral College?

Quit with the semantics for heavens sake. We need a new name for our style of government. United States of the Eternally Screwed.

'Rani
[/quote]

A new name! This could be a contest!

I vote for screwocracy, or a crapublic. used interchangeably.

I dont know why I even bothered posting in here. I swear every thread winds up spiraling down to:

Scotsman: All liberals are nutjobs
Rani: All politicians are nutjobs
Chris: 9/11 was an inside job and it wouldnt have happened if we had a three party system. ZOMG we are going to have a zombie apocalypse.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1316060067' post='523945']
I dont know why I even bothered posting in here. I swear every thread winds up spiraling down to:

Chris: 9/11 was an inside job and it wouldnt have happened if we had a three party system. ZOMG we are going to have a zombie apocalypse.
[/quote]

Yes, well, when we're right, we're right!

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

[/quote]

:lol_hitting:

I'm getting LASIK this January so that I'm prepared for when the zombie apocalypse hits and I'd no longer be able to get new glasses or contacts. ;)
  • Upvote 1

[/quote]

[img]http://www.gunpundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/preparedness.jpg[/img]

Sanity is over rated. BRING IT ON BABY!!!!!!!!!!