What Is The Point Of The Ban Threads?

[quote name='Dereksd' timestamp='1311909867' post='517561']
haha im bored with this per usual.
[/quote]

You know Derek, up until this point I hadn't had anthing against you in this thread. But if I'm going to take the time to write out a post clearly defending the other side of this debate without any personal stabs at you, and then you say "Haha I'm both with this" I can't take you seriosuly anymore. I wasn't here to argue with you or anyone else. The least you could do is show some respect and give quality answers to the people who give you the same respect for quality rebuttals. But hey, we can't all be versed in debates.

[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/forum/16-tradesfor-sale/"]http://www.hookahforum.com/forum/16-tradesfor-sale/[/url]

^^^Go home Derek, they miss you.^^^

Michael definitely is taking shots at said forum with his comments. Regardless of what Derek said, its still out of line and neither of them contributed much to the topic at hand.

I started it? You are kinda reaching out with that one my friend. My suggestion/inquiry has absolutely nothing to do with the forum that was being "bashed". Just because a forum you guys don't get along with does their bans/suspensions the way I have suggested doesn't mean it copying them. Its a better idea in my opinion, and many other forums do it that way. But, as stated, we all have our opinions. But the claim you made has no real case behind it.

Its an issue now because it kind of irks me to see people talking down on other when they can't even defend themselves. I;ve been guilty of it in the past, but maybe I have just grown up. Method may have had it coming (I know he gets on peoples bad sides A LOT it seems...) but people coming in and saying "I never liked the guy..." is kind of pointless. This is by no means defending him or his actions, as I am sure he deserved the ban. But still.

[/quote]

Does this mean you are leaving? Because that would make me happy. Maybe we could even make a thread about you, saying goodbye. With silly pictures. That would be fun. Shit you can even participate in it. :)

[quote name='mitchard' timestamp='1311910565' post='517567']
[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1311910460' post='517566']
he knew i didn't like him........
[/quote]

I guess you are the exception. At least you were keeping it real. :P
[/quote]

it's what i do lol

[quote name='mitchard' timestamp='1311910278' post='517563']
Michael definitely is taking shots at said forum with his comments. Regardless of what Derek said, its still out of line and neither of them contributed much to the topic at hand.

I started it? You are kinda reaching out with that one my friend. My suggestion/inquiry has absolutely nothing to do with the forum that was being "bashed". Just because a forum you guys don't get along with does their bans/suspensions the way I have suggested doesn't mean it copying them. Its a better idea in my opinion, and many other forums do it that way. But, as stated, we all have our opinions. But the claim you made has no real case behind it.

Its an issue now because it kind of irks me to see people talking down on other when they can't even defend themselves. I;ve been guilty of it in the past, but maybe I have just grown up. Method may have had it coming (I know he gets on peoples bad sides A LOT it seems...) but people coming in and saying "I never liked the guy..." is kind of pointless. This is by no means defending him or his actions, as I am sure he deserved the ban. But still.
[/quote]

I contributed to the thread by saying I didn't agree with what you were saying. I started taking shots when Derek posted...

[quote name='Dereksd' timestamp='1311910767' post='517570']
have at it michael im sure one is already around for you kid
[/quote]

A thread about me? I know for a fact there is. When did I deny that? Pulled that one out of your butt didn't ya.

[quote name='mitchard' timestamp='1311911586' post='517574']
Congratulations on ruining my thread, assholes. I'd like to publicly announce that I hate both of you.
:fuckyou:
[/quote]

Thanks for the middle finger. May I announce. I have no problem with you Mitchard. I simply also shared my opinion on this thread. Derek then crossed the line with his post, therefor, I responded. Sorry for jacking your thread.

funny how 2 guys who live on RHF suddenly show up here cause they don't like Ban threads? Really?
So we throw people out instead of giving them their own private forum and chat for breaking the rules. Remember, unlike other places where customers come before rules, here we don't care if you stay or go really. :)

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1311909267' post='517559']
It seems my post landed in the middle of the thread, and not as a new post... Lemme try again.

We all know the saying, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and everyone thinks the others stinks." Well, I can say I have a pretty big asshole and plan to let ya'll smell it.

A few thoughts after reading all the posts...

1. I haven't been around as long as some of you, but I can say one thing for sure, it's pretty easy to see the personality of this forum. We joke, and have a good time. However, we also take our rules seriously. It's not like we run around giving people cavity searches, we just expect people to follow the important "and few of them, might I add" rules. Not only this, but unless a blatent disregard for the rules has been shown, we give a second chance nine times out of 10. I myself had been suspended due to NHT reference within my first month of joining. Mush emailed me very punctually, telling me it was obvious I hadn't read the rules (which I hadn't). There was a ban thread on me. It was funny. I learned a few things from that experience:

- Mods and Admins(Lol Admin) on this forum are understanding. Quick on the draw, definantly. Letting things slide? No. But they do understand.
- I was pleased to see people make fun f my suspention. Why might you ask? Because had it been serious, with a written repremand and everyone was hush hush about it, it would have scared me away.
- Seeing ban threads then showed me that it was a common occurance, and that I wasn't the first one to have this happen to. Anyone with a spine and sense of humor will shake it off, learn a lesson, laugh at themselves and move on.

2. The corrolation between bans and suspensions is very very clear. Suspensions are letting a member know that they fucked up, and are welcome back after an understanding of the rules. As for the bans, nearly every time someone is banned, they deserve it. It's not the breaking of the rules, it's the fact that they didn't care enough about the forum to follow the rules. There was no consideration for how the forum runs, and it's disrespectful for us t see someone blatently use or absue the forum, depending on the ban. I typically don't post on ban threads (however I do from time to time), but I can say confidently that anyone trying to defend the integrity of someone who obviously didn't give two shits about the forum needs to rethink their priorities here.

3. I'm going to touch on Method's case seeing as this seemed t be the root of the thread. Mods can edit this out, but I feel it's important to know why method isn't here. Hopefully this will shed some light on the situation. Method was a good guy. Yes, annoying. But a genuine kind of guy. However, I highly doubt he cared about the forum. Showing up on TC while under the influence of NHT and then bragging about it is no way to hold yourself here. Not only that, but when trold it was a bad idea, method told us that "It's fine, there aren't any mods around". That is the exact behaviour that will drive this forum into the ground, and it needs to be eliminated. Again, I have no sympathy for ban threads for people like method who make a clear mockery of the forum.

4. Piggybacking on method's case, I think we need to look at the bigger picture with "dissing" people in the ban threads. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would much rather have smeone tell me they don't like me, or at least make it known to me, directly or indirectly through somethign I could read myself. Derek, who has so valiently defended method's case, said himself he doesn't like method. Now are you telling me we can condemn the people who said it in a ban thread, but not in a thread he can't see? Again, protecting the integrity of people who don't belong here, instead of supporting your fellow devoted HF members seems a little off key with me. I'd be lying if I said method didn't deserve what he got. We gave him patience, and this is the product. So you tell me how delicate we are supposed to treat offenders around here, when that is a possible (and realistic, as we have seen) outcome. This leads me to my next point.

5. Anyone that isn't banned from not posting on the first day has seen a ban thread, unless they are blind. They know how it works, they've seen it in action. This is the kind of personality th forum has regarded termination of HF members. Anyone who sees this, realizes this is what we do, wether they like itor not, knows. If they don't like it, they can follow the rules or leave. That being said... Method (and MANY MANY MANY others like him) had seen threads like that, and on occasion joined in the fun. You can't expect to be the exception when your time comes, assuming you do smethign ban worthy. THEY KNOW! They know it's going to happen. So along with several other points, knowing that they don't care about the forum, it's members, OR what will happen when we DO ban them, why should we change thigns because of a few bleeding hearts?

6. I'm using Chris (INCUBUSRATM) As an example because he's a mod posting in here, and mods have been used as examples for the anti-ban thread argument. I genuinly like Chris. I think he's a true hookah lover, a smart and resonable guy, and overall a good friend (that's right, I called a mod a friend). I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few people on here who kiss ass to him and other mods to get on their good side, for various reasons. However, whe npeople post on the ban threads, we aren't petting their ego. We're congratulating a friend (That's right, I used the F word again) on a job well done, and not an easy job at that. I've talked with chris several times about visiting him in TN for a day of sessions. Now are you goign to tell me I'm going so far to pet his ego that I'm willing to drive across state to see him? Anyone knocking on the mods saying that the threads are for an ego boost clearly doesn't understand the sense of family threaded through this very forum (maybe if they were more active ins omething other than trades, they would understand that). Let me also add on a off topic note, that seniority does NOT equal imprtance. I'm not here to pick fights, but there are members who have been on since the beginning of the forum with only seven posts.

The bottom line is this: This forum makes it's agenda VERY clear. Clearer than any other forum I'm with. Unless you completely ignore the threads posted here, and don't pay any attention to the personalities or groove of the forum and it's members, you know this is how things work. Any acts such as methods, or 1 post vendors, or NHT smokers getting the wrong idea simply don't deserve to be here, and should realize the OBVIOUS consequences for their actions. Speaking as (what I consider myself to be) a well informed HF veteren, someone who has once felt the sting of a banhammer, and someone who until lnow didn't have a side in this, I can confidently leave on one quote:

"It's the way things are."

...And I like it this way....
[/quote]

Dave, great post. You made some VERY good points. I agree with you fully. And thank you for the kind words. :)

[/quote]

Then why are you even still here?

[quote name='mitchard' timestamp='1311910278' post='517563']

[/quote]

Sorry man, when you come on here out of no where asking for things to be changed (when they've been done this way for forever) to another forum's way, it comes off as starting it. Sorry I misinterpreted why you started this thread. I guess I missed the intention.

[quote name='mitchard' timestamp='1311911586' post='517574']
Congratulations on ruining my thread, assholes. I'd like to publicly announce that I hate both of you.
:fuckyou:
[/quote]

Was this necessary? I hope you're joking and not serious...

Rule #1 has been broken in this thread a few times. Debate is always welcome on HF, but this has gone beyond that, I believe.

the only reason this thread exploded so much is because everyone kept looking for updates on the rep thread
  • Upvote 3

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1311914431' post='517578']
funny how 2 guys who live on RHF suddenly show up here cause they don't like Ban threads? Really?
So we throw people out instead of giving them their own private forum and chat for breaking the rules. Remember, unlike other places where customers come before rules, here we don't care if you stay or go really. :)
[/quote]

Mush has a point. Derek, Mitch...you both have been here longer than me. And as far as I can recall, the public ban threads have been in place since I joined. So, unless you had ignored them previously...you knew it was common practice.

Why only now, after 2-3 years, is this a concern? Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1311916054' post='517586']
[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1311914431' post='517578']
[/quote]

Mush has a point. Derek, Mitch...you both have been here longer than me. And as far as I can recall, the public ban threads have been in place since I joined. So, unless you had ignored them previously...you knew it was common practice.

Why only now, after 2-3 years, is this a concern?
[/quote]

They can deny it as much as they want. It's because of Method. Now he can be in their secret club though. Hope he has fun.

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1311915904' post='517585']
the only reason this thread exploded so much is because everyone kept looking for updates on the rep thread
[/quote]

:lol:

I gave you rep for speakin' the troof!
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1311916243' post='517588']
[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1311915904' post='517585']
[/quote]

:lol:

I gave you rep for speakin' the troof!
[/quote]

damn i'm good
  • Upvote 1

I missed my edit window...but I wanted to add, after all is said and done...I'm sure the ban threads are going to stay in place.

If you disagree with it, that's fine. I'm sure there is another forum that is run more suited to your standards. It just seems silly to complain about something that's been going on longer than 3 years, without acknowledging it prior.

Bottom line, if it bothers you that much...either accept it, ignore it, or stay away from it.

Ok if this is going to be a pissing contest about who's been here the longest then get ready for a golden shower boys....

Ban threads have always been here and they will always be here. Why? because like mush said you don't like them don't click on them. This whole "whoa is me, can't my voice be heard" thing you say when someone disagrees with you is getting REALLY OLD. It seems like every time you post on here its just about how you hate something and then when people don't listen to you it's about how the mods have it out for you. Two words GROW UP.

As for you being here a lot longer than Michael is completely invalid. Michael is not only more involved with you but he has done more for this community (see the passing the flip bowl thread, as well as sending out packages like jay.) Join date and post count's are completely stupid its about how much you are involved in the community.