How To Extend A Downstem?

Maybe this should go in the DIY section, but does anyone have a good way to extend a very short downstem by a few inches?

Some (correct size for your downstem) rubber or similar material tubing from Home Depot, cut it to desired length, pop it on. Bam, money. I thought about doing it for the Nawras so I could use it on the trumpet vase.

If you are willing to remove the nut/bulb/whatever is on the end:
[IMG]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2669/mmspicturei.jpg[/IMG]

If not, then you have a couple decent options. Cut some straws to about 3" long and stick three or so into the downstem and make a seal with electrical tape. The other way I just started doing was getting some copper pipe with an OD just under the ID of the downstem. Same concept at the straws, but only one tube. And its metal. Make a makeshift grommet/seal out of tape, and the fit should be snug.

I suppose a vinyl hose over the end would work as well if you can seal it somehow.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1306012097' post='510249']
I'm willing to remove the nut but it's welded on and I have nothing to cut it off with...
[/quote]

Use your teeth! Perfectly safe...

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1306012210' post='510250']
[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1306012097' post='510249']
I'm willing to remove the nut but it's welded on and I have nothing to cut it off with...
[/quote]

Use your teeth! Perfectly safe...
[/quote]

seems like a good idea to me...
  • Upvote 1

not sure if this is a good idea , but might work :

cut a can from a drink , and roll it like you would roll a rolling paper to a shape of a straw , stick it in the inside diameter of the stem (that way it'll expand plus u wont have to cut the lower part) - and seal it with silicon or something ...

:) Edited by method

[quote name='method' timestamp='1306013883' post='510253']
not sure if this is a good idea , but might work :

cut a can from a drink , and roll it like you would roll a rolling paper to a shape of a straw , stick it in the inside diameter of the stem (that way it'll expand plus u wont have to cut the lower part) - and seal it with silicon or something ...

:)
[/quote]

Short of buying special equipment, this is a great idea! Thank you sir!

i did this with my KM regular tri. i wanted to put it in my size 26 czech base, but the downstem was too long on the pipe for the thing to fit - so i had to get creative.

it's actually pretty easy.

you'll need a few things: pipe cutter, deburring tool, and some liquid weld stuff (there's some that you can use that's safe that you can apply heat from a confectioner's torch with). pipe.

1) cut the original downstem about 2" above the bottom nut thing.

2) deburr both ends you cut

3) take the 2" long piece to the hardware store and find a pipe that barely fits over it. buy that

4) go home and measure how long you need your new downstem to be.

5) make the cut(s) and deburr

6) apply the liquid weld to the pipe and to the downstem that's attached to the hookah and affix

7) repeat, but with the other piece.

8) if you've matched the materials and everything it should look that the hookah was designed that way and it will look pro - not like some shit project you rigged up - and you're hookah will still have the nut/bulb on the bottom!
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1306024714' post='510262']
Rep for you khayyi, brilliant!
[/quote]

anytime!

i'm not sure if i was clear in the previous post, but the new piece should extend all the way from the hub to the nut/bulb, and the existing downstem pieces will be "underneath" the new piece.

in order to buy ALL the materials, you're probably looking at about $20 or so, but if it's going to make a killer combination, or is for your favorite rig, it's totally worth it (as you already know)

Result! Sawed the existing downstem in half, went to the hardware store, and found some brass piping that JUST fit over - 17/32" diameter (I also got 1/2" just in case but that didn't quite fit). It's tight enough that I just put one wrapping of electrical tape around the old stem, and the new one slides over VERY snugly. No need for welding or soldering. It's now about 8" long:

[IMG]http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225224_654892313761_37003198_35075520_4484022_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225211_654892318751_37003198_35075521_6995877_n.jpg[/IMG]

The old, intact downstem was only about 2 inches longer from where I sawed it off...SHORT. Right now it's longish by Lebanese standards, but short by Egyptian standards. However, I know what kind of pipe and where to get it, so if I ever want to make it longer, I'm set!