I cooked up some home made shisha last night. I used honey, tobacco, glycerin, and flavoring (grenadine).

It turned out pretty good, but I would like to experiment with what the recipe I have.

My question is: does anyone know what glycerin does for shisha? I know it helps preserve some foods, acts as sugar free filler for other things, and on wikipedia it says that it's used in some tobacco products... What effect does it have on hookah though?

[quote name='peaceman27' timestamp='1306532429' post='510883']
I cooked up some home made shisha last night. I used honey, tobacco, glycerin, and flavoring (grenadine).

It turned out pretty good, but I would like to experiment with what the recipe I have.

My question is: does anyone know what glycerin does for shisha? I know it helps preserve some foods, acts as sugar free filler for other things, and on wikipedia it says that it's used in some tobacco products... What effect does it have on hookah though?
[/quote]
thick smoke?

Its what creates big volume of smoke and flavour. For different types of glycerin molasses check out [url="http://www.shishashop.co.uk/jeffs-seven-elements"]http://www.shishashop.co.uk/jeffs-seven-elements[/url]
There are loads of different ones there to experiment mixing with to make unique flavours and they are pretty cheap too :)

What glycerin technically does is pull moisture from the air. That's why it's used in soaps, shaving creams, etc. How it makes smoke thicker stems from that in some way, but I have no idea how.

I think it might also have something to do with the consistency. I left some shisha out over the last couple hours, one with glycerin and one without. The one without is still sitting in a bunch of liquid, while the other one looks like AF.

[quote name='peaceman27' timestamp='1306546513' post='510900']
I think it might also have something to do with the consistency. I left some shisha out over the last couple hours, one with glycerin and one without. The one without is still sitting in a bunch of liquid, while the other one looks like AF.
[/quote]

I would imagine that is because it's pulling the moisture out of the sisha and not the air (water, like electricity, likes to take the path of least resistance).

Glycerol (Glycerin) is a sort of alcohol. It vaporizes at a lower temperature than other household alcohols, but produces a very large amount of fine vapor when it does. In fact, the ingredient used in smoke machines consists primarily of glycerin.It is also used in the preparation of topical skin creams and certain foods as a sweetener.A decent amount of glycerin in your shisha makes the smoke very cloudy and white. It also sweetens the smoke up.I would, however, not recommend overuse. Glycerin, although not a volatile chemical in small amounts, pushes away the flavor.The honey in your mix plays the role of burn retardant, keeping the shisha fresh while you smoke it. Flavoring should be less artificial. I refer to a Google document by Vae Victus (whom I think participates here as well).Happy experimenting!