Flavor Enhancers

I was reading about how people are making their own tobacco and herbal shisha mixes and a thought came to my mind. I found these candy flavorings at the grocery store, their are Propelene Glycol and natural flavors. I started experimenting with them. I found that putting it in the base does nothing but mixing it into your tobacco or sprinkling it on top greatly enhances the flavor! I wouldn't put it on something that you are already happy with but if you have some dead or mild shisha, it definitely kicks up the taste! Anyone else try this?

[quote name='Scrappydoo' timestamp='1313125149' post='519595']
I was reading about how people are making their own tobacco and herbal shisha mixes and a thought came to my mind. I found these candy flavorings at the grocery store, their are Propelene Glycol and natural flavors. I started experimenting with them. I found that putting it in the base does nothing but mixing it into your tobacco or sprinkling it on top greatly enhances the flavor! I wouldn't put it on something that you are already happy with but if you have some dead or mild shisha, it definitely kicks up the taste! Anyone else try this?

[/quote]

OOps, I forgot the pic. Here is the stuff I used.

I'll have to see if I can find any of this stuff locally. Wonder how expensive it is around here.

I also remember reading somewhere that unsweetened kool-aid mix works as well, I picked some of that up and intend to investigate.

My first thought when reading the title of this thread was 'is someone thinking of adding E621 (M.S.G. - Mono Sodium Glutamate)! to get a more 'full flavor' out of their tobacco?'

Before mixing any additive with your tobacco, I would definitely suggest doing some research on the safety of the particular chemical. I imagine some may produce toxic fumes (benzene, for example) when heated to hookah temps.

[quote name='Plex' timestamp='1313126962' post='519600']
My first thought when reading the title of this thread was 'is someone thinking of adding E621 (M.S.G. - Mono Sodium Glutamate)! to get a more 'full flavor' out of their tobacco?'

Before mixing any additive with your tobacco, I would definitely suggest doing some research on the safety of the particular chemical. I imagine some may produce toxic fumes (benzene, for example) when heated to hookah temps.
[/quote]

I believe it is the same chemicals that are used to flavor the tobacco. I'll double check, though!

[quote name='angekfire' timestamp='1313126731' post='519599']
I'll have to see if I can find any of this stuff locally. Wonder how expensive it is around here.

I also remember reading somewhere that unsweetened kool-aid mix works as well, I picked some of that up and intend to investigate.
[/quote]

COOL! WHen you do add your results here! :)

I've used agave nectar to revive a bowl before. It added a bit of a sweeter taste to it, but it was really good. I think you could probably also use it for it's flavor, just have to be careful not to make the shisha too moist with it.

Propylene glycol is the stuff used in E-Cigarettes to make smoke, so there's a fair chance it will work.

[quote name='ezxen' timestamp='1313129357' post='519603']
Katie (cyote) posted something similar about candy oils
[/quote]

I saw her post, finally, thanks! I think it's a same stuff!