Cali Wants It A Crime To Use Flat Sheets?

No wonder the state is going broke! This is what you elect people to make laws about.
I saw a blurb about this on the local news, just had to go see if it was real, and it, to my complete amazement, is.

Naturally it's introduced by dem
Anyone sick of the democrats nanny-state yet?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_432_bill_20110216_introduced.html

" (1) The use of a fitted sheet, instead of a flat sheet, as the
bottom sheet on all beds within the lodging establishment. For the
purpose of this section, a "fitted sheet" means a bed sheet
containing elastic or similar material sewn into each of the four
corners that allows the sheet to stay in place over the mattress."

And it's a crime to use a flat sheet!!!!
If I understand cali penal code, up to a year for negligent use of flat sheets.

..."Under existing law, a knowing or
negligent violation of any standard is a misdemeanor..."

You gotta be out of your mind to vote for these jackasses.

Heard someone mention this today. Really? Do they have nothing better to do with their time?

Reminds me when the Texas Legislature spent 2 weeks debating making "Chips and Salsa" the official snack food of Texas.

We didn't elect you people for this kind of crap.

FIX OUR SCHOOLS AND ROADS FIRST! HOW ABOUT SOME FREAKING STATEWIDE MASS TRANSIT LIKE JAPAN!!!

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1313470568' post='519978']
Heard someone mention this today. Really? Do they have nothing better to do with their time?

Reminds me when the Texas Legislature spent 2 weeks debating making "Chips and Salsa" the official snack food of Texas.

FIX OUR SCHOOLS AND ROADS FIRST! HOW ABOUT SOME FREAKING STATEWIDE MASS TRANSIT LIKE JAPAN!!!
[/quote]

Japan just recalled their bullet trains for safety concerns. No shit.

And Its not just Dems I'm afraid. The Smoking ban in nc was Bipartisan.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1313499157' post='520009']
[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1313470568' post='519978']

[/quote]

And Its not just Dems I'm afraid. The Smoking ban in nc was Bipartisan.
[/quote]

Nope, not just Dems, and not just in California. The politicians have all lost their damn minds. I have two thoughts for the lot of them. Cement boots. Lake Michigan.

Note to Self: Send another "are you stupid or what" letter to Sacramento before the end of the week.

'Rani

I don't really understand what the big deal is? So, they're setting a standard within the hospitality industry. Sounds good to me.

I would imagine it would either ease or streamline health/safety inspections. Included in that bill is a mandate to use long handled brooms/mops so that employees are no longer required to kneel or get on their hands/knees to scrub floors.

Additionally, purpose of the bill was to ensure they mandate the standard whilst requiring no funding from the state itself. Seems like a good plan to SAVE money. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1313499157' post='520009']
[/quote]

From the Earthquake and Tsunamis in March?

I've also done a quick search and it looks like the bill was proposed by the hotel worker's union. Their chief complaint was that flat sheets required mattresses to be lifted in order to make the beds properly. This results in strained backs, etc etc. The California Hotel Groups association is actually opposed to the bill because it would cost the hotel companies between 30 - 50 million dollars to replace the sheets and purchase new equipment to process fitted sheet cleaning.

Damn California for looking out for the little guys. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1313523447' post='520059']
I don't really understand what the big deal is? So, they're setting a standard within the hospitality industry. Sounds good to me.

I would imagine it would either ease or streamline health/safety inspections. Included in that bill is a mandate to use long handled brooms/mops so that employees are no longer required to kneel or get on their hands/knees to scrub floors.

Additionally, purpose of the bill was to ensure they mandate the standard whilst requiring no funding from the state itself. Seems like a good plan to SAVE money.
[/quote]

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1313524102' post='520061']
I've also done a quick search and it looks like the bill was proposed by the hotel worker's union. Their chief complaint was that flat sheets required mattresses to be lifted in order to make the beds properly. This results in strained backs, etc etc. The California Hotel Groups association is actually opposed to the bill because it would cost the hotel companies between 30 - 50 million dollars to replace the sheets and purchase new equipment to process fitted sheet cleaning.

Damn California for looking out for the little guys.
[/quote]

Exactly, it also saves more than 800 workmans comp claims for back injuries resulting from lifting mattresses. The bill also requires either a machine or extra staff to help nurses lift their patients. Damn those democrats for helping nurses and housekeepers from being hurt. Before everyone says WTF thats retarded I recommend you actually READ the article. Not just say omg there so stupid.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1313525686' post='520063']
[quote name='cotsi95' timestamp='1313524657' post='520062']
Not just say omg there so stupid.
[/quote]

they're*

hahahahaha.
[/quote]

Thanks I didn't realize I had JAYCHECK on.

health and safety inspections, you gotta be kidding me.

What is the CDC numbers for bed bug infestation?? As much as 45% of hotels. And you want to make it easier for the bedbugs to hide in something? Ya, that makes a whole load of sense. Bulky sheets with a natural hiding place for bugs/fungus, cysts, spores, whatever else wants to hide in that nice premade insect safehouse is just plain silly. Lazy hotel staff, and low temps in laundry will not kill bed bugs. They can survive mild bleach, and most detergents-the only hope is that the buggers can't hang onto the fabric. It seems flat sheets make the most sense. Or didn't that stupid excuse for a politician think of that?

The law is proposed so the housekeeping (read illegal immigrants) don't get a sore back. If they can't make a damn bed, they need to go home. It's bad enough they pinch anything you don't nail to the floor, now they want to whine about how much work it is? Since when is their sore back more important than stemming what the CDC is calling a public health epidemic?

It is both sides, but the really weird nanny-state stuff seems (at least to me) to be more dem sponsored.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1313525833' post='520067']
health and safety inspections, you gotta be kidding me.

What is the CDC numbers for bed bug infestation?? As much as 45% of hotels. And you want to make it easier for the bedbugs to hide in something? Ya, that makes a whole load of sense. Bulky sheets with a natural hiding place for bugs/fungus, cysts, spores, whatever else wants to hide in that nice premade insect safehouse is just plain silly. [b]Lazy hotel staff[/b], and low temps in laundry will not kill bed bugs. They can survive mild bleach, and most detergents-the only hope is that the buggers can't hang onto the fabric. It seems flat sheets make the most sense. [b]Or didn't that stupid excuse for a politician think of that?[/b]

The law is proposed so the housekeeping (read[b] illegal immigrants[/b]) don't get a sore back. [b] If they can't make a damn bed, they need to go home[/b]. [b] It's bad enough they pinch anything you don't nail to the floor[/b], now they want to whine about how much work it is? Since when is their sore back more important than stemming what the CDC is calling a public health epidemic?

It is both sides, but the really weird nanny-state stuff seems (at least to me) to be more dem sponsored.
[/quote]

Your insults make it difficult to take anything you say seriously. I do not understand how you villainize the workers, (regardless of their citizenship status) and yet defend the companies that hire these people.

I know my personal experience is limited but having worked with first generation immigrants both in day labor positions and factory packing jobs, lazy is the last word I would use to describe them.

[b]health and safety inspections, you gotta be kidding me.

[/b]What is the CDC numbers for bed bug infestation?? As much as 45% of hotels. And you want to make it easier for the bedbugs to hide in something? Ya, that makes a whole load of sense. Bulky sheets with a natural hiding place for bugs/fungus, cysts, spores, whatever else wants to hide in that nice premade insect safehouse is just plain silly. Lazy hotel staff, and low temps in laundry will not kill bed bugs. They can survive mild bleach, and most detergents-the only hope is that the buggers can't hang onto the fabric. It seems flat sheets make the most sense. Or didn't that stupid excuse for a politician think of that?

The law is proposed so the housekeeping (read illegal immigrants) don't get a sore back. If they can't make a damn bed, they need to go home. It's bad enough they pinch anything you don't nail to the floor, now they want to whine about how much work it is? Since when is their sore back more important than stemming what the CDC is calling a public health epidemic?

[/quote]
You failed to read the whole thing....common pattern, I'm beginning to notice.

The health/safety inspection was my [b][i][u]guess [/u][/i][/b]as to the purpose of the bill, however...in the later post, I gave you the real reasoning behind the bill.

Also, like Jess said...your stereotyping and ignorance is making it near impossible to take you seriously.

I'm sure my points have been made. Nice try though. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1313527312' post='520073']
[b]health and safety inspections, you gotta be kidding me.

[/b]What is the CDC numbers for bed bug infestation?? As much as 45% of hotels. And you want to make it easier for the bedbugs to hide in something? Ya, that makes a whole load of sense. Bulky sheets with a natural hiding place for bugs/fungus, cysts, spores, whatever else wants to hide in that nice premade insect safehouse is just plain silly. Lazy hotel staff, and low temps in laundry will not kill bed bugs. They can survive mild bleach, and most detergents-the only hope is that the buggers can't hang onto the fabric. It seems flat sheets make the most sense. Or didn't that stupid excuse for a politician think of that?

[/quote]
You failed to read the whole thing....common pattern, I'm beginning to notice.

The health/safety inspection was my [b][i][u]guess [/u][/i][/b]as to the purpose of the bill, however...in the later post, I gave you the real reasoning behind the bill.

Also, like Jess said...your stereotyping and ignorance is making it near impossible to take you seriously.

I'm sure my points have been made. Nice try though.
[/quote]

Notice how he also didn't mention anything about the Nurse's that are helped by this law or the fact that it will lower workmans comp claims that will HELP these companies from paying out money. But wait that's a REPUBLICAN value...you know the "job creators" aka the people that don't pay taxes.

We need a law for this though?

Wade don't fool yourself, A two party system has one goal: to enslave it's people. One group takes the left path, the other the right, all ends at the same place.

[i]"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissention, which in different ages & countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders & miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security & repose in the absolute power of an Individual: and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty."[/i] — George Washington, September 19, 1796

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1313531496' post='520088']

Wade don't fool yourself, A two party system has one goal: to enslave it's people. One group takes the left path, the other the right, all ends at the same place.

[i]"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissention, which in different ages & countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders & miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security & repose in the absolute power of an Individual: and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty."[/i] — George Washington, September 19, 1796
[/quote]

This would be the truth. Unusual coming a guy, but there it is. If you can't lift a mattress, why are you working as a hotel maid? I work in construction, more specifically in plumbing, heating and HVAC as a sub-trade. I may be a paper pusher in the industry, but every single plumber has bad knees and bad back from the job. Ask any one of them and they will tell you it just comes with the job. Maybe we should ban all CEO's from playing golf then. [u][b]You do what comes with the job, or you find another job.[/b][/u]

'Rani

EDIT: Holy crap the end of the world is approaching..... I'm agreeing with the Rabid Rightie in the boonies again.

That's your justification? "It comes with the job?"

Granted, jobs have their inherent problems, however...if there's something you want to change, then speak up. Well, it just so happens that the hotel workers union spoke up. And they should be faulted for that?

So, basically people should just take all the shit that comes with their job? To be honest, that's just idiotic. If you're qualified to do the job and can pose a good argument for reducing hazards in the workcenter, then why not bring it up.

Hell, there are probably thousands of companies/organizations that have programs dedicated to identifying and remediating workcenter hazards. The military is one of them.

In prior deployments, some service branches were sent out without kevlar (to receive them downrange) ...eventually, someone said "Hey, if we're going into hostile territory from the start...shouldn't we get kevlar at home station?" So, you would tell them, "Well, if you can't wait to get kevlar downrange...find a new job."

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1313532228' post='520096']
I work in construction, more specifically in plumbing, heating and HVAC as a sub-trade. I may be a paper pusher in the industry, but every single plumber has bad knees and bad back from the job. Ask any one of them and they will tell you it just comes with the job.[/quote]
And I bet if you ask anyone of them, "Hey, I have an idea that can prevent or lessen your injuries. Do you mind if I try to make it happen?" I doubt a lot of them would say, "Nah, I'm good. I like having the bad knees and bad back." Edited by Arcane

Okay, Arcane, so maybe I didn't put it well, but really, when do we start taking care of ourselves? When do we start making rational choices for ourselves, our lives and our livelihood? If you really, really don't want to get shot at, then I'm thinking you don't go in the military. Or live in South Central L.A. for that matter. At some point we have to take some responsibility for making choices we can live with. You are ALWAYS the answer. People are vacating their right to make choices by giving over more and more control to government entities. That's how we ended up not being able to smoke in public in California. We couldn't just post smoking establishments as such, nope we gotta go and ban the whole thing. Seriously, if you don't like what comes with the job, [u]do another job.[/u] Don't go into it and then expect everything including the government to get involved and change it for you. Because in case you haven't noticed, they'll change it for you right out of existence. Ask Mush how that whole "public health" worked out for him and his livelihood, and then get back to me.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1313532228' post='520096']
[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1313531496' post='520088']

[/quote]

This would be the truth. Unusual coming a guy, but there it is. If you can't lift a mattress, why are you working as a hotel maid? I work in construction, more specifically in plumbing, heating and HVAC as a sub-trade. I may be a paper pusher in the industry, but every single plumber has bad knees and bad back from the job. Ask any one of them and they will tell you it just comes with the job. Maybe we should ban all CEO's from playing golf then. [u][b]You do what comes with the job, or you find another job.[/b][/u]

'Rani

EDIT: Holy crap the end of the world is approaching..... I'm agreeing with the Rabid Rightie in the boonies again.
[/quote]

I am not a Rabid Rightie, I do tend to side with the right more often than not, More Libertarian.... the boonies, You high and mighty Cali's always dumping on us Texans.

I think you put it quite well.

That's just it. They did stick up for themselves and take the responsibility into their own hands. Do you think the government would really bother with this agenda if nobody spoke up? Did you forget it with the hotel workers union who brought this up initially?

I don't think it's the unwillingness to accept the job hazards, but if you can mitigate them to allow you to do your job better...then why is that a problem. I'm sure those who are in the front lines would rather not be shot at, but accept that it's part of their job. However, if the government or similar entity can allow you to receive incoming fire and press on(i.e. taking it in the kevlar)...isn't that a good thing? If it's progression towards efficiency and safety, it will benefit not only those who are currently doing the job but those who take on the profession in the future.

What about health insurance or disability? Those weren't around all the time. Should those who performed their job and received injuries, just be left with a pat on the back? "Yeah, thanks for serving your country. Sorry you lost your legs. Here's a certificate of appreciation. Good luck with the rest of your life." or "Yeah, he was on scaffolding and fell 10 stories. Sorry, but that's just part of the job. Have a cookie."

Ok, they probably wouldn't offer the cookie...but, still...it's people who are holding their representatives to their ultimate mission, "to serve the people."

And if you want to push Mush's situation in the middle of this (sorry Mush, I didn't want to drag you into this)....do you think, if nobody stood up for the anti-smoking ban, the state legislation would say, "Well, nobody's opposed to this bill...let's just deny it then."

Yeah, nice try.

I commend Mush on his efforts, but unfortunately his voice wasn't as loud as his opposition. Wouldn't you think if the sides were let's say 50:1 in favor of denying the ban...it'd end up differently?

The point is that it shouldn't be LAW. You're talking jail time! You really, really want more people in jail over sheets? Come on, Arcane get a grip. We have laws on the book that never should have been put there in the first place. Twenty years from now you're going possibly be in the position to wonder why you're in jail over something equally ridiculous. And Mush's situation is the perfect example of the system running amok. If you don't like a smokey environment, go to a "non smoking" establishment! Meanwhile the right of people to actually choose has been taken away. Or have you missed that point entirely?????

Stuie, I was referring to Scotsman as the Rabid Rightie in the boonies. Minnesota is the boonies. Texas is just too damn close to "Bush League". You're actually closer to a moderate like me from our past conversations.

'Rani

"People who believe it's okay to take away [u]anyone's[/u] right to choose has never had their own taken from them."

Who said that? Me.

Actually, your push for the "law" avenue didn't arise until post 17. Actually, that was Stuie's response. Your reply towards Stuie's comment was focused on people complaining about inherent work related injuries. You didn't actually revert to a "it shouldn't be law" agenda until now. It seems as though you may have forgotten(until now) that point entirely.

So, let's go into the law aspect. Do I agree that going to jail for using flat sheets instead of fitted is ridiculous? Yes. Do I believe there should be a standard applied to protect workers. Yes, but....the but comes into the fact that, if there were no standards then a majority of companies would refuse to comply. It is the same reason why the Labor Code includes provisions for wage requirements, sanitary standards, and insurance/security. Why? If given the choice, companies would most likely omit certain policies to save a few dollars.

Ever went out to eat? What if the restaurant wasn't required to maintain a certain level of sanitation? What if they could serve you food that fell on the floor or didn't require employees to wash their hands? They wouldn't tell you about it, because it would cost them business...and for the most part, you'd never be the wiser. These are "rights" that have been taken away from companies, but you're probably glad they are in place.

Now, to speak on the jailtime...it's not specifically target the "sheets" ordeal. However, any violation to standards constitutes a misdemeanor. I'm sure people who are found guilty of breaking the standards will move to reduce it down to an infraction and I'd agree it's more likely an infraction than a misdemeanor...but, those should be handled on a case by case basis. I certainly wouldn't want someone pulling food from a trashcan to save a buck get away with an infraction.

And yes, the government does overstep it's bounds in a lot of cases...I've never said they didn't. Edited by Arcane
  • Upvote 2