Religion

Beliefs  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe exactly the same as your family or has life/education/outside sources changed that.

• I believe as I was taught by my parents
    • I am still searching
    • My beliefs are very different that what I was raised with.
    • My beliefs are similar to my parents but there are signifcant differences.

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1326713345' post='535721']
[quote name='Skeletor' timestamp='1326712235' post='535720']
All right! Thanks for your answer. Maybe that's the case in every western country. In a small community it's a much bigger deal than in a big city.
[/quote]

I live in Las Vegas, and most people I've met don't believe in god. but.. the ones who do.. are insane bible thumping types. just out of control.
[/quote]

Nice to meet you. Now you can say you have met a non insane bible thumping type.

Peace.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1327008858' post='536127']
[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1326713345' post='535721']
[quote name='Skeletor' timestamp='1326712235' post='535720']
All right! Thanks for your answer. Maybe that's the case in every western country. In a small community it's a much bigger deal than in a big city.
[/quote]

I live in Las Vegas, and most people I've met don't believe in god. but.. the ones who do.. are insane bible thumping types. just out of control.
[/quote]

Nice to meet you. Now you can say you have met a non insane bible thumping type.

Peace.
[/quote]

ohhh nice to meet you too! :-D

• 6 months later...
Ok I feel the need to revive this since I have been thinking about religion a lot lately. This girl I have been talking to has been raised a very strong non denominational Christian and I was raised with the freedom to choose any religion I pleased. I have read the bible. I have looked in to buddhism. I have attended Mormon churches but as I learn more about these I just find myself asking why more and more. The chick-fil-a thing has a part In me reviving this also. I am as some would say atheist but in reality I am undefined I believe in no higher power and there is no destiny. Everything we do will give us results and I think Henry David Thoreau said it best "man only hits what he aims for. So aim high". I find my self questioning why these people join this religion and all I can find are different answers. One man did it to get through a rough patch in his life. This woman did it because she saw the wonderful morals in the stories that were told but the one thing it always leads back to is the children. Children have religion crammed down their throats from a young age and it's honestly everywhere there is no escaping it. The issue is that every religion when broken down to the simplistic morals they teach wants the same thing yet they teach to hate those who do not believe the same thing as you. How can someone praise a god who reigns destruction upon those he finds unworthy or flawed. I will never try to take someones religion from them but with my limited vocabulary I find that questions I bring forth come off as aggressive when they are not meant too. I just wanted to vent a little so I can stop bothering my friends with my religious babble because they seem to hate it or not understand it. Super rant complete and none of this was meant to hurt anyone

The main problem I see is that, like politics. people don't want to hear what they disagree with regardless of whether or not what being said is true or not. Also haters gonna hate. If I say something that someone disagrees with they will often hurl untruths or misunderstandings of what I have said. I never went to church until I was 7. My Dad became a minister when I was about 12. When I moved out I was very rebellious and researched and dabbled in almost everything. I have come to the following conclusion,
The universe is like a country with laws. These laws whether you agree with them or not are "the law" and must be judged against and if broken punished. God is like a judge. He wants to be fare and He loves everyone and wants them to be obedient to the law.
Like all laws they are broken from time to time. If you are caught stealing you face a judge and if convicted you are punished. So like any good judge God gave us a lawyer. Jesus is the lawyer that will defend you (if you allow it) to the judge. He will even if asked take the fall for you even if your are found guilty.(but again only if you ask and regret what you did) So do you sit in jail,cell door open waiting to be punished or take the pardon and walk out the door. This of coarse is a simple example and you can take it for what it is worth. Now that being said is the law open to interpretation? Yes I am sure. But if we look at the laws they all boil down to loving God (the law) and loving each other. As a Christian I don't hate anyone. I don't judge. Color,sex,creed,sexual orientation I don't care. I love you. The judge will sort out the rest and I hope you have a good lawyer. There are people out there who do hate people and misunderstand Gods laws and love and I feel sorry for them. They too will be judged by the same rules as everyone else. My advice to everyone is live YOUR life,love your neighbor and your God and let others work out their own issues. I love you all and I want you to know there are more who think like me than you might imagine.
Ray
P.S. Don't confuse the rules of man with that of God. Mankind always makes things way more complicated than it needs to be.

I've run the gamut in my life. I started out Baptist (not crazy fundamentalist though) and was happy with that for most of my life. I was involved in the church and did just about everything, I even went on a mission trip to Kenya at age 16. Then, a couple events happened at age 21 (rather not get into those particulars) and I decided that any just God would not have let it happen. I was essentially Atheist. After a time passed and after talking with my godfather, who is a minister, I decided to go back to church. My girlfriend is Catholic, and I've thought some about converting, but I've decided that I'm happy where I am and that conversion isn't what I want to do. Thankfully, she's ok with that, and is actually a little relieved that she's not the reason for me converting.

• 1 month later...