Tea...

Coleman

Ok so for years upon years I have despised tea, until recently when i began to enjoy it. Now i really like green teas with mint but have no idea where to get good tasting teas. If any of you are tea drinkers and could give me ideas of good green teas, decaf or caffeinated. I really like mint but any green teas would be nice to try. and if you could tell me where you get the teas from lol.

do you like it cold or hot?
For hot teas, I like just about any thing really. For cold there is a brand called hones-tea. They should have it at local supermarkets in the refrigrated drink section probably. It's got a pretty bomb green tea flavor.

there's a store that i found that has the best teas i've ever tried, teavana, i believe it's called. but it's really expensive and all loose leaf.

if you have the money to spare, try there

+1 to Teavana. good store.

if you want something a bit more commercially available, check out Twinings. although, it's not exceptionally common like Celestial Seasonings.

[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1309673436' post='514453']
Im for sure looking for hot teas, I have no idea why but i cant do iced tea, it makes me sick unless its an arnold palmer!
[/quote]

You sir are definitely not from the south! Haha. Here in the southeast we love our damn iced sweet tea!

As for hot tea, Celestial Seasonings... can't go wrong. I currently am digging their blueberry flavor. Add a spoonful of sugar... delicious!

EDIT: Just saw Jay's post... Twinings is great too.

I order a lot of tea from a guy on Etsy. It's all hand-blended and hand-bagged, but really inexpensive. He has lots of sampler pack kind of things too. He has a sale section too... I've gotten 50 bags for $2 before.

teaman.etsy.com

[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1309774498' post='514550']
I order a lot of tea from a guy on Etsy. It's all hand-blended and hand-bagged, but really inexpensive. He has lots of sampler pack kind of things too. He has a sale section too... I've gotten 50 bags for $2 before.

teaman.etsy.com
[/quote]

Good Call! Going to order some from this guy soon. Very cheap too.

[quote name='Bubbels' timestamp='1309808055' post='514573']

teaman.etsy.com
[/quote]

[/quote]

His teas make good iced tea too if you're interested... usually I do a few bags of his flavored tea and a few regular black or green tea bags. He has some instructions on his page for it I think.
I really like his Christmas tea if he has it at this time of year, haha.

[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1309811692' post='514576']
[quote name='Bubbels' timestamp='1309808055' post='514573']

teaman.etsy.com
[/quote]

[/quote]

His teas make good iced tea too if you're interested... usually I do a few bags of his flavored tea and a few regular black or green tea bags. He has some instructions on his page for it I think.
I really like his Christmas tea if he has it at this time of year, haha.
[/quote]

Couldn't find the Christmas Tea (wonder why.... [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif[/img])

Have ordered my favourite: Jasmine Green Tea - to drink cold
Peach Black Tea
Apricot Black Tea

[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1309597667' post='514388']
Ok so for years upon years I have despised tea, until recently when i began to enjoy it. Now i really like green teas with mint but have no idea where to get good tasting teas. If any of you are tea drinkers and could give me ideas of good green teas, decaf or caffeinated. I really like mint but any green teas would be nice to try. and if you could tell me where you get the teas from lol.
[/quote]

I don't like mint but I found a company called DIMLAH that makes an amazing green tea with Jasmine. They also make berry, orange, vanilla. ALL are pretty good. I get mine from the grocery store, but I also think you can order online.

Tea is part of my identity and for me there are 2 kinds: strong-ass Iraqi tea, and everything else.

For the first kind, get yourself some loose Ceylon black tea and brew it until it can fuel nuclear reactors. Turkish tea is similar and acceptable as a substitute, though not as strong.

For everything else: Various Chinese white teas, Longjing green, Tieguanyin oolong, Lapsang Souchong smoked tea, various Japanese sencha, houjicha, bancha. Also on occasion Assam. For Moroccan mint tea, Chinese gunpowder green tea and a bunch of fresh mint.

I vehemently dislike tea with fruit flavors. fruity herbal teas* are OK, but don't go messing with my real tea. All that sweet vanilla, cinnamon stuff is just nonsense.

*properly called a tisane, as tea is made strictly from the tea bush, Camellia sinensis.

I'm late, but I must insist that if you buy tea, it be loose leaf. Far better than bagged tea. As suggested before in this topic... several times... Teavana is great, if a bit pricey sometimes. I don't know many other popular chains that sell any decent amount of loose leaf, but I know Wegmans does if you have one in your area.
Just finished a cup of Lapsang Souchong. Great stuff.

[quote name='Moose' timestamp='1309932633' post='514799']
I'm late, but I must insist that if you buy tea, it be loose leaf. Far better than bagged tea. As suggested before in this topic... several times... Teavana is great, if a bit pricey sometimes. I don't know many other popular chains that sell any decent amount of loose leaf, but I know Wegmans does if you have one in your area.
Just finished a cup of Lapsang Souchong. Great stuff.
[/quote]
Used to live in Rochester where Wegmans started. I really miss that store.
Ray

Ok so as of today I have a job interview, if i get the job im going to check out teavana like most of you have reccomended. thank you all any more suggestions will be welcomed :D

[quote name='drumboy410' timestamp='1309997473' post='514945']
Just a hint for good tea - Be sure to check out the brewing temp and the infusion time for the tea. If you burn your tea you won't want to drink it.
[/quote]

Unless you're making Iraqi or Turkish tea in which case steep FOREVER over steam, or Indian style tea in which case boil that shit

[quote name='drumboy410' timestamp='1309997473' post='514945']
Just a hint for good tea - Be sure to check out the brewing temp and the infusion time for the tea. If you burn your tea you won't want to drink it.
[/quote]

Oh, I didn't even think about this...
Yeah, the different tea groups have different steeping times and temperatures. I've got a water heater that heats it to preset tea temperature heating settings, but it's not like you can't boil some damned water and let it cool for the appropriate amount of time first.

You really want to check out Adagio.com and Teamerchant.com

Get yourself a nice, small teapot with a very large looseleaf filter. Personally, I didn't care for anything more than standard iced tea until I got into the good stuff.

Japanese green tea tastes very green and has a lot of earthy notes while being extremely smooth. Chinese green is more bitter and more complex in flavor. Taiwanese green has a thicker texture and has a natural flowery and slightly sweet flavor. Taiwanese oolong is a real treat and you really should try it. Black and Darjeeling style tea from the Ceylon region can be found cheaply and is of VERY high quality.

Try Darjeeling or similar oolong-blacks if you get the chance, very unlike black tea we are used to in Western Europe and the US.

Received my order from Teaman off Etsy yesterday.
Very nice tea.

Brewed up a Peach Black tea and let it go cold. Tasted great with a pinch of sugar. Well recommended.

• 1 year later...