How To Make Your Own Wind Guard

This wind guard design was made to fit vortex bowls. So long as the bowl has an outside diameter under 75mm (3") it should fit. As for height, this wind cover is designed to sit on the coal catcher tray. As long as the height from the coal tray to the top of the bowl doesn't exceed 190mm (7.5") it should fit.
All you need for this project is:
-A ruler that measures in metric (a yard/meter stick is preferable)
-A 25cm x 50cm (10" x 20") piece of metal flashing
-Scissors capable of cutting metal flashing
-A Sharpie
-Something small with a sharp edge to fold metal against. (If it's too big it won't be suitable when it comes to some of the more intricate folds.)
-Some WD40 and a rag/paper towel (if you want to get rid of the sharpie markings.)
-A drill or something to poke small holes into the metal.
-Thin metal wire

Step 1: Use a sharpie and ruler to measure where you will need to cut or fold as per this diagram:

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/hookahcoalcover.png/"][img]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5301/hookahcoalcover.png[/img][/url]

Step 2: Cut along the outside border and wherever color boxes come into contact with other color boxes in the diagram. It should look something like this:
[attachment=5559:fold1.PNG]

Step 3: (Optional) If there is any sharpie markings, you can spray a small amount of WD-40 on a paper towel or rag. Rub said rag/paper towel over the parts with sharpie and it will remove the sharpie markings. This will also remove any tough adhesive residue if there is any. (Make sure to wipe off the metal with a dry, clean rag / paper towel before you use this wind cover on your hookah. >.<)

Step 4: Cut or drill holes 5mm from the outer corners of the green parts and the similarly sized black parts. (you will use these holes to hold everything in place.)

Step 5:Fold the small tabs at a 90 Degree angle:
[attachment=5560:fold2.PNG]

Step 6: Fold the triangle parts at a 90 Degree angle like so:
[attachment=5561:fold3.PNG]

Step 7: Fold the part attached to the triangle at a 90 Degree angle:
[attachment=5562:fold4.PNG]

Step 8: Fold the last 2 parts, but be careful and make sure not to fold them a complete 90 Degrees like the other folds, you can either let it bend naturally (more curvy) or do a slight angular fold. (more sharp angled)
[attachment=5563:fold5.PNG]

Step 9: Cut 4 small lengths of wire and loop them through the holes you punched / drilled through the metal to secure everything together. Tie the wire so everything is nice and snug together.

If you followed everything correctly, you will have an awesome hookah coal tray. Not only does this coal tray protect your coals from wind, the size makes it so that the coal wont fall off the hookah in the case of a hookah tipping incident. :D

FAQ

[b]Can it be put into the same backpack that I use for my hookah?[/b]
Yes, you can put it in a backpack and it wont get crumpled up. (If you use standard metal flashing.)

[b]Can you pick it up with your hands after you've had a few coals burning in it?[/b]
Yes, just make sure to pick it up from the bottom.

[b]Do you realize that this looks like a chimney cap?[/b]
Yes.

If anything confuses you, please reply and I will help you out. Edited by russianwizard

This is one of the more professional looking designs we've seen around here...

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1311794655' post='517411']
This is one of the more professional looking designs we've seen around here...
[/quote]

This
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1311795772' post='517415']
I just wrap foil around my bowl and shape it like a cone.
[/quote]
and this