Sultan Japanese Coals

This review is for Sultan coals that can be found in a box that looks like this:

[IMG]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb349/JustCallMeDom/IMAG1296.jpg[/IMG]

I came across these coals in my local tobacco store. I usually use the Golden Canary Japanese coals, or the Fumari coals, but these were what was available in Oklahoma and I didn't feel like waiting for an online order.

I have had bad experience with other Japanese style coals (like the Easy Lites that come in the black and red box or Potion coals). But I reluctantly purchased this box. I had never heard of them and I figured it was worth a shot. I'm glad I did.

I used an Egyptian style bowl and smoked Tangiers.

Heat: These burn hotter than your average Japanese style coal, but are not so hot that they ruin the bowl. I use three to start out with like other Japanese style coals, but I don't need more than two lit at any time to keep the bowl going. With these, I tend to use less coal at any given time.

Duration: About 35 mins before I have to start lighting another coal. These last longer than Fumari coals and Golden Canaries. So as I have said before, I tend to use less.

Lighting: To get these started I use a hot plate and it takes just about 1 min longer to light than with other coals. From when I turn the hot plate on until they are ready, it takes about 10 mins. And when lit on top of another coal, they take about 3 mins longer than others, but it seems to be about the same. About 15 mins until it is all the way lit.

Ash: It has silver flakes, but I do not feel that the flakey ash becomes too airborne. The silver coating ash doesn't seem to bother me. In fact, I would say that the ash is much easier to put up with than Golden Canaries. However, sometimes they split down the middle while burning. I don't notice it until I go to move the coal. No big deal, and it does not poorly affect my session.

Smoke: There is some visible smoke that rises up from the bowl, but not enough to bother me.

Flavor: None, as long as the coal is mostly lit. And when lighting a new coal on the bowl, there is also no taste.

Over all: I prefer Japanese style coals and I think these are a top pick for me. They burn hotter, last longer than other Japanese style coals and the ash is easy to put up with.

I recommend these to any hookah smoker and I will be buying these from now on since they are easy to find in my area.

Here is another thread talking about coals that go by the name "Sultan" and other more common Japanese style coals.
http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/11719-sultan-coals/

• 7 months later...
Ginger and I both have these coals... probably the worst coals we have ever tried. We have had them on a coil burner, and a butain lighter up to it. .The grey film that is around the coal prevent the coal half the time from properly lighting, and even then when it does light, the coals don't light evenly. Once you finally get it started and red enough to even heat a bowl, they die out in 30min. Then you need to start a whole new set of coals.

Conclusion... Save yourself the time and money, These are more of a headache then coal.