Grilling Lump Wood Coals

Chreees

Post your reviews below for natural lump grilling coals. These are coals that are marketed for grilling, but are safe for hookah use. Any non-review posts will be deleted by the Mod Squad.

[size="3"][b]Kroger Brand(Store Brand) Natural wood Lump Charcoal

[/b][/size][size="2"]Let me first start this review by giving out a disclaimer:
[b]UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD YOU USE ANY GRILLING BRIQUETTES FOR HOOKAH USE, OR ANY OTHER EASY-LITE GRILLING CHARCOAL.
THESE NON-NATURAL COALS CONTAIN HARMFUL CHEMICALS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE INGESTED THROUGH HOOKAH SMOKING.
ONLY [u]100% NATURAL, NON TOXIC HARDWOOD LUMP CHARCOAL [/u]MAY BE USED SAFELY.

[/b]Anywho... I give all charcoal a 10/10 rating, and then dock points periodically through the review for a final score.

[b][u]Price/Amount/Packaging[/u][/b]
I bought this bag of natural lump grilling charcoal for 5 Dollars. The bag weighs at 4KG of coals on the package, but I honestly fel it's closer to 5-6 KG of coal. It's a large bag, about the size of my torso. It comes sewn shut with string, packaged in a heavy paper material. Well packaged.

[b][u]Size/Consistancy/Quality[/u][/b]
They come in all shapes and sizes, ranging from large, forearm sized planks to smaller fist sized lumps. No two pieces are alike, hence the name "lump" charcoal.
The larger peices were brken up using a ball pin hammer until the sizes were acceptable for proper heat management.
They're studier than any lemonwood hookah lumps I've ever purchased. They feel much heavier, and look/smell/feel much more natural than hookah lump charcoal.

[b][u]Lighting: Oder/Time taken/Ease of Lighting
[/u][/b]So these coals pretty mch require a couple things to get them lit under 12-15 minutes. A coil/gas burner and some form of a windcover. A decenly sized coal takes(with a windcover) about 6-7 minutes to heat up thouroghly, no flipping required. During lighting, these coals smell awful. Like a fiery grill, or campfire. Along with the oder, they spark profusely, just like a campfire. Another reason to cover them during lighting. However once fully lit, the smell dissapates quickly. Assuming you have something to cover them with and have a coil burner, these will light fiery red hot in equal or less time than your favorite coconut coal. Lighting them outside is highly recommended.

[b][u]Heat Output/Coal longengevity/Overall Effeciency of Coal
[/u][/b]Once on the bowl, these smoke absolutely wonderful. The bigger pieces give out a suprisingly huge amount of heat, where as the smaller ones are on par with canaries. I know size makes a difference, but this is a big difference. Nice to have good heat management form brand to brand, all simply through coal size. The coal will last an astonishingly long time, compared to other lump coals. These grilling lumps will last up to two hours. The small ones, about half as long. The issue isn't in their longengevity... The issue is the fact that you have to have a pretty good pull on it a majority of the time or they go out. Absence from the session for 10 minutes or longer and these coals go out. They were, after all, designed to be placed in a constant heat source. If you are sitting dwn and plan on smoking, good. If you plan on reading a book, talking on the phone, or doing anythign else that requires large amounts of time in between puffs, keep your coil burner on. The heat output and longengevity of these coals are astoundingly top notch...IF THEY WOULD STAY LIT.

[b][u]Taste/Odor During Session
[/u][/b]These coals have a slight taste to them, I'd say like a bad coconut coal, or the best lump you can buy. The taste intensifies when too much heat is used. This usually isn't a problem, proper heat management will keep from a coaly taste. They do have some smell, but it's ever so slight and hardly noticable nless you stick your face in them. Suprised at the lack of coal taste during the session. You'll find it's pretty prevalant during the first 3-5 puffs, but then goes away.

[b][u]Overall Thoughts/Rating
[/u][/b]If you are out of coals and have no way of getting to a smoke shop, these are a great answer to your problems. Five bucks bought me enough coals to last months upon months, no problem. They do go out frequently if I'm not chekcin on them or reguraly puffing on the hookah. No crazy chain smoking, just being absent minded and forgetting to smoke will cause a coal to go out. I think for someone in a seriosu financial bind, this is the absolute best way to go. The sheer amount of coal you get for 5 dollars is astounding. Overall, I was extremely suprised with how these worked out for me. Good little treat.
[b]
No coals or cash, and need something to last - 8.5/10, Best lumps you can buy on the market, and these aren't even meant for hookah!

Coconut coals are available, or you demand perfection in your coals - 6/10, these work, but they aren't the best, and never will be the best. The brand, nor the type of coal.[/b]

[/size]