Is Hookah Smoke Supposed To Actually Taste Sugary Sweet?

I just got a hookah and I have found that the smoke, while not tasting bad, kinda just tastes like plain old smoke. Is hookah smoke supposed to taste sweet, or is it more like cigars where you just appreciate the flavor, even if it just tastes like tobacco?

Its supposed so taste [b]nothing[/b] like cigar/cigarette/tobacco smoke. Shisha smoke consists of vaporized glycerin, not burned tobacco and chemicals... Shisha smoke = Soft and kinda sweet with a taste ranging from subtle to "in your face" depending on brand, flavor etc...

[quote name='Kapten Kanel' timestamp='1311400401' post='516951']
Its supposed so taste [b]nothing[/b] like cigar/cigarette/tobacco smoke. Shisha smoke consists of vaporized glycerin, not burned tobacco and chemicals... Shisha smoke = Soft and kinda sweet with a taste ranging from subtle to "in your face" depending on brand, flavor etc...
[/quote]

^^^ I couldn't have answered it better! Yes, I hate the taste of tobacco. When you smoke some flavors, like vanilla or some coffees, it is subtlely sweet flavor up to flavors like watermelon and mint that leave a very strong wonderful sweet flavor in your mouth. Read the "Beginner's Tips" by INCUBUSRATM, on this line, it is the best one I've seen to ensure you're getting the most out of your shisha--all about heat management and packing the bowl and base water. Hope that helps! Edited by Scrappydoo

I've experienced this. I can tell you though, that it for some people it takes a little while to develop the hookah taste buds. :) I used to smoke a lot of flavours and kept wishing for a stronger flavour, but after a while I began to appreciate the subtlety of those flavours. Some flavours are inargueably stronger than the others sure! As Scrappydoo mentioned, AF watermelon is freakishly sweet, to the point where I find it to be cloying! AF mint on the other hand is another strong flavour that I truly enjoy smoking! Smoking it right now on a hot day and it's awesome!
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1311425871' post='516969']
I've experienced this. I can tell you though, that it for some people it takes a little while to develop the hookah taste buds. :) I used to smoke a lot of flavours and kept wishing for a stronger flavour, but after a while I began to appreciate the subtlety of those flavours. Some flavours are inargueably stronger than the others sure! As Scrappydoo mentioned, AF watermelon is freakishly sweet, to the point where I find it to be cloying! AF mint on the other hand is another strong flavour that I truly enjoy smoking! Smoking it right now on a hot day and it's awesome!
[/quote]

Yes, I usually have to tone down watermelon with something, usually guava! I am not a big mint smoker but it is awesome on a hot day, makes me actually feel cooler when I'm smoking it. I just wonder if he's not getting any flavor; is it a "palette" or does he have a leak or heat problem?

It is as it was mentioned before that at first you will be searching for stronger and stronger flavors and only later begin to appreciate the subtler ones but even so there SHOULD be some kind of difference. It would be best if OP told us wich flavor, brand, coal he is using and whether or not his hookah is leaky...

I have used both AF 2 and AF watermelon, with both warm and ice water. With the watermelon I can sometimes taste a little tiny bit of watermelon flavor, but it is not by any means sweet. I have been using instant-light coals, could that be what is ruining the taste? I try to pack the shisha loosely, so I don't think that is the problem.

Could it be the hookah? It is airtight, but could there be another problem? Edited by archelios

What is your setup?

Man! You couldn't taste AF watermelon? I can't even smoke it straight, the flavour is that strong!

Pics of your bowl when it's packed would help greatly! If I were to guess though, I'd say that may be you're not putting enough tobacco in the bowl? Again, pics will help.

How old is the tobacco btw?

And btw yes, using naturals makes a WORLD of difference to your smoking sessions, but even with quicklites, you should taste something. Are you waiting for the quicklite coals to turn red all over when you put them on the bowl? Because you should.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1311466054' post='517054']
What is your setup?

Man! You couldn't taste AF watermelon? I can't even smoke it straight, the flavour is that strong!

Pics of your bowl when it's packed would help greatly! If I were to guess though, I'd say that may be you're not putting enough tobacco in the bowl? Again, pics will help.

And btw yes, using naturals makes a WORLD of difference to your smoking sessions, but even with quicklites, you should taste something. Are you waiting for the quicklite coals to turn red all over when you put them on the bowl? Because you should.
[/quote]

Do you mean wait for the coal to turn ash color? My coals don't turn red. And I will work on getting a pic of my bowl. My hookah is not a major brand name so I have no clue who makes it. It cost me 75 bucks at an overpriced store, so it is probably a 50 dollar hookah

[quote name='archelios' timestamp='1311466925' post='517055']
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1311466054' post='517054']
What is your setup?

[/quote]

Are you pulling in any smoke? I'm betting you aren't using hot enough coals. Whether you're using quicklights or natural they should be red hot. If you're barely tasting AF watermelon there is something going on. Yeah, pics would help, also test your pipe for leaks--put the whole set up together except the bowl, place your hand over the top of the stem and draw in. There should be no noise or bubbles. If there is, go thru each place where air could come thru and check the seal. I hope this helps.

Do you mean wait for the coal to turn ash color? My coals don't turn red. And I will work on getting a pic of my bowl. My hookah is not a major brand name so I have no clue who makes it. It cost me 75 bucks at an overpriced store, so it is probably a 50 dollar hookah
[/quote]

Too much heat could also be a problem... I don't know what kind/size bowl or coals you're using (aside from the fact that they're QLs). If you're putting too much heat on, it can take on a burnt taste which is closer to how cigarettes taste to me.

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1311862762' post='517475']
...you cleaned your hose with alcohol? what kind of alcohol? also, if your hose isn't a washable hose, that probably wasn't the best idea.
[/quote]

I cleaned it with mouthwash that had a high alcohol content. It was not washable but nothing else worked and it seriously needed to be cleaned

[quote name='archelios' timestamp='1311973632' post='517671']
[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1311862762' post='517475']
...you cleaned your hose with alcohol? what kind of alcohol? also, if your hose isn't a washable hose, that probably wasn't the best idea.
[/quote]

I cleaned it with mouthwash that had a high alcohol content. It was not washable but nothing else worked and it seriously needed to be cleaned
[/quote]

[font="Georgia"][size="3"][color="#4b0082"]SOUNDS like time for a new hose. Seriously, these things need to get replaced often! [/color][/size][/font]