Ron Paul

Chreees

I've been watching videos on YouTube of Ron Paul for the past couple hours. I gotta say, he sounds exactly like the president we need right now. I understand why he calls himself a Republican, but he definitely is not a modern Republican.

He just... makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBzDJdOvbZk&feature=related

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1312158557' post='517975']
is this that guy that has the show about drag queens called "drag race"?
[/quote]

Iain-

[IMG]http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/Makta_JSP/Boxxy_yous_trollin.jpg[/IMG]

(That's Ru Paul, and don't ask me how I know that)

I voted for him in the primaries in 08, But he unfortunatly did not make the cut. I think him, or his son are running in 2012, maybe both are. But yea, I went on about him a little bit in the debt cieling thread also. He is an awesome guy

Are these the videos where he's talking about being an MD and the healthcare industry, in which he specialized in and has more than a layman's understanding of?

Or are these the videos where he espouses emotion and controversy to conceal his limited understanding of complexities others have devoted themselves to understanding?

He's an idealist when the country needs a pragmatist. He thinks he's an economist but he can't understand specialization and trade (or comparative advantage).
  • Upvote 4

[quote name='Dr. B' timestamp='1312186675' post='518069']
Are these the videos where he's talking about being an MD and the healthcare industry, in which he specialized in and has more than a layman's understanding of?

Or are these the videos where he espouses emotion and controversy to conceal his limited understanding of complexities others have devoted themselves to understanding?

He's an idealist when the country needs a pragmatist. He thinks he's an economist but he can't understand specialization and trade (or comparative advantage).
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better.

I've been pulling for RP since he was running for 08'. Haters gonna hate, but I tell you one thing, He doesn't fall for Giuliani's or anyone else's mud throwing tactics. He sticks to his guns, and doesn't let the zeitgeist strategy people pull on him time and time again get to him. I also find his answers to be full of emotion, and information, despite how others find him to have a lack of understanding. There will always be a large group of people resisting the types of change he's willing to put foruth (or should I say, a return from the changes we've had)

Also, he's a Democrat's favorite republican (Rani, eh, eh??? ;]), and seems to have an extremely well sense of balance.

What I can say about his crazy ass son Rand, is not as nice. Lol.

My dream ticket might be Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. Wierd as that may sound they have sponsored bills together. When you look at the field, there's really nothing out there that excites. Obama, for some reason can't govern, whether its a lack of cojones or Republican interference,he raises serious questions as to whether I want to see around another 4 years. This debt crisis is wholly manufactured for political reasons. Congress has already passed the budget, now they are saying they won't allow the President to spend the money they ordered him to spend. Stupid,our credibility is in doubt and this strengthens the hand of the Chinese and others to create a new world trading currency. It borders on treason.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Bump. It's seeming to me like we need Ron Paul more and more, now than ever... While I do not agree with everything he says, a lot of it just seems like it makes sense and would be necessary to actually pull us out of this funk. At least he has a plan. And it ain't no "999 plan" which would end up doing more harm than good.

Reasons I like Ron Paul:

-He actually HAS a plan (and can explain it) to cut $1 trillion in the FIRST YEAR. This FOCUSES on spending cuts, not taxes.
-He promises to NEVER raise the debt ceiling again, which would force politicians to spend more wisely.
-Would drive down oil prices by allowing offshore drilling, abolish highway motor fuel taxes, increase mileage reimbursement rates, and offering tax credits to individuals and businesses who for the use and production of natural gas vehicles (HELLO, why hasn't this already been happening?!).
-Would end all unnecessary regulations on small businesses, thus allowing them more room to thrive.
-Would veto any unbalanced budget from Congress.
-Acknowledges what Reagan said in his memoir- Reagan sent troops into Lebanon but pulled them out because he determined that because of the irrational Middle Eastern politics, that there was just no way to succeed. Um, hello?! Times haven't changed...
-Which brings me to my next point... He would end ALL foreign wars. Yes, even the little ones Obama has started, and the big ones Bush started. We would gtfo, and instead worry about our own house first. FIRST AND ONLY presidential nominee I've heard say this, and I gotta say, it has me quite excited, because I feel that's exactly what we should do, BECAUSE of what Reagan determined in the 80s. Also, Paul acknowledges wars such as Vietnam, and how they just never end and end up hurting us, Middle America.
-Taxes... Boy does he have a lot to say on taxes (I like how detailed he gets, unlike the other candidates). Just read this, his plan: http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/taxes/
-For national defense, I would just end up copying this whole thing, so here's his plan: http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/national-defense/
-He doesn't agree with the Wall Street bailouts.

That's all I can think of for now. Will probably post more points later.

Well and good (miz cynical here), but once he gets elected, how much you wanna bet 99 44/100 of it doesn't happen. People can say what they want on the trail, but actually making changes the "good ol' boys" (be they Dems or GOP) are going to fight.

Yeah, but hopefully he could get some of it passed. I know he wouldn't be able to get a lot of it done. I believe him a lot more than other politicians. Like, I believe he will actually fight for it and try his hardest to get it done. Unlike Obama who promised a lot, and has "compromised" too much with Republicans (I would call it being a pushover). But that's the problem with Democrats- they're pushovers. They have no spine. Republicans are typically too aggressive and are unwilling to compromise. Ron Paul doesn't seem to fit either of those categories, and I like that.

[quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1319126151' post='528443']
Well and good (miz cynical here), but once he gets elected, how much you wanna bet 99 44/100 of it doesn't happen. People can say what they want on the trail, but actually making changes the "good ol' boys" (be they Dems or GOP) are going to fight.
[/quote]

This is actually what happened with Obama, and while we might blame him for his lack of fortitude and accomplish what he promised, I remember he'd moved into the White House by about a week, and everyone on both sides of the aisle boasted about how he was going to learn how politics were really done in Washington. That doesn't mean he's blameless - he should have kicked ass and taken names and no one could have stopped him because he was the golden boy of a generation. But instead he tried to play the game and got his own ass buried as a result. So while Ron Paul may have the absolute best of intentions, and greatest of ideas, even so changing things in government seemed very close to impossible. Unless you're willing to just plain nuke the place and start over.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1319126771' post='528446']
[quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1319126151' post='528443']
[/quote]

This is actually what happened with Obama, and while we might blame him for his lack of fortitude and accomplish what he promised, I remember he'd moved into the White House by about a week, and everyone on both sides of the aisle boasted about how he was going to learn how politics were really done in Washington. That doesn't mean he's blameless - he should have kicked ass and taken names and no one could have stopped him because he was the golden boy of a generation. But instead he tried to play the game and got his own ass buried as a result. So while Ron Paul may have the absolute best of intentions, and greatest of ideas, even so changing things in government seemed very close to impossible. Unless you're willing to just plain nuke the place and start over.

'Rani
[/quote]

Yeah, I had high hopes for Obama. Why I voted for him. But he just got bought out like the rest of them.

Paul seems to genuinely care and will ACTUALLY try his hardest to follow through on his campaign promises, not just allow himself to be pushed over once/if elected. I feel as though he thinks he has a clearly defined plan to get this country back on track, and he will try his hardest to persuade both parties that it is what needs to be done. That's more than I can say about any of the other guys standing on the stage.

Another thing I like about him is that he predicted the recession we have gotten ourselves into. Oops, I mean that the politicians got us into. To me, that shows he's actually pretty darn good at economics...

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1319145287' post='528497']
he dresses like a girl and has over-the-top make-up while doing it. i cant deal with that in office
[/quote]

Why don't you stop watching drag queen reality TV and start caring about your future? ;)

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1319155596' post='528519']
it's not my fault you are voting for him/her, chris
[/quote]

*sigh*

And I didn't say I was voting for him. I don't know who I'll vote for still. It may be best for me to not vote at all. I have plenty of time to decide.

Yeah I'd consider voting for him if he'd be more active as a legislator, but he's changed a bit over the years. To be fair, he has held his ground on a lot of his stances but on major platforms there have been some huge shifts, probably most radically on immigration. I mean, when he ran over 20 years ago on the Libertarian ticket, I'd have voted then, but he's come a long way since. Now he's drag racing around and whatnot, now I don't see anything wrong with the way he's living his life and it's not my place to judge, but as a voter, I'd like to see him at least commit to a gender without flip-flopping.

[quote name='Fusion ' timestamp='1319158507' post='528527']
Yeah I'd consider voting for him if he'd be more active as a legislator, but he's changed a bit over the years. To be fair, he has held his ground on a lot of his stances but on major platforms there have been some huge shifts, probably most radically on immigration. I mean, when he ran over 20 years ago on the Libertarian ticket, I'd have voted then, but he's come a long way since. Now he's drag racing around and whatnot, now I don't see anything wrong with the way he's living his life and it's not my place to judge, but as a voter, I'd like to see him at least commit to a gender without flip-flopping.
[/quote]
:rofl2:

[quote name='Fusion ' timestamp='1319158507' post='528527']
[/quote]

im glad someone else sees the validity of my previous posts. if he is going to flip flop on his gender, who knows what policies he will flip-flop on in office!